Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Go Barnes no surprises..

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! That was a joke, right? grin Sounds more like Speer is borrowing a page from Barnes perhaps! (Not only at least one surprise in every box, often a surprise awaits with each new lot.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 01/16/14.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Speer and Innovation are two words that seldom collide in the same sentence.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Things were better before ATK took them over they must be making too much money with all their military contracts to care about the rest of us. Too bad about what is happening with a once great company, there were my go to bullet company for a long time.

Gerry.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never met a die hard fan of Speer bullets.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only one I really liked was a handgun bullet; the old 225 gr. 44 caliber half-jacketed HP. I shot a lot of them in 44 mag before I started casting my own. Really accurate bullet.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The old Speer 275-grain .338 bullet was one of the most accurate .338 bullets I ever used. Every .338 I ever owned shot that bullet very well. It was one of Elmer Keith's favorites.

But of course, they quit making it.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistic Tip,Accubonds....Partitions. ..whats not to love about Nosler? Always been my go to.

Speer does seem to have some craziness going on...kinda agree with ya on that richard.

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used to shoot a whole lot of Speer bullets. Lots of HP-TNTs and large caliber hollow point offerings for varmints. Speer Hot-Cors, BTSPs, and Grand Slams for game. Never had a problem, and they always shot well for me.

The old "Sierras for target shooting, Speers for hunting" saying worked well, and still does.

This is going to sound like blasphemy to some, but I had better luck getting Speer bullets to shoot than Hornadys, and saw a few Hornady Interlocks do some funky things, so I mostly stuck with Speer.

The past five or eight years I've been using a bunch of other stuff, simply to try other stuff out. I really can't say anything has worked better than Speer.

I would be perfectly happy going through life hunting with nothing but Speer, as long as they get their crap together as far as offerings and availability.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Things were better before ATK took them over they must be making too much money with all their military contracts to care about the rest of us. Too bad about what is happening with a once great company, there were my go to bullet company for a long time.

Speer bullets were never a go to for me. I liked the 275 gr. .338 bullet and the 115 gr 7mm , but otherwise they were not my favorites. On the one hand my ATK stocks have doubled in the last year, on the other I do wish they would be more in tune to the sportsman , other then buying up other companies and trimming them down to make profits.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Speer .338 275gr. bullet, 3 shot cloverleaf groups from my pre '64 Winchester M/70 were frequent and it killed like Thor's hammer.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
prairie goat I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on the Fire that has poor luck with Hornady bullets.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When Vernon Speer sold out the company started downhill. Before that the best shooting bullet in my 7mm mag was the Speer 160gr Hot Core. But for over 40yrs now my go to has been Hornady. Have never had one fail. I certain some have though. some of everything fails at one time or another!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I used to shoot a whole lot of Speer bullets. Lots of HP-TNTs and large caliber hollow point offerings for varmints. Speer Hot-Cors, BTSPs, and Grand Slams for game. Never had a problem, and they always shot well for me.

The old "Sierras for target shooting, Speers for hunting" saying worked well, and still does.

This is going to sound like blasphemy to some, but I had better luck getting Speer bullets to shoot than Hornadys, and saw a few Hornady Interlocks do some funky things, so I mostly stuck with Speer.

The past five or eight years I've been using a bunch of other stuff, simply to try other stuff out. I really can't say anything has worked better than Speer.

I would be perfectly happy going through life hunting with nothing but Speer, as long as they get their crap together as far as offerings and availability.

Spot on Billy.

A few of my really accurate rifles shoot Hornady's well, but every really accurate rifle I've owned shot Speer bullets extremely well.

The only Deep Curl I tried was the 90gr 6mm. It is an impressive performer, both on game and paper. I have 700+ left...

I do hate to hear that they're dropping the Deep Curl line. I was actually hoping they'd increase the offerings. I like options and I too try different things in the bullet department.

Nosler is getting more and more of my business as of late. I think they make an exceptional bullet and take a back seat to nobody.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

This is going to sound like blasphemy to some, but I had better luck getting Speer bullets to shoot than Hornadys,

I'm telling the moderator you said this.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the only bullet I really care about is their 35 caliber flat points. I've generally had a much easier time getting Nosler, Barnes, Sierra and Hornady to shoot well for me than Speers. Ironically a few years ago I think it was John Haviland in either Handloader or Precision Shooter mentioned Speer had some issues with jacket concentricity for a while.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive always had god luck with speer bullets,but haven't seen any locally for quite some time.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Speer bullets that I had work very well:

100g Speer BTsP out of a 25/06, max load of R#19. I could shoot humming birds at 300 yards with this bullet and load.

7/08: 130g SpBT, 42g of IMR 4895, Rem case, rem 9 1/2, mashem flat mag on white tails. Converted a lot of folks with this load. This load is extremely accurate out of 700's.

30/06: 165g Speer BTSP, 58g of IMR 4350

To me, Speer bullets represent a bullet that will give Massive Internal Damage on a deer. I stay off the shoulder for this reason.

If you want to shoot'em from any angle, then go to a Barnes triple shock...don't even screw around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it official that Speer has dropped the Deep Curl? All of them, or just some of them? Do they (Speer) even know it yet? (they are all still listed on their website) I will try to give them a call tomorrow. I have a couple of boxes of Deep Curls in 270 150 gr, and a box of 90 gr .243's. I haven't had a chance to work with them yet, but my son likes the 90 gr Deep Shoks I scored a while back. Still have a couple of boxes of those left. Hopefully we can shoot something soon to see how they work on critters.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would love to find a box or two of the 25 cal 100gr Hot Cors. My 250 savage really likes that bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speer will re-introduce the Deep Curl under a different name for double the price.

Ha ha. A joke you think?

Watch.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 673, 1minute, 29aholic, 805, 16 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,935
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.