Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Half a pd high might be more accurate than 4 inches or 1 moa or .25 mil etc... due to the fact they vary in size...

But getting a scope with a reticule graduated in PD's is a b1tch though! grin

Last edited by Pete E; 01/17/14.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Suppose we have a circle, and two rays drawn outward from the center of the circle. If the arc length between the points where the rays intersect the circle is the same as the radius of the circle, then the angle between the rays is one radian.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep. A full-on MOA system would do the same thing, it's just that Miles are currently more available. It seems like we're seeing more and more MOA systems becoming available, which is great!

The big thing for me is not having to guess. No more "hold a half prairie dog high".

Half a pd high might be more accurate than 4 inches or 1 moa or .25 mil etc... due to the fact they vary in size...

Jeff

I would much rather use something the shooter and spotter can both see in the scope to judge holdoff, rather than an arbitrary system of measurement. My idea of what 12 inches vs. the shooters idea can be considerably different, especially on animals or targets that are unfamiliar in size.

It's easy to say "hold half a prairie dog high", because we are both looking at the prairie dog the shooter just missed. If it's the shooter's first time killing p-dogs, and I say "you hit 6 inches low", he really has no way to judge what 6 inches looks like at distance.

This is all much easier if everybody has a coinciding reticle. Then we're using a real measurement, not a guess.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 01/17/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there is nothing magic about one system over another, they are simply a unit of measure nothing more nothing less. sometimes I think people that use the mil system get and attitude that its somehow better and that MOA people are inexperienced and don't know what they are doing. I have read the threads and used the mil system as well. I still can't get the argument of why mils is better. YES its 1/10 and 1/1000th of a unit and yes I will admit its a superior unit breakdown, just like the metric system is a better unit of measurement. The problem is this doesn't correlate to anything we use in our daily life. The only thing 1 mil corelates to in our daily life is 1 of them means 1 yard at 1000 yards. The problem with this is it doesn't breakdown that well making small corrections, small corrections is what we need when making long shots.

keep in mind the guys at snipers hide are using their guns in a TOTALLY different manner in most cases than us long range hunters are. number one they are generally always at a range rather than in the field. You can evidence this by the massive IMO unportable rifles they use. a 15-20# gun is the norm. they also have range cards, a spotter and other things that are not very portable to use. They also tend to shoot and adjust, or some would call them sighter shots. a long range hunter is lucky to get more than one shot and if they do get more than one it aint the SAME shot they just took. I guess bad guys don't move either. They will also tell you they depend on the reticle to make the corrections in mils based on measurements inside the reticle. ok thats fine and all, but why couldn't this also be done in MOA with a MOA based reticle AND you also have the benefit of understanding just what the distance is converted roughly to inches. my whole point is why not use a system you can both do the math in your head with AND make corrections for. The snipers hide guys say oh quit trying to do math in your head just use the reticle. with MOA based reticles why not quit with the math and use the reticle AND if you need to correlate target size or other things in your head if needed.

until someone gets me a decent rational argument on why mils are better other than it breaks down in 1/10ths I see no reason to change my thinking, although I could if someone even made a halfway decent case for it. I like being able to look at a rock across a canyon pulling out my RF distance 750 yards. rock measures 2 MOA I know thats about a 15" rock, if I shoot 3" low I can just make a half minute correction, to me MOA has an advantage when the distances may not be known. the other thing is I think many long range shooters prefer the mil system because up until a few years ago mil based reticles were all you could get on a long range scope.

PS, yes I know 1 MOA isnt 1" and there is roughly a 5% difference. buts its close enough and the distances we are shooting at 5% correction error in a windage adjustment is less error than our rifle is capable of in the accuracy department.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I find Mils easier to use and I find that being a base10 system, it fits with the metric system "better".. The topo maps I use are metric and thinking in terms of 1/2Klick, 1Klick, 10Klick ect comes naturally..

I don't use the reticule for ranging so that's not an issue for me which ever system I use so really it comes down "familiarity"..

I think the one thing to avoid is a scope with mixed Units as is pretty common for some strange reason.

Go with MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil and just get out and shoot..

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quit thinking in inches if you want to use mils, a mil is just another unit of measure.

