Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've been putting some rounds through my new Wilson lately and falling in love with it. It really is a magnificent piece of machinery and craftmanship. It's a pleasure to shoot. I've been able to knock out the center of just about any target I've pointed it at - it's exactly what I'd hoped it would be.

That said, I've been packing it around on my side in a nice leather OWB holster from wilson for a few days, and I've got to say, I don't think I'd ever choose to carry a 1911 when I had other choices. The thing is heavy! and big! Most modern polymer guns weigh half as much and hold twice as many rounds, and are generally pretty worry free. If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I'd reach for one of my glocks.

To me, a sweet 1911 is almost like a rolex watch. The craftmanship is unsurpassed. There's a pride of ownership. It's fun to look at and it's likely to be an heirloom if you keep it. It's got history and nostalgia built in. But...modern digital watches keep better time at a fraction of the cost.

Do any of you guys carry a 1911 as your EDC? And like it? If you do, props to you. I can't ever see myself carrying the 1911 platform unless I had to - but I'll shoot the snot out of it at the range!

That to me is a going to the range, showing to your buddies gun, not a carry gun. If I'm carrying 39oz, it's going to be because there's 15+ rounds in the mag. Hell, a Glock 20 or 21 weighs less and isn't any harder to conceal than a 5" 1911.

I laugh to at the "it's a mental thing, you'll get used to it" BS. Last I checked, 39oz is still 39oz. Yeah a good quality belt and holster helps, but that same belt and holster also helps with a 22oz pistol. YMMV.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Who in the hell needs 15+ rounds.

This debate is wore out.

Some people need a whole lifetime to come full circle.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The guy who needed nine rounds and only had eight. Google Trolley Square shooting Salt Lake City and see what the off duty officer who found himself in the middle of a shirt-storm said about only having eight rounds in an actual armed encounter, not in your Jeff Cooper book.

I've been around the block long enough to know very few people carry a spare mag with their carry gun and that number is even less with the guys I know who carry 1911s, and their excuse is always because their pistol is already too heavy. Also know lots of guys who bought 1911s and carried them for a week and now they're locked in a safe. I'd imagine DFE had good intentions of carrying that $3k Wilson when he ordered it .... whistle

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have been pack'n a 1911 all my adult life. I don't see an argument here. There just isn't one.

There's more to pack'n than just pack'n. Common sense weighs nothing.

Striker fire/double stack guns do make a bigger bulge in your panties for those guys that need it to impress the ladies.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Never ever found it a problem to pack 39 ounces and a spare magazine is not a problem either. The 1911's haven't been a problem for me since 1974. A man that struggles with 39 ounces now that is some funny [bleep] right there, that right there.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
The guy who needed nine rounds and only had eight. Google Trolley Square shooting Salt Lake City and see what the off duty officer who found himself in the middle of a shirt-storm said about only having eight rounds in an actual armed encounter, not in your Jeff Cooper book.

I've been around the block long enough to know very few people carry a spare mag with their carry gun and that number is even less with the guys I know who carry 1911s, and their excuse is always because their pistol is already too heavy. Also know lots of guys who bought 1911s and carried them for a week and now they're locked in a safe. I'd imagine DFE had good intentions of carrying that $3k Wilson when he ordered it .... whistle

I did google and I read 3 different write ups on the incident and none mentioned anyone running out of ammo before the perpetrator was killed by an off duty police officer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I carry one everyday. LW Commnader Kimber Custom Shop Super Carry Pro.

In 45acp, of course!

Not to hi-jack, but I been packin' that little flat-top around the farm here for a couple weeks, sweet little 44. smile

Gunner

That's hard to beat, for packin every day in the outdoors, Gunner. Every once in while, when I'm working at the Ranch, and wearing a Colt SAA in 45colt, I'll forget & pack it in the store when I run to get some smokes. Kinda Nostalgic, like the old time Rangers. And I certainly don't feel under armed, with it cool

Hope your .44 Flattop is shooting as accurately for you as it did for me with my hand loads. That little thing is a sure enough Tack Driver!

She's a keeper, 275 gr. wfngc's and H4227. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Occasionally, yes, daily, no. Browning BDM 9mm is in the car every day when I head to work. Can't take it inside so its stays there until I'm back home.

On weekends my Walther PPK/s is IWB, small of back whenver I'm away from the house, unless I'm headed into the swamp they call Denver. In that case either the 15-round 9mm or Kimber compact gets the call.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TBREW401
RJM,
My Colt commander stainless weighs 2lb, 6oz
My Glock 19 weighs 1lb 7oz
Both empty without mags

Maybe the ss models are heavier---

Alloy framed Commanders weigh 26-28 oz, depending on manufacturer, w/o a mag.

