-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I try to go a once, or twice, a year. It reminds me of a simpler time when I didn't have to smell good, sit still all day and worry about the wind.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I've never eaten squirrel.

Squirrel & Snow Goose are my two most favorite wild game meals of all.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
V
I have fond memories of my Dad and I going squirrel hunting on the fist day of season. When I was a kid that was one of my happiest times was to be in the woods on September 1st.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I try to go a once, or twice, a year. It reminds me of a simpler time when I didn't have to smell good, sit still all day and worry about the wind.

That's right...a beagle and a pocket knife.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got back into it about a dozen years ago.
Georgia squirrel season starts Aug. 15th and end late Feb..
CZ 17hmr is a lot of fun in the open hardwoods ,use a laser and hits at 150-160 yds aren't too hard to make.
Back to using a 22lr though ,just being in the woods with a rifle is great.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cs2blue
benchman, I also live in Maryland, Harford county, Jarrettsville. Where are you based out of?
Southern Md., Dares Beach. We have a lot of deer, geese, and gray squirrel. That's about it!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Yeah, those office jobs are he**, aren't they? I worry about the wind too, every time I break off a good one, someone seems to want to come in my office, it gets downright embarrassing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We just had squirrel Brunswick stew last night.I think my wife browns the parts in oil then cooks them in the crock pot for a few hours before adding to the stew. I use my kimber .22 with agula subsonic ammo.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For the old tough ones, brown in hot oil and put in the pressure cooker about 20 min.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
When our deer season ends on 31 January, I'll be out there with my Rem. 541-S. Head shots only.

My first hunt ever was when I was six (1956) with my Father, my Uncle and cousin with a Feist Terrier. When my Uncle shot at a high one from the other side of the tree, I thought it was raining when the shotgun pellets started falling. smile My Mother took a movie of the skinning /cleaning process with a home movie camera and got my older Sister's reactions. sick The movies have since been put on a VHS tape and they're a scream to watch.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love to hunt squirrels. I use a bolt action .22 rifle (Kimber Hunter) and WMT ammo. With head shots, it's all I need. I see no use for for a 17 HMR for this type of hunting. Hey, use what you like and enjoy.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, the HMR does the job!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a kid trying to grow up in Oklahoma, I don't recall any kind of season on squirrels. Shooting time started when the cotton started flying off the cottonwood trees. Never ever shoot one anywhere but in the head. Shotgun?? Nobody that I knew did that!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That lady has it all figured out. Great!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Shotgun?? Nobody that I knew did that!

In the Texas Piney Woods the pines grow up to 80 ft. Hardwoods don't necessarily drop their foliage on time as we do not have typical Fall seasons. The squirrels can easily hide from a .22 head shot. But, the 12 gauge delivers enough payload to defoliate the tree & terminate the quarry. Too, the Cat squirrels never stop moving. I have shot them many a time running wide open through the canopy, hard to do with a rifle.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For the constantly active cat squirrels before the leaves thin out a low base bird load with 1 oz of 6's out of a 20 ga. Is adequate, though in my young days I used a 12 or 16 ga with high base WW red or Remington greens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a scoped 22 and went for head shots. A guy I used to work with used a full choked 12 with high base 5s when the leaves were on the trees. When I said I thought that was overkill he said when they were in the tall poplars and oaks it made a difference. Then he said, "when I go squirrel huntin I go to kill squirrels."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
....used a full choked 12 with high base 5s when the leaves were on the trees. When I said I thought that was overkill he said when they were in the tall poplars and oaks it made a difference. Then he said, "when I go squirrel huntin I go to kill squirrels."

I preferred high brass #5 shot, it does make a difference & I feel the same as your friend.

Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.