As far as optic recommendations it matters not, use what you are comfortable with, just make sure your turret matches your reticle which is nothing more than a measuring tool.
I would recommend FFP scope to avoid having to dial magnification to the correct setting to what the reticle subtends to.

When you speak of corrections in mils vs moa you are saying the same thing just a different unit of measure.

Last edited by mclevela; 01/17/14.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot MOA. Shoot quite a few coyotes from 400 to 600 yds. I have my clicks checked and written down every 20 yds. The wind is more difficult to adjust for but takes practice. I click for windage as well. Which ever system you use, you simply have to practice with it. With coyotes, you usually don't get a practice shot. Have to hit them the first time. No luxury of a spotter shot to see where you are hitting. Pick a system that maximizes first shot hits for you. I don't have a particularly fancy scope. Leupold vx II 6-18. Fine duplex. works really well, always returns to zero.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
there is nothing magic about one system over another, they are simply a unit of measure nothing more nothing less. sometimes I think people that use the mil system get and attitude that its somehow better and that MOA people are inexperienced and don't know what they are doing. I have read the threads and used the mil system as well. I still can't get the argument of why mils is better.

Mils aren't better, they're just universal. Americans are the only ones who use MOA for the most part. 10 times the amount of scopes and spotters are available in Mils rather than MOA. Life is easier in LR shooting when you stop fussing and get on board.

YES its 1/10 and 1/1000th of a unit and yes I will admit its a superior unit breakdown, just like the metric system is a better unit of measurement. The problem is this doesn't correlate to anything we use in our daily life. The only thing 1 mil corelates to in our daily life is 1 of them means 1 yard at 1000 yards. The problem with this is it doesn't breakdown that well making small corrections, small corrections is what we need when making long shots.

No, you need to make the correction that the reticle tells you. You don't argue when a the tape measure reads 12 inches, you just cut the board to 12 inches. And stop trying to put a linear measurement to it.

keep in mind the guys at snipers hide are using their guns in a TOTALLY different manner in most cases than us long range hunters are.

No they're not. Well, actually they are. They're hitting targets.

number one they are generally always at a range rather than in the field.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You can evidence this by the massive IMO unportable rifles they use. a 15-20# gun is the norm.

That's because if 7lb rifles could be competitive against purpose built LR systems, they would be using them. They aren't, so they don't. That's not to say that weight hasn't gotten a bit out of control, however.

they also have range cards, a spotter and other things that are not very portable to use.

So you "hunt" and shoot animals at 500/600/700/800/etc yards, without range cards and spotters?

They also tend to shoot and adjust, or some would call them sighter shots. a long range hunter is lucky to get more than one shot and if they do get more than one it aint the SAME shot they just took. I guess bad guys don't move either.

Again, you are clueless. Despite what BS is pushed EVERYONE misses shots. Even 10 yard shots. Whether or not one can correct and kill with the next is the difference. Spotting misses and correcting is important no matter the range and essential for long range.

They will also tell you they depend on the reticle to make the corrections in mils based on measurements inside the reticle. ok thats fine and all, but why couldn't this also be done in MOA with a MOA based reticle AND you also have the benefit of understanding just what the distance is converted roughly to inches.

It can be. Not a big deal as they both do the same thing. However, the mil radian system has become the standard in long range shooting. Again, life is easier when you just let go of the ego and refusal to learn, and get on board. And who cares what the distance is converted roughly to inches?

my whole point is why not use a system you can both do the math in your head with AND make corrections for.

For the same reason that I do not care how many centimeters are in 12 inches. If the board needs to be be 12 inches, you cut it to 12 inches, not try to imagine what size in "prairie dogs" it is.

The snipers hide guys say oh quit trying to do math in your head just use the reticle. with MOA based reticles why not quit with the math and use the reticle AND if you need to correlate target size or other things in your head if needed.

Because it is slower, is unnecessary information, and in general is mental masturbation. Quite trying to do math.

until someone gets me a decent rational argument on why mils are better other than it breaks down in 1/10ths I see no reason to change my thinking, although I could if someone even made a halfway decent case for it.

Mils are better because the people that shoot and kill at long range has made mils the system. That will not change.

