Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have to switch to satellite but what do you all suggest dish or direct, cable is not an option where we are moving.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DirectTV, hands down.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Direct TV has been very good to me. Last time I checked they had a better channel selection than Dish. We paid for the insurance on all hardware and when lightning struck my dish and burned out all the cable, they replaced everything at no charge. They're not perfect by any means, but if I was signing up again, I'd call them first.

Last edited by test1328; 01/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I researched this for several weeks this summer and chose DirecTV. The determining factor for me was word of mouth commendations from friends and family who had tried both. I believe that picture quality is better than I had with either Comcast or FIOS in town.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got Direct, but am changing to Dish - as Direct is no longer carrying the Superior Livestock Auction, and is dropping the Weather Channel.
These are must-haves in my life.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I've said before, the only thing DirectTV has going for it is that it is far better than the alternatives.

They did recently drop The Weather Channel (a fee dispute) but they put Weather Nation in its same slot. WN is almost as good, and it is truly 24-hr weather. No "reality show" fillers. (I enjoyed Coast Guard Alaska, but the other shows were just silly. And when I want to see weather, I want weather, not some bozo haggling for gemstones.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had Direct-tv and now I have Dish. I like Dish better but with got a few more channels with Direct TV. Direcet TV kept creeping the bill up and up and up.

But turthfully, I'm not sure any of them are worth what I pay. I may be dropping it in Oct and getting Apple TV or something of the like.

Camp is where you make it.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Direct tv! The nfl package was great.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
when I called Direct TV they wouldn't even give me prices with out my social security number, so I'm think they are out. Dish right now has a promotion of a free Ipad mini.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dish Network, all the way-
They have something called the Hopper, which lets you do all kinds of neat stuff, like view your recorded shows, live TV, movies, etc. from remote locations, using your pads and phones.

You can also watch the same shows on multiple TVs, record from anywhere, etc. Cool stuff.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
I had Direct-tv and now I have Dish. I like Dish better but with got a few more channels with Direct TV. Direcet TV kept creeping the bill up and up and up.

But turthfully, I'm not sure any of them are worth what I pay. I may be dropping it in Oct and getting Apple TV or something of the like.

Same here. I got tired of calling and them, "seeing what they could do" to lower the price. It would be fine for a couple of months, then jump $50. They treat new customers great and existing ones like total crap. I have Dish now. So far they have been much easier to work with because they haven't pulled a bunch of shady crap like DirecTV. If they do decide to go that route, I'm going to drop it completely. I don't watch a lot of TV and you can get most stuff online or through the free local channels. It's really just an expense that ensures you waste hours of your life on the couch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Dish. 10 to 12 years. No problems.
Whoever you get I wouldn't let them screw through my shingles to put the dish up. No way was I going to let an installer put holes in my shingles. So had it mounted around my fireplace chimney. Fireplace chimney was out of wood, so after 5 or 6 years the dish would shake in a heavy wind.
Got on the net and ordered a arm for the side of the house, drilled into the brick, moved the dish to new spot and had figured out how to site them in earlier and just set out in the driveway and sited it in.
All I'm trying to say is make sure the dish is put where you want it.

Last edited by Wtxj; 01/21/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you are a football fan, NFL Sunday Ticket is only available on DirecTV. I've had DirecTV from day one and have no complaints. If you have any trees around you, you may or may not be able to see the satellites from one service or another.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tzone

Got an email from Direct Tv just last week informing us that there will be a billing increase of between 3 and 4% starting next month for their satellite service.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I had Dish for 10 years or so and was happy-until I felt I deserved an upgrade to DVR at N/C. I informed how I had always paid on time etc and felt this should be N/C ala a new customer. Dish told me to go pound sand. I got DTV and got DVR free. Told Dish to disconnect, Dish said they would give me free DVR to keep me as I had been a "good & loyal" customer. I told them to please come and get their shyte off my porch asap.
Been with DTV for 7-8 years now.
Don't really see any difference between the two.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
just ended up with Direct TV from the phone company, highspeed internet and the DTV ultimate package for $54.95/month for two years and $100.00 visa card, free installation and no set up fees.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just got rid of DISH�.it sucked donkey balls�

Basic package was 168 channels+ music channels

100+ of them were either infomercial or Christian Channels,others were shopping channels, and a very few for entertainment, which BTW on the night before I decided to pull the plug on DISH, three channels were playing Bonnie and Clyde at the same time�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
I have to switch to satellite but what do you all suggest dish or direct, cable is not an option where we are moving.

Whichever you choose, and I've had both, you will have to change after a few years.

Satellite TV is the only industry I know that puts all it's focus on gaining new customers and none on retaining the ones they have.

I switched back to Direct TV from Dish a couple years ago when a young college student knocked on my door and made his pitch. The preceding paragraph is quoting him.

He had on a nice knit shirt with the Direct TV logo on one shoulder and Dish logo on the other!!

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They both suk. Nothing but infomercials on direct

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.