Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Only drunks object to check points
Only dopers object to blood tests
The next logical argument is , "Only criminals/killers are against gun control.
We better all wake up and do some serious thinking on just how "safe" we want to perceive us to be, cause we aren't just sliding down a slippery slope anymore. We're down hill skiing, and we beat 99mph in 2008.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We do fake drug checkpoints on I10 every once in a while. They're great fun.

Years ago, I was headed back to school in Athens GA. I stopped and grabbed a 6'er when I gassed up and put it in the back seat.

I got within a mile or two of my exit on 316 and figured, WTH, I'm almost there and reached back and cracked one open.

As I took a long pull of the cold beer, I see a sign up ahead advertising drug searches, K9 dogs, and other things I wanted no part of.

No sooner than passing the sign is a nice big turn off on a dirt road that looks good so I turn on the blinker and plan on dumping the rest of my beer and hiding the bottle.

Bout the time I made the turn I crested a little knoll and low and behold, there sat half the Clark County/Athens police complete with tow rigs and paddy wagon.

It was a setup. The only search was down the side road that was so convienently available right past the big ol sign advertising the phantom K9 search.

I fessed up to officer fatazz, who promptly threw the empty I handed him in the woods, and then he wrote me a ticket for open container and I was on my way.

Turned out a hippy band was having a big concert that week in town and they nailed the chit out of a bunch of kids with a pocket full of joints.

I had to laugh. It was pretty clever.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Nope, not a shred of sympathy for drunk drivers here... mad

Do you honestly believe anybody on here is defending drunk drivers?

Travis

No Travis, I don't.

Living in California I can truly understand why so many despise governmental intrusion and legislative strangulation and fully respect that.

Most of these checkpoints are basically fishing expeditions, where the officers are searching for any possible infraction of the law and I can understand a person's disdain for such.

I do however tend to agree that unlike our constitutionally protected rights that driving is indeed a privilege, revocable through displays of recklessness and stupidity.

I'm only relaying my life experiences while on the topic of DUI.
I only hope you and others here at the fire never experience a life changing event that might alter your opinions.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's exactly what we do. Lots of signs cautioning to watch for K-9's, and lights that can be seen miles ahead. There is a convenient exit and a road to nowhere available. The only difference, I suppose, is that we always get kilos of cocaine and bales of weed.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I think it could be argued that Wi is more free than a lot of states.

Just not argued very well.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I do however tend to agree thtunlike our constitutionally protected rights that driving is indeed a privilege, revocable through displays of recklessness and stupidity.

I'm only relaying my life experiences while on the topic of DUI.
I only hope you and others here at the fire never experience a life changing event that might alter your opinions.

You assume my family didn't have any such experience.

And while driving is a privilege, a citizen's expectation of privacy and to not be stopped without cause is no freakin' privilege.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
Years ago here in Oregon there were all kinds of check stations. Openings of game and fish seasons, DUI, etc. Due to some court case they have all been eliminated.

Same thing in MN. They used to have them. DUI, and checks on the highway during deer season. They've all been eliminated now, except.... if you're towing a boat. They can pull your ass over to a check point and look for seaweed on your friggin trailer. GMAFB.

Last edited by tzone; 01/17/14.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by hotsoup
my wife was killed by a reckless driver, so if checks will keep drunks/dopers off the road i am all for them.

My niece was in a coma for a month because of a stupid khhunt that didn't know what a red light meant.

Yet I still oppose the stopping of American citizens just so they can be questioned as to whether or not they know what the [bleep] a red light means.

Travis

1/2 of my nieces and nephew's were killed by an ass clown UPS worker that had trouble reading the same type of lights. Yet I agree with you on the checkpoints.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie

"Roll your window down, or we can break it......", wow.
For a guy who has done nothing wrong, no probable cause to be pulled over, just happened to drive through a checkpoint.
Seven cops around the truck. This vid is incredibly heavy-handed for a dui checkpoint, wouldn't you say?
Hello tyranny, looks like you're here to stay.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 01/17/14.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
They do them here in Va. Beach. They are usually done about 10 pm so they can show off on the 11 pm news. Seems to me if you wanted to catch drunk drivers, hang around the bars at closing time. A lawyer friend of mine thinks they ought check out the noontime watering holes also. A lot of people having a three martini lunch.