I like being able to look at a rock across a canyon pulling out my RF distance 750 yards. rock measures 2 MOA I know thats about a 15" rock,

Why? What information does this give you that will increase you ability to hit that rock?

if I shoot 3" low I can just make a half minute correction,

Or you could stop trying to be a mental mathematician and just read it in the reticle, thereby actually hit the rock faster.

to me MOA has an advantage when the distances may not be known.

How?

the other thing is I think many long range shooters prefer the mil system because up until a few years ago mil based reticles were all you could get on a long range scope.

No they prefer it because the entire long range field shooting and sniping communities have made it the standard. While one should be able to transition seamlessly, fighting against mils is akin to stubbornly trying to use the metric system when everyone else is using imperial.

I meet, teach, hunt with and compete against people that believe what you do. They get destroyed. In LR field/sniper matches the people who hit the most, miss the least, hit faster, waste less time, and make the least mistakes win. There is a system to competently succeed at long range in the field. It is not what you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
there is nothing magic about one system over another, they are simply a unit of measure nothing more nothing less. sometimes I think people that use the mil system get and attitude that its somehow better and that MOA people are inexperienced and don't know what they are doing. I have read the threads and used the mil system as well. I still can't get the argument of why mils is better.

Mils aren't better, they're just universal. Americans are the only ones who use MOA for the most part. 10 times the amount of scopes and spotters are available in Mils rather than MOA. Life is easier in LR shooting when you stop fussing and get on board.

YES its 1/10 and 1/1000th of a unit and yes I will admit its a superior unit breakdown, just like the metric system is a better unit of measurement. The problem is this doesn't correlate to anything we use in our daily life. The only thing 1 mil corelates to in our daily life is 1 of them means 1 yard at 1000 yards. The problem with this is it doesn't breakdown that well making small corrections, small corrections is what we need when making long shots.

No, you need to make the correction that the reticle tells you. You don't argue when a the tape measure reads 12 inches, you just cut the board to 12 inches. And stop trying to put a linear measurement to it.I don't get to make a correction typically I am shooting at live animals and if I do its not the same shot.

keep in mind the guys at snipers hide are using their guns in a TOTALLY different manner in most cases than us long range hunters are.

No they're not. Well, actually they are. They're hitting targets.
ok so everyone is out in the field totting a 20# rifle?!?!? bull$hit

number one they are generally always at a range rather than in the field.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.I disagree

You can evidence this by the massive IMO unportable rifles they use. a 15-20# gun is the norm.

That's because if 7lb rifles could be competitive against purpose built LR systems, they would be using them. They aren't, so they don't. That's not to say that weight hasn't gotten a bit out of control, however.Where did I say anything about a 7# rifle?? I didn't but an 11# rifle will shoot just as well as any 34mm tubed accuracy international chassied mega magazine fed 20# pig, given the guns aren't a 338 lapua but rather a standard magnum or smaller.

they also have range cards, a spotter and other things that are not very portable to use.

So you "hunt" and shoot animals at 500/600/700/800/etc yards, without range cards and spotters?my range card is taped to my stock my spotter consists of my son looking through binoculars and say dead coyote or you missed. most of the time there is no dust kicking up where I hit, besides that can be very misleading if there is[b][/b]

They also tend to shoot and adjust, or some would call them sighter shots. a long range hunter is lucky to get more than one shot and if they do get more than one it aint the SAME shot they just took. I guess bad guys don't move either.

Again, you are clueless. Despite what BS is pushed EVERYONE misses shots. Even 10 yard shots. Whether or not one can correct and kill with the next is the difference. Spotting misses and correcting is important no matter the range and essential for long range.
keep shooting in your ninja sniper suit, bad guys don't give you a second shot, after all you are a sniper wanna be right?? you should place more value in the first shot connecting!!

They will also tell you they depend on the reticle to make the corrections in mils based on measurements inside the reticle. ok thats fine and all, but why couldn't this also be done in MOA with a MOA based reticle AND you also have the benefit of understanding just what the distance is converted roughly to inches.

