-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In the face of rising food costs, poor folks going hungry, and all that, local governments across America are paying millions of dollars to sterilize deer.
Just insane behavior.
link to story
From New York to California, local governments are spending taxpayer dollars to sterilize female deer, but critics say the approach is a misguided, ineffective and �incredibly expensive� approach to thinning out the herds that has become a suburban scourge.

While some communities have used lethal means to curb the exploding population of deer, which roam backyards, destroy gardens and wander into traffic, others have taken what they see as a more humane approach � tranquilizing female deer and removing their ovaries.

It's expensive: The town of Cayuga Heights, N.Y., spent $35,808 to sterilize a dozen does last month. A year earlier, the town spent $148,315 to remove ovaries from 137 female deer. And after the 2012 effort, a survey found an estimated 225 deer � or 125 per square mile � were living in the village, well above the recommended population for suburban communities of 15 to 20 deer per square mile.

�In most cases, they are not effective and incredibly expensive,� Kip Adams, director of education and outreach at The Quality Deer Management Association, told FoxNews.com of sterilization efforts. �There�s a lot of costs involved and at the same time, there�s a lot of stress placed on the animals. And at the end of the day, in most cases you still have well over 100 deer per mile, which is at least five times higher than the recommended amount.�

The process of surgically sterilizing the white-tailed deer begins with the capture and tranquilization of the animal. Surgeries are then either performed on the spot within 20 minutes, or the animal is taken to a facility to be sterilized by tubal ligation or removal of the ovaries. Average costs are about $1,200 per deer, according to a 2011 report by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation that did not recommend such programs.

�Fertility control is often suggested or advocated by individuals and organizations as a humane and cost-effective way to control deer populations or to reduce damages or conflicts associated with deer, especially in urban-suburban areas,� the report stated. �However, based on considerable research on fertility control for deer, including several studies sponsored by DEC, this strategy has not proven to be a viable, stand-alone option for managing free-ranging deer populations.�

Deer, which have no natural predators in the suburbs, can be more than just a nuisance, experts say. Too many in any populated area can lead to increased automobile accidents, Lyme disease and negative ecological impacts, Adams said. In 2011, the latest year covered by federal statistics, 199 people were killed in crashes involving animals, including deer, led by 21 fatalities in Texas and 13 in Indiana. In 2007, that figure reached a 16-year high when 223 people were killed nationwide in wrecks involving animals, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The nonprofit group at the center of the sterilization push is White Buffalo, Inc., a Connecticut-based wildlife management and research organization that has, according to its website, captured more than 1,000 deer and removed nearly 10,000 others from the wild. Although White Buffalo also employs lethal means of deer control, it has been hired to conduct sterilization programs in more than 10 states since 1995, including Rhode Island, Iowa, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

The sterilization approach is also being eyed in Fairfax City, Va., which will become the first jurisdiction in the state to use the sterilization route if the city receives clearance from the state�s Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Fairfax City Mayor Scott Silverthorne told the Washington Post he was seeking a humane alternative to hunting to trim the city�s �exploding� deer population when he was led to Anthony DeNicola, co-founder and president of the group.

DeNicola, who has more than two decades of experience in wildlife ecology, told FoxNews.com that the goal in Cayuga Heights is to sterilize virtually every female deer in the area, a process that could take up to three years.

"Everyone has an opinion and most of them are worthless," DeNicola said of his critics. "No one has ever done anything on this level."

The cost of the procedure will lessen as the program continues, DeNicola said, due to local volunteers supplemented by wildlife professionals.

"You're looking at about $1,000 per deer," he said. "And in [Fairfax City], the cost will be closer to $500 per deer due to local veterinarians donating their time."

DeNicola said the group�s efforts are humane and address inflated deer populations that plague a town, city or county � as well as its roadways, gardens and backyards.

The Fairfax City Council reportedly voted last month to approve the sterilization program, which will cost taxpayers no money since a group of private donors agreed to fund a two-year grant to cover the cost of the project.

Even White Buffalo acknowledges that sterilizing deer can be problematic. A guide posted on the group�s website details the limitations of surgical sterilization or implementation programs, including stress to the animal and cost.

�Implantation is effective, but it requires animal restraint and is stressful to the treated animal, time consuming, and costly,� according to "Managing White-Tailed Deer in Suburban Environments: A Technical Guide." �Surgical sterilization by implants or tubal ligation has been evaluated; however, this approach has significant limitations because of the effort required to capture and handle individual deer. This method may be practical in small (less than 2 square miles), isolated or enclosed parks, arboretums and corporate complexes with few deer.�

The simplest approach to controlling exploding deer populations � as well as the cheapest and perhaps the most humane one � is to shoot enough of the animals to ensure a manageable herd, Adams told FoxNews.com.

�The only effective way to reduce deer herds is the removal of deer,� Adams said, adding that a direct shot from a rifle will adequately do the job. �And you need to do something to reduce those levels. What we�re seeing in a lot of these suburban areas is just more people and more human development in the habitat of deer, just more people moving into areas where deer have been.�

Still, Martin Mersereau, director of the Cruelty Investigations Department at the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, told FoxNews.com that group supports nonlethal methods of wildlife control like habitat modification.