(That equals 1 lb, 11 oz.)

My own personal G-19 weighs 24 oz or 1 lb, 8 oz.

I'm sure that an alloy framed Commander is what RJM was referring to.

MM

...what he said...thanks...

Commanders are alloy frame...Combat Commanders are steel or stainless steel.

When I get a chance I'll load both and see what the weights are.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

I did google and I read 3 different write ups on the incident and none mentioned anyone running out of ammo before the perpetrator was killed by an off duty police officer

I'll have to look but I think I did read somewhere he ran out of ammo just as another officer arrived on scene...he was not carrying an extra magazine...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We all know the saying ounces turns to pounds, pounds equals pain grin

A 39 ounce firearm is not that difficult to carry as long as you have a quality holster and a top notch belt.

There are alot of belt makers on the market and they are not created equal, If you do some reserach you will see the mounds of marketing b/s.

For me I have and still carry a 1911 when my atire can conceal it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJM

I'll have to look but I think I did read somewhere he ran out of ammo just as another officer arrived on scene...he was not carrying an extra magazine...

Bob

Never understood not carrying extra ammo, no problem if you do not need it but if you do then it is a problem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

This debate is wore out.

Waaaaaaaay worn out.................

Originally Posted by Seasons44

A 39 ounce firearm is not that difficult to carry as long as you have a quality holster and a top notch belt.

There are alot of belt makers on the market and they are not created equal, If you do some reserach you will see the mounds of marketing b/s.

+1,

But that's also why they make 28 oz alloy framed Commander sized pistols.........no loss of design or effectiveness, just 10 oz lighter & 3/4" shorter on the barrel.

Originally Posted by Seasons44

For me I have and still carry a 1911 when my atire can conceal it.

As holster guns go, a 1911 is actually one of, if not the easiest, to conceal.

Never understood not carrying extra ammo,

Me neither; absolutely no problem to carry at least one, if not 2, extra mags.........kinda like common sense, eh?

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 10mm holds 9, and an extra magazine with a bumper sits right next to my wallet in my off hand back pocket. Piece a cake to carry for me. But, it might have something to do with my being 6'3" and a fairly fit 250lbs. Might be a different story for a guy who goes 5'8 and weighs in at 150 or so. I have never been that guy (since 6th grade and couldn't carry a handgun)) so I don't know.

Kind of like my 9.5-10lb all up big game rifles. As a percentage of my body mass, they feel like lightweights to me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I carry one most of the time.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R H Clark,

The Milt Sparks Summer Special is an IWB holster and a 5" 1911 is very easy to conceal with this holster.
The cant puts the butt up high and is perfect for a fast grab.

I've packed my 1911 with an un-tucked T shirt for cover. Even a Levi jacket will cover the gun.

Very comforting AND comfortable for all day carry.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by safariman
My 10mm holds 9, and an extra magazine with a bumper sits right next to my wallet in my off hand back pocket. Piece a cake to carry for me. But, it might have something to do with my being 6'3" and a fairly fit 250lbs. Might be a different story for a guy who goes 5'8 and weighs in at 150 or so. I have never been that guy (since 6th grade and couldn't carry a handgun)) so I don't know.

Kind of like my 9.5-10lb all up big game rifles. As a percentage of my body mass, they feel like lightweights to me.

When David carried a SAW he was require to carry 1000 rounds, an 80 pound pack and a heavy armored vest and he weighed a mighty 165 pounds. It is not size it is not being pussyfied

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

When David carried a SAW he was require to carry 1000 rounds, an 80 pound pack and a heavy armored vest and he weighed a mighty 165 pounds. It is not size it is not being pussyfied

I thought about saying something like that, glad that YOU did! shocked cool

But, I think I remember that David only carried a sling and five round rocks.....

I feel similarly about the guys who have to have a 6 or 7lb hunting rifle, but to be fair my days of backpack hunting are long over. I did carry the 10lb plus guns all over the Elk Mountains and all through various parts of Alaska and Africa before my Kidneys went south.

Last edited by safariman; 01/21/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wanted to add:

I recently aquired a new "cover garmet" for cool days.

It's a Deluthe traders short sleeve sweatshirt. The tail is 3" longer that a regular sweatshirt and covers my 1911 really well.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just because a lot of guys are afraid of a few extra ounces, doesn't mean we all have to be. If you're going to carry a 1911, what's the bother with carrying a spare mag? It never bothers me. It really is all in the mind, for most of us.

But Glock users need not make excuses if that's what they like.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.