Last edited by vabeachman; 01/17/14.
IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by buckcp
Only drunks object to check points
Only dopers object to blood tests
The next logical argument is , "Only criminals/killers are against gun control.
We better all wake up and do some serious thinking on just how "safe" we want to perceive us to be, cause we aren't just sliding down a slippery slope anymore. We're down hill skiing, and we beat 99mph in 2008.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Game & Fish checkpoints are popular in even what most Americans would consider the most "Free" states.
On my last trip to Wyoming I was delayed at length by officers who wanted to "see my papers" though I passed through unabated, it is certainly unpleasant to a certain degree.
Was watching the tv show "Wardens" last week where they were shaking down Montanans at a similar checkpoint, their roadside investigations go far beyond hunting and fishing violations.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are paid for through federal grants, those areas that don't have them don't get the funds! Helps with securing more officers, and higher pay through overtime hours. How much they help is anybody's guess. They remove unlicensed drivers and those driving without insurance, impounding cars and arresting the dirvers results in work and fees for everybody involved. Seems like they have them every couple weeks around here, the majority being on the main routes within a mile of the on and off ramps to the freeways.

Phil

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
On several of these DUI checkpoint refusal vids posted by people who have had nothing to drink, the cops use the excuse of "smelling alcohol" to thumb down even harder.

This one starts at 2:30. The officer "smells something" after the guy won't roll down his window all the way.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If we are really concerned about drunk driving, we need to start treating it the way the Nordic countries do. If they catch you driving drunk, you go to jail. Right now. Not next week, not next year but right now. Minimum term is for a year. They take whatever you are driving and there are substantial fines. NO EXCEPTIONS> That means attorneys can not charge thousands of dollars to get the DUI reduced to reckless driving or some other BS. How many times have you heard the report of a drunk killing someone and they have 2 - 3 - 4 or more previous DUI's? We do not care about people driving drunk, only the money that can be made off it by the police departments, cities, states and attorneys.

In the Nordic countries they get one or two drunk driving cases PER YEAR. If you really punish it, people will stop!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Game & Fish checkpoints are popular in even what most Americans would consider the most "Free" states.
On my last trip to Wyoming I was delayed at length by officers who wanted to "see my papers" though I passed through unabated, it is certainly unpleasant to a certain degree.
Was watching the tv show "Wardens" last week where they were shaking down Montanans at a similar checkpoint, their roadside investigations go far beyond hunting and fishing violations.

I oppose those too.

Big time.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Wyoming is no more immune from stupidity then anywhere else. That's why we need to examine what we really want. Adopting another mans ideals just because they sound plausible and good has deprived us of too much. I personally want to ban ice cream, as statistics prove when ice cream sales rise, so do rapes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I live in Cheeseheadland where we can still travel from place to place without the gestapo stopping you and asking for your paperz....

Your state have random DUI checkpoints? Whaddya think?

Have them all year round, but they double up xmas & new year's eve

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think they're legal to have them here in Missouri, but in the only checkpoints I've encountered they ask to see your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance, check your headlights, taillights, turn signals, and will fuss at you if you don't have your seatbelt on. They've never asked a thing about whether or not I've been drinking, but I guess in the process of doing all those checks they can get a pretty good idea if you're impaired or not.

I had been up here for a couple of years before I got stopped the first time, and I didn't know what "registration" was, since we didn't have to have it in Alabama then. When I told the trooper I didn't know what it was and asked him to describe to me what I should be looking for, he immediately directed me over into the "offender" lane. Once there, another trooper took over and told me what it was, and I thought I remembered having something like that in the glove box. I found it and everything was cool and I went on my way.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whole thing took me about 30 seconds.

COP: Have you bring drinking ?
ME: No !
COP: Have a good day.

The Cop was respectful of me and I of him.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,751
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.