It can be. Not a big deal as they both do the same thing. However, the mil radian system has become the standard in long range shooting. Again, life is easier when you just let go of the ego and refusal to learn, and get on board. And who cares what the distance is converted roughly to inches?yeah who cares if you can do math in your head, who cares if you actually can see the distance through the scope and not have to even bother measuring with the reticle. as to the standard of long range shooting, yeah your standard but mine is different.

my whole point is why not use a system you can both do the math in your head with AND make corrections for.

For the same reason that I do not care how many centimeters are in 12 inches. If the board needs to be be 12 inches, you cut it to 12 inches, not try to imagine what size in "prairie dogs" it is.

The snipers hide guys say oh quit trying to do math in your head just use the reticle. with MOA based reticles why not quit with the math and use the reticle AND if you need to correlate target size or other things in your head if needed.

Because it is slower, is unnecessary information, and in general is mental masturbation. Quite trying to do math.

until someone gets me a decent rational argument on why mils are better other than it breaks down in 1/10ths I see no reason to change my thinking, although I could if someone even made a halfway decent case for it.

Mils are better because the people that shoot and kill at long range has made mils the system. That will not change.seems you and others are more worried about second shot correction that killing any living thing like an animal or a person. just because the military uses something doesn't mean its better

I like being able to look at a rock across a canyon pulling out my RF distance 750 yards. rock measures 2 MOA I know thats about a 15" rock,

Why? What information does this give you that will increase you ability to hit that rock?like the size of the freaking group!!! and like how that correlates to the size of the rock thats is softer than your head. so why care about the size of the target that doesn't matter, you gotta be kidding me

if I shoot 3" low I can just make a half minute correction,

Or you could stop trying to be a mental mathematician and just read it in the reticle, thereby actually hit the rock faster.

to me MOA has an advantage when the distances may not be known.

How?

the other thing is I think many long range shooters prefer the mil system because up until a few years ago mil based reticles were all you could get on a long range scope.

No they prefer it because the entire long range field shooting and sniping communities have made it the standard. While one should be able to transition seamlessly, fighting against mils is akin to stubbornly trying to use the metric system when everyone else is using imperial.

I meet, teach, hunt with and compete against people that believe what you do. They get destroyed. In LR field/sniper matches the people who hit the most, miss the least, hit faster, waste less time, and make the least mistakes win. There is a system to competently succeed at long range in the field. It is not what you want.
ok so then why are you so worried about it if your system of measurement is so awesome. so its because they are using the superior mil system that they are winning?? is that what you are saying. instead of belittling everyone you disagree with, why not come up with an original thought and say the system is better and this is why?? you want to attack me and tell me how little I know. I simply stated tactical matches are different than long range hunting, I stated why the MOA system is better for me. you still never said WHY its better other than its part of the metric system, which it really isn't. MOA based reticles are for the most part brand new as in 2-3 yrs old I am sure there were some others before that but they weren't that wide spread. before that you were forced into the mil system. since you claim mil is so awesome why are we seeing MOA reticles more and more these days?? in all seriousness why can't you just disagree and say ok your background is different and your main use is different and maybe one use is better than another depending on the use.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/17/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use both to shoot, but I can only range in MOA for some absurd reason. I have to do some conversions in my head to range in yards and I am not a very smart person.

I am trying to make the conversion to MILs fully and learn to range in Mils. I am having a little difficulty because of how ingrained MOA is in my head. It is almost like trying to do stuff with your non dominant hand.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
ok so then why are you so worried about it if your system of measurement is so awesome. so its because they are using the superior mil system that they are winning?? is that what you are saying. instead of belittling everyone you disagree with, why not come up with an original thought and say the system is better and this is why?? you want to attack me and tell me how little I know. I simply stated tactical matches are different than long range hunting, I stated why the MOA system is better for me. you still never said WHY its better other than its part of the metric system, which it really isn't. MOA based reticles are for the most part brand new as in 2-3 yrs old I am sure there were some others before that but they weren't that wide spread. before that you were forced into the mil system. since you claim mil is so awesome why are we seeing MOA reticles more and more these days?? in all seriousness why can't you just disagree and say ok your background is different and your main use is different and maybe one use is better than another depending on the use.

