-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have had a long unrequited love for the Martini actioned rifles after having a Cadet in 22 Hornet for much too short a time in about 1981 until it was enticed away by a little cash.

I had seen a ME on the local auction site that was not running high bids and followed it with interest until I put in a bid of jut NZ$175 that secured it for me.
This was the description and one of the accompanying pics

This is a martini action .303 rifle. Crown VR Enfield 1879.
Crown 111 1. All this on one side and on the other
Crown VR Enfield 1896 Crown ME .303. 1.
This is NZ marked no.64 also NZ with an arrow above the NZ and then 98
Sold out of service markings 093 on Stock
No butt plate. Lever is marked Arrow WD ? E30
A .303 bullet will not fit right up into the receiver.
It has a beautifully clean shiny bore.

[Linked Image]

When it arrived I did find there was more to (or less than indicated) this carbine than anticipated but I did have a worthwhile project to work on with no historical or originality to alter.

First of was the barrel and rather than being a 303 was a 30-30 so it was slated for changing right off the bat. I have a friend who has a large collection of LE and ME rifles (along with many others of course) and has accumulated parts as he has found them over the years so he traded me a new No 4 barrel for some future stocking work for him. Gunsmith cut and crowned the barrel for carbine length and reinstalled the sights. He skimmed the front of the action to re-square it to boreline centre and set the headspace at .02, and centered the firing pin strike.

I found the butt stock had been shortened by over a 1/2 inch and with the forestock being cut down, so a restock was in order.
I got a reasonably plain, darker grained blank from NZ Walnut to work with.

I was able to locate a butt plate locally but the screws and a latch cup were sourced in England.

So a reasonably plain blank as befitted the original Martini's came from NZ Walnut Supplies
[Linked Image]

I sanded off the bolt rifle pattern and remarked it for an advantageous grain layout for the Martini
[Linked Image]

and cut the blank into the appropriate pieces.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My inspiration was the Artillery Carbine as issued to some of the NZ troops (initially)in the second Boer War.

[Linked Image]

More can be found on the issue here

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/martini/

Drilling the stock bolt hole is a time for many measurements to set things up but sooner or later the drilling must be done

[Linked Image]

This is what you really (really ) want to see

[Linked Image]

For drilling the hole I bought a length of 12mm mild steel and had a 10mm shank turned on one end with half of the dia milled off the other end, on which I ground the cutting tip. A starter hole is drilled just further than the length of the milled flat so the full dia of the rod is engaged and then if everything is set up right, the drill will emerge where it should do.

[Linked Image]

To do the counter bore for the stock bolt head I had a length of 20mm rod drilled to except the 10mm shank of the primary bit which self guides back down the hole to the marked depth

[Linked Image]

The end of the 20mm rod has a couple of cutter edges made and a simple hacksaw, angle grinder and files do this easily.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So after drilling the stock bolt hole the socket can be fitted and the barrel channel inletted

[Linked Image]

I was held up at this stage trying too source a nosecap so I finished the buttstock and looked at the sighting arrangement. I find open sights a little more than my eyes can effectively use now but have aperture sights on another couple of rifles and really like them so decided to make something along the lines of the Lyman mod 21 as I could not afford the likes of the Mues or Parkerhale etc.

A light piece of alloy for pattern work

[Linked Image]

A piece of box steel and a worn out round burr as a base for the sight

[Linked Image]

With a little bit of drilling and filing I ended up with this. I replaced the action pins with simple 2 in bolts and made the heads into small raised roundheads. The tab washer to indicate elevation was made from a hinge flap.(It was the right thickness and it was handy)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have 3/4 inch elevation adjustment that according to my sighting radius and the intended velocity of my cast bullets should get a 1000yd point of aim/point of impact. Isn't theory great??

Von Gruff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I borrowed a NOE 316299 mould and cast up about 2500 bullets while waiting for the nosecap to arrive

[Linked Image]

I would need something appropriate to carry my ammo but didn't have enough leather to do the full bandoleer so decided a 10 round belt punch would be enough

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

About this time a nosecap arrived in the mail, so a bit more could be done

[Linked Image]

Then some shaping and sanding and a bit of oil and it was starting to look finished

[Linked Image]

I made a stock disc and set it into the buttstock

[Linked Image]

I have developed a trio of loads for the 212gn cast bullet with a 13gn Red Dot plinking load at 1400fps, 17.3gn Blue Dot for 1680fps for general play and a hunting load of 34gn Varget/ADI 2208 for 1860fps, with accuracy being all I could ask for.

I have a set of swivels on the way and will pick up a length of leather to make replica sling. There is a hold up with acids so I can do rust blue on the aperture sight and the nosecap but that will happen sometime soon I expect.

So this is not - has not been a restoration but has made a representative working carbine from an action that had a wrong barrel and a much altered stock. It may not get the purists (and the genuine gunmakers) going but as an amateur hobbyist, I really like the way this has turned out.
It will definitely be taken on an excursion into the hills after a goat or two.

Von Gruff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice project and I really like the end result! Thanks for posting.

P.S. Do you have really long winters in New Zealand?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
VonGruff,

A very interesting project! I had the opportunity to buy a commercial sporter in .303 a couple of years ago, and I passed on it because the bore was badly pitted.

I deeply regret selling the one Martini that I owned many years ago... It was chambered in .30-40 Krag. and had a Springfield 2-groove barrel installed. At the time I was hot after a Ruger #3 and sold the Martini when I purchased the #3. Funny thing was, I was severely turned off on the Martini when I found out it had a 2-groove bbl. A classic example of being "too soon old and too late smart!"

I finally ended up with a Ruger #1 in .303...

You have a rifle to be proud of! smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great write up, beautiful gun. Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few years back I purchased a very nice artillery carbine chambered in .303. It was a great shooter. A gent with more money than me offered me too much to resist for it and now it is his. I rather regret the selling of it but thoroughly enjoyed the owning and shooting it,

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice gun, and great write up, Von Gruff.

If you ever want to make another one of those belt pouches...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nice gun, and great write up, Von Gruff.

I'll second that! Great post!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I only had enough leather to do the small belt pouch but this was what I really wanted to do even if I may never have a need of that much ammo at one time except at play. All by hand with an awl and a needle but it would pass the time in the winter. And no we don't have winters like has been reported in the US the last few weeks. Rarely gets below 10 degrees of frost celcius here. (14 fahrenheit)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm... I have a pile of 6 ounce or so leather. I wonder about the efficacy of shipping back and forth to New Zealand. (I would really like one of those belt pouches that would hold five or six rounds of .30/40 Krag!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I often get small parcels from Brownells / Sinclairs and depending on size, can be as little as US$11. Enough leather to make a carrier and return postage shouldn't run any more than that each way.

Von Gruff.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
People like you....people who have skills and patience...

You drive me crazy.

I really like your rifle though, and I love the 303 cartridge.

Congratulations on your end result and many thanks for taking the time to post.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is impossible to not like the project and the result. I very much like the sight. GD

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great work. What's your full time job?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasChase
Great work. What's your full time job?

Full time retired now but working life was in the building industry.

Von Gruff.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Just saw this.

That's my kind of rifle.

Great work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,453
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.