Hop To
S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/41/pid/26065/?viewImg=1

I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of building an AR. To give you an idea of what I have in my head I put that ad up.

From what I can tell it has a 16" barrel. I would like an 18". I can't tell if it's a carbine or mid length gas system. I do like the barrel/handguard length ratio though.

Would I be way off to go with a rifle gas system on an 18" hunting rifle that will shoot warm reloaded ammo using 75 gr. hpbt's?

Barrel would be medium to heavy. Been looking at a Noveske barrel with gas block already installed. Accuracy at medium to long range is first priority. Any other barrel ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're looking for a specific look, I think that link has a 16" barrel and 15" rail. Like this one....
[Linked Image]

There aren't a lot of rails offered in anything longer than 15" that I know of. This is a 15" rail on an 18" barrel.
[Linked Image]

I would definitely go rifle length gas on an 18" barrel. Noveske uses a their own intermediate length gas on their 18" barrels, but I wouldn't avoid anything Noveske. If you decide you want a 16" barrel get mid-length gas.

I haven't used a lot of different SS barrels and don't want to comment on that, but I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. I've heard good things about Noveske, WOA, Black Hole, Rainier's good barrels and others. I have a SS BCM and really like it. I haven't gotten spectacular accuracy out of it, but I've only shot it with a 6x coarse cross-haired scope and Black Hills blue box is the only "good" ammo I've tried in it. BUT it shoots everything I've fed it (XM193, WWB, IMI) into 1.25" and all of them to nearly the same POI. I'm very happy with it and BCM has a very good reputation for getting their gas ports right and not over-gassing their barrels.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most match grade AR barrels are pretty good. You rarely hear of bad accuracy reports coming from any of the well known manufacturers listed above. From what I can tell in the image on dillon's site, thats a Wilson Combat Recon SR.

Hard to go wrong with anything Noveske. For reference, this is a 18" Noveske SPR barrel with a 13.5" Novese NSR handguard.

[Linked Image]
AR-15 18" SPR by X Ring, on Flickr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ScottM
Accuracy at medium to long range is first priority. Any other barrel ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Don't expect bolt accuracy, at med and long rane. You can get pretty close, but an AR will never match a bolt. Then again if close is fine which it is for all but squirrel and pdogs past 400 your good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is 1/2-3/4 MOA OK? I have two chrome lined barrels that will produce that type of accuracy with TSX and Sierra bullets. I think more than 50% of problem is in the rifle scope you use.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by ScottM
Accuracy at medium to long range is first priority. Any other barrel ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Don't expect bolt accuracy, at med and long rane. You can get pretty close, but an AR will never match a bolt. Then again if close is fine which it is for all but squirrel and pdogs past 400 your good.

You must have some damned fine bolt rifles.

S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the replies. All are helpful.

All the pics above fit what I have in mind. Something short, clean, and accurate. Just wanted 18" for a little more velocity and a little less muzzle blast.

Going to put an upper together for a lower I already use. A bushmaster with a giessele high speed national match (DMR I believe). Scope will be a 2.5x8 Leupold with B&C reticle. I'd also like to explore a c-more, trijicon, or some other brand sight. Coyote hunting will more than likely be this guns forte.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

Scott

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.