Because your arguments are like a child stomping its feet in anger. I have read your responses in other posts about shooting and it is quite clear that you do not have very much experience in long range shooting. This is not said in malice. It's just a reality. You are so consumed that you throwing shots at coyotes with your son looking through binoculars, is the pinnacle of distance shooting, that you bury your head in the ground when it comes to people, rifles, scopes, and systems that the best field shooters in the world use. Your "wanna be" sniper comments are the best. Please keep swallowing your feet without even knowing it.

I have stated multiple times that neither MOA or Mils are better. Just that one has become standard community wide. Using a Mil based system will not make your shooting ability suffer. However, your refusal to learn from a community that makes their entire living hitting targets at long range as fast as possible and as accurately as possible, most certainly will.

From the moment that the decision to shoot has been made the physical and mental acts to hit the target are the same regardless of whether the target is a piece of steel, coyote, or human. The gun doesn't know the difference, the scope doesn't know the difference, the bullet doesn't know the difference and the environment doesn't know the difference. The only difference is the emotion that we project into the shot.

I am in the unique vocation to have to learn quite a bit of different skills. I do not go to cross country skiers and blast them with all that I "know" and how they are doing it wrong and that act of skiing is different if my goal is to kill something at the end, rather than just skiing. I go to the best cross country skiiers and shut the [bleep] up and learn. Once I learn "how" to cross country ski, THEN I ask why.

I have told you before to attend a long range field match like the Steel Safari (it's close to you) and in one day you would understand that what you think you "know", just might be flawed. By your posts you have not learned how to shoot long range using the methods that have proven over the last couple decades to be the most efficient and capable way, and yet you believe that your way is better? By how you say that you shoot, your hit rates and success could go up immensely in a day with someone that knows what they're doing.

Unfortunately, males all believe that by the mere presence of a penis, that they are as good at shooting as they are at driving, fighting, drinking, smoking, and romancing the panties off of hotties. And they're generally correct.......... They suck equally at all of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mathman here is a good wonk video of the math.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here ya go formy...

[Linked Image]

Take two and call me in the morning.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Still see much reference to spotters with MILS in them or spotting hits/splash and re measuring.

This isn't really apllicable to a Hunting scenario-regardless of units or reticles.

I'll continue to read, research and listen.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Still see much reference to spotters with MILS in them or spotting hits/splash and re measuring.

This isn't really apllicable to a Hunting scenario-regardless of units or reticles.

Sure it is. Coupling a mil reticle with mil turrets (and a mil reticle equipped spotter, if you've got one) allows for quicker adjustments on misses or hits off center, and for me I'm noticed that I center punch targets more easily while practicing when using a Mil/Mil setup.

I guess what I'm saying is- better practice=better performance. I can see myself switching to all Mils in the next few years. It really is incredibly easy to use.

Tanner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They are both units of the same measurement , but I like mil/mil for pretty much what Tanner said above and its easier for me to remember 7mils as opposed to 25 minutes for some reason.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Tanner

Sure it is. Coupling a mil reticle with mil turrets (and a mil reticle equipped spotter, if you've got one) allows for quicker adjustments on misses or hits off center, and for me I'm noticed that I center punch targets more easily while practicing when using a Mil/Mil setup.

I guess what I'm saying is- better practice=better performance. I can see myself switching to all Mils in the next few years. It really is incredibly easy to use.

Tanner

There is truth in both positions. I've hunted for over 35 years, have dabbled in a few informal F Class matches in recent years and participated in one certified long range shooting class last summer at Gunsite. That's a few very broad brush strokes of my experience, which clearly represent the bias of my skill set. As a big game hunter the goal is to deliver a lethal shot at the first pull of the trigger with a very high level of certainty. The ole "one shot, one kill" idea. Which is what I thought military snipers adhered to as well. That is until I visited Gunsite.

Now I'd guess the military community still strives to achieve the "one shot, one kill" ideal, but the mission taught at Gunsite is actually "one hit, two shots, quickly". They didn't come right out and say it, but that's what's taught. And the instructors at Gunsite are very, very, very clear these long range methods are not appropriate for hunting big game. To paraphrase the instructor's orientation lecture, "All these long range hunting TV shows are lying to you." The wording may not be exactly right, but the message was clear to everyone in the class.

