Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
John,

I shot lots of small game and varmints with that 06 back in the day. I used a lot of 165 gr Speer boat tails and 165 Sierra spbt bullet and then the Nosler ballistic tip when it came out.

I never saw anything come apart quite like that grouse. I suspect I hit it directly on the point of the breast bone.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
You want no surprises?
Hornady.

Apparently you didn't see the threads regarding a change in InterLock location.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never been disappointed by the performance of a Nosler partition.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'm mostly a Hornady and Nosler guy but have used Speer bullets in .270, .308 and .429 caliber. I no longer use the .270 caliber bullets, the .308s are 165 gr. DC I bought from a member here. They shoot well in my T3 .308 and I will use them until they're gone.

I started using the .429 270gr. GDSP in my .444 Marlin rifles and muzzleloaders. I've been satisfied with their accuracy and on game performance. They changed that to the 270gr. DC. Money, availability, and price all met together so I bought a thousand of them. My stock should last quite a long time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The result was that instead of hitting the ground running, the "new" bullets had a hard time getting a foothold in the market. Eventually the word got out that they were basically the same thing as Fusions, but apparently it was too late. Plus there was the whole "we're going to drop the Hot-Cors and substitute the DeepCurls" thing, which never really came off.

So what's the scoop then? Instead of replacing the Hot-Cors with the DeepCurls like it was previously said, they are completely dropping the DeepCurls and keeping the Hot-Cors???

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCSteve

The result was that instead of hitting the ground running, the "new" bullets had a hard time getting a foothold in the market. Eventually the word got out that they were basically the same thing as Fusions, but apparently it was too late. Plus there was the whole "we're going to drop the Hot-Cors and substitute the DeepCurls" thing, which never really came off.

So what's the scoop then? Instead of replacing the Hot-Cors with the DeepCurls like it was previously said, they are completely dropping the DeepCurls and keeping the Hot-Cors???

No no no. The Deep Curl will come back as the "Fusion Core" or "Deep Fusion" and will cost double the price.

I can't see "Hot Curl" getting a run as the new name, though the hairdressers would go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That said, the boattail Speers are NOT Hot-Cors. They're swaged, with pretty soft lead cores, so typical don't penetrate like Hot-Cors.

I think you are right about them being relatively soft cup/cores. They've worked well this season in my 7mm-08 carbine (145's likely making high 2,600's). Internal damage is usually pretty severe, considering the speed. Your notes from a few years ago about the 160 Sierra Gameking in your 7x57 were in the back of my mind when I decided to try out a plain-jane bullet for deer-sized stuff with this rifle.

Got another decent sow just last night and the bullet did a fine job on a lung shot. My father and brother were with me, pushing through the briars, and both said it was one of the best blood trails they'd ever seen. I bought a few boxes of the Speer 145's and a few boxes of 150gr Partitions, but the Speer seems to be doing a fine job so far, plus it is cheap enough to practice with a lot.

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice piggy JPro!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She'll eat!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What happened to the XFB 35 caliber 225 grain?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
What happened to the XFB 35 caliber 225 grain?

They worked? So they were discontinued!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoshK
Ballistic Tip,Accubonds....Partitions. ..whats not to love about Nosler? Always been my go to.

Speer does seem to have some craziness going on...kinda agree with ya on that richard.

Josh

And they dropped the wonderful solid base line not long after saying "we have no plans to discontinue producing solid base bullets."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ringworm
You want no surprises?
Hornady.

Apparently you didn't see the threads regarding a change in InterLock location.

And apparently you haven't noticed that Hornady has put a large number of their bullets on production hold. In my area, you can find lots of Hornady bullets, as long as you want SSTs. Interlocks are MIA.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My J (Jibe) meter is pegged! smile

Derisive laughter heard all around! grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Crazy times in the rifle/ammo industry. Just hope this isn't the "new normal".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've recently had some tentative gun purchase ideas that I abandoned, simply because ammo and components aren't available locally or online. Am pretty much holding tight if it isn't something I have brass/bullets/powder for. That sucks.

We had to scour all of the northern Louisiana last week to find a box of 35Rem ammo for my brother's new single-shot to use for primitive weapons season. Must have called 10 stores that normally stock it, before finding an out of the way place that had some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro

That said, the boattail Speers are NOT Hot-Cors. They're swaged, with pretty soft lead cores, so typical don't penetrate like Hot-Cors.

I think you are right about them being relatively soft cup/cores. They've worked well this season in my 7mm-08 carbine (145's likely making high 2,600's). Internal damage is usually pretty severe, considering the speed. Your notes from a few years ago about the 160 Sierra Gameking in your 7x57 were in the back of my mind when I decided to try out a plain-jane bullet for deer-sized stuff with this rifle.

Got another decent sow just last night and the bullet did a fine job on a lung shot. My father and brother were with me, pushing through the briars, and both said it was one of the best blood trails they'd ever seen. I bought a few boxes of the Speer 145's and a few boxes of 150gr Partitions, but the Speer seems to be doing a fine job so far, plus it is cheap enough to practice with a lot.

[Linked Image]

JPro, Like the way the grill is next to the oinker!!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I noticed that too! Straps might be bound for the grill, but the rest is probably going on my big smoker next weekend.

That picture was taken under the skinning shed at our camp. The little yellow box at the top of the photo is the electric hoist control, which makes things quick and easy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know that having a huge parent company will necessarily save Speer if they don't pull their socks up.

If people stop buying Speers, they will disappear, ATK notwithstanding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless the larger share of their profits come from factory loadings...

Remington doesn't seem to play around much in the component market, but they seem to be doing just fine in factory ammo sales.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,573
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.