�As far as surgical sterilization of deer, that causes extreme stress to the animal,� he said. �You have to remember, these are easily terrified prey animals who view us as predators. Imagine being trapped, manhandled, transported, sterilized and then returned to the wild. That�s simply not humane.�

The deer can also suffer from a condition called capture myopathy, a stress-related system shutdown to the shock of being handled by man.

�Even these deer that are successfully released, there�s a chance they�re going to die anyway just having gone through that,� he said. �It�s a real concern here.�

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gov't = stupidity..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fairfax VA is at saturation point with urban sprawl and has all the attendant maladies. It is swamped by clueless urbanites including hordes of Hispanics, Asians, soccer moms, and liberals of all stripes, alternative sexes, and recent elections are dominated by Dhimmicrats who will do any damn silly thing for the appearance of it. Money is no object as they just take more in taxes.

Their sneaky little secret is that they remove deer all the time from public green space with SWAT sniper team using silencers and night vision gear. They also have an all-season registered group of bow hunters that local neighborhoods sign up for deer eradication in housing areas. Any drop in deer population noted will be more due to the latter methods than the sterilizations. But the liberals will claim success anyway.

1B

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why don't they just hand out condoms to the bucks? laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lets see�..

$35,808 to sterilize 12, $148,315 to remove ovaries from 137 more= $184,123 to basically neutralize 149 deer.

I personally would be willing to decrease the problem that much for only $100,000 grin

Call me�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
others have taken what they see as a more humane approach � tranquilizing female deer and removing their ovaries.

Politics have NO place in proper wildlife management.

Those puckin idiots just proved it again. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The gun grabbers keep saying, "No one is trying to take away your deer rifles." "It is the assault rifles that have no purpose in hunting and no one 'needs'."

Anyone on here knows our "deer rifles" are nothing more than terminologically different than a "sniper rifle". The targets, er, politicians in Washington DC know this too.
The gun grabbers would quickly say no citizen "needs" a sniper rifle, and could get some mileage out of that among the ignorant sheep.

Eliminate the deer and voila', deer hunting is a thing of the past and thus, no one needs these "sniper rifles".

How's that for a pre-emptive tinfoil hat strike? wink

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lets see�..

$35,808 to sterilize 12, $148,315 to remove ovaries from 137 more= $184,123 to basically neutralize 149 deer.

I personally would be willing to decrease the problem that much for only $100,000 grin

Call me�.

Heck, I see potential for a huge new, taxpayer funded, government program/department on the par with DEA, Homeland Security, ATF, et. al.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by snubbie
The gun grabbers keep saying, "No one is trying to take away your deer rifles." "It is the assault rifles that have no purpose in hunting and no one 'needs'."

Anyone on here knows our "deer rifles" are nothing more than terminologically different than a "sniper rifle". The targets, er, politicians in Washington DC know this too.
The gun grabbers would quickly say no citizen "needs" a sniper rifle, and could get some mileage out of that among the ignorant sheep.

Eliminate the deer and voila', deer hunting is a thing of the past and thus, no one needs these "sniper rifles".

Damn. I reckon I won't tell anyone that I shot my last deer with my AR-15 then. That would really blow their minds...Especially since I only used one shot out of that 20 round magazine. I guess they think it unloads the full capacity each time you pull the trigger. grin

PLUS my AR-15 has a precision NightForce on it. Does that make it a "Sniper/Assault rifle"... cry

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Damn. I reckon I won't tell anyone that I shot my last deer with my AR-15 then. That would really blow their minds...Especially since I only used one shot out of that 20 round magazine. I guess they think it unloads the full capacity each time you pull the trigger. grin

PLUS my AR-15 has a precision NightForce on it. Does that make it a "Sniper/Assault rifle"... cry

Double whammy! You're obviously some home grown domestic terrorist wannabe! laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We deal with excess population in the city by killing the deer and giving the meat to Food Share. The police kill the deer under authorization from FWP.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider that a scam too.

Taxpayers would do it for free and even pay to do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BarryC
I consider that a scam too.

Taxpayers would do it for free and even pay to do it.

That might get a little dangerous in the city to say nothing about the Bambites going berserk over killing Bambi. The police do it at night with live trapping and a bolt gun.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here it's an excuse for yahoo LEOs to go out and wax deer with their M4s at night.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That is why, by in large, that I've never understood having hunting seasons, period.

I understand it for certain areas or very limited game or state lands etc

Hunting is about feeding yourself and your family. Who gives a sheit if you shoot a deer in June or November? I certain do not.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There's going to be a bunch of "horny" bucks running around when all of the does don't come in heat. Or the does that aren't sterilized will be have to do a lot of extra service.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They will likely be charged with rape.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

No, this is EXACTLY on the mark. Wolf reintroduction is a classic example.
IMO you are right on the money.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who would have ever believed Colorado would turn out to be anti-gun.....The stupid laws Colorado passed forced lots of jobs to leave Colorado and lots of hunters to go to another state to hunt. They still haven't repealed the laws.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cayuga Heights = Ithaca = Cornell + Ithaca College. No big surprise that they are doing something insane. Insane is the norm there.

The DEC had a special January, archery only, season in that area last year. It mostly failed as nobody could find a place to hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.