To summarize what they taught: the spotter finds, ranges the target, and estimates the wind through the spotting scope. The spotting scope has a mil ranging reticle. No laser range finders are allowed. The spotter calculates the solution: elevation dial settings and windage hold-offs and communicates these to the shooter. The shooter pulls the trigger and the spotter watches the shot. If the shooter misses, the spotter tells the shooter the POA corrections, the shooter then makes POA corrections in the scope, not the dials, and shoots again. This should all take less than about 10 seconds start to finish. Note: this is where having the spotting scope and the rifle scope marked in the same units (mil's or moa's) is extremely helpful. A hit anywhere, not just in the vitals, on the second shot is considered "success". Of course, the sizes of all targets is known. Obviously, to do this well takes lots of practice.

I found ranging in the spotting scope a challenge but by the end of the class I was getting pretty good at it. Not so reading the wind. It was pretty calm while I was there, yet I was never confident, nor accurate in my wind calls. Reading the wind to an acceptable level of accuracy for successful long range shooting takes serious practice.

The whole point to all of this is: the goals of a big game hunter and a long range shooter are different. The goal/mission/ethic of the big game hunter is "one shot, one kill" at any range and it's up the hunter to know what his/her effective range is. If long range shooting skills/technologies (i.e., mils, etal.) can be used/exploited by the big game hunter while keeping the integrity of his/her mission, then all is good. It's up to each hunter to decide and execute. Though I suspect many in the field these days are "overdriving their headlights".

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I am saving for a nice scope to help me extend my range. Trying to graduate from charts and CDS Leupolds to the next step.

Hate to ask the "question" which is asked 3X per week of What Scope. I am torn.

Think I could pony up $1000 which is a popular budget limit for Working Guys. Made the mistake of reading Sniper's Hide for a few weeks. How all these guys are saying "I'm in for 2" on new Nightforce scopes at $2400 each is beyond me.

I've read ScenarShooters reviews of the upcoming Bushnell LRHS scope in 3-12. Seems the scope was pretty much tailored to his specs along w George. There has to be a reason I'm sure. Seen enough pics and targets to know he isn't a poseur. Think many others have asked why he does MILS and meters. Not sure his answer.

I've been doing MOA for a while. I think I get it. Have not had too many hang ups. Very hard for me to consider anything MILS. Spoke to a friend who is a combat vet w confirmed kills behind a bolt gun. We did math, examples, diagrams etc. Still confusing.

Seems all Snipers Hide guys make it simple. Shoot. See splash. Measure from POA to POI, adjust same and send 2nd. That's great if you are splashing on steel. Or Hadj doesn't move and you can see bullet impact.

But if I'm spotting for a bud. He whiffs on an 'lope at 628. I guess he misread the wind by a 12" miss. I can tell him in 5 seconds of math "Hold 2 minutes left"

Am I missing an easy Short Cut with MILS? If I am truing my zero or checking data at 300 yards(or meters) and I'm off 5" what do you adjust(you can't see bullet holes thru scope to measure in MILS in this example)

I'd guess even the cheapest of software or aps offer come ups in both MOA and MILS. Not too much headache there. Just way wierd to me. Lots of scopes offered with MILS of some sort. MOA seems more limited in offerings.

MOA or mil's makes no difference all you need to know is how many do you need.

I use mil's, I have used both but have become very fond of mil's

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

A couple of things....

Right off the bat, if you are hunting or trying to hunt at long range without someone on a spotter..... you are wrong. Everyone misses. At every range. Long range shooting is a two person event. That is where the spotter and shooter having the same unit of measure in each optic comes in.

Originally Posted by LJB

A hit anywhere, not just in the vitals, on the second shot is considered "success".

Gunsite isn't exactly the pinnacle of training anymore. I've been a sniper for over a decade and at no time in any course has "any hit is a good hit" or "a wound is better than a kill" BS been taught.

As well, trying to range using a reticle is an exercise in futility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As well, trying to range using a reticle is an exercise in futility.

Not really. At just about every Precision Rifle Match we hold there is at minimum 1 stage that requires it with multiple targets and paper work or actually ranging and engaging a target with your rifle

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.