Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Have they shut down model 70 production in South Carolina? Have they started production in Europe yet? The SC 70s were really nice. I hope they don't screw it up with the move...

Edit: if the BAR Safari is any indication we might be ok. smile

Last edited by philthygeezer; 01/21/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not sure exactly when the change is going to happen (or if it already has) but manufacturing will still be in SC, it is only assembly that will be in Portugal.

Several Winchester and Browning offerings are already assembled in Portugal and have been for years, I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was thinking they might be in the middle of the change over right now, since new m70's are hard to find at the moment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't see the gain in manufacturing in SC, then shipping to Portugal to have it assembled, then shipped back or to dealers? Am I missing something?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree that this does not seem to make sense. Anybody know why they would do this?

Originally Posted by MGunns
I can't see the gain in manufacturing in SC, then shipping to Portugal to have it assembled, then shipped back or to dealers? Am I missing something?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just Googled labor "rates in other countries"

hourly cost of manufacturing in the US: $35.67
hourly cost of manufacturing in Portugal: $12.10

I'm guessing assembly is the most labor intensive part of manufacturing a rifle. 24 bucks an hour pays a lot of freight

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm only buying the older ones from here on out. Phuuuuuuck them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you are doing 4500 rifles, that's $108,000 so, it's a business you know? People would be all cranky and schit if FN said pluckk it, we ain't makin' no mo M70's at all, evah!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Phuuuuuck em...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
When you are doing 4500 rifles, that's $108,000 so, it's a business you know? People would be all cranky and schit if FN said pluckk it, we ain't makin' no mo M70's at all, evah!

Maybe for the short term. It's not like a FN M70 is a classic already. There are more American made rifles now then ever before. These are the good old days when it comes to choices.

SC Labor must be high if it's cheaper to ship all the parts to Europe, pay someone to assemble them, then ship them all back.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kimber.

Late addition: For pure factory, Ruger deserves a look if made in America is important. Have only one, but it is a winner.

Last edited by battue; 01/26/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, does anyone know if this has happened yet? Wasn't it announced in 2012 to begin in 2013?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Kimber.

Late addition: For pure factory, Ruger deserves a look if made in America is important. Have only one, but it is a winner.

Remington 700 and Model 7?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by southtexas
Just Googled labor "rates in other countries"

hourly cost of manufacturing in the US: $35.67
hourly cost of manufacturing in Portugal: $12.10

I'm guessing assembly is the most labor intensive part of manufacturing a rifle. 24 bucks an hour pays a lot of freight

My old Browning B2000 says, "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal." Evidently labor has been cheaper in Portugal for a long time.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Kimber.

No way I'm shooting a Remington.

The folks at a local gun shop told me that the Winchster/Browning folks got cold feet and decided to keep the assembly in the U.S.A. Who knows at this point? I have a buddy that is looking for a new Sporter in 30.06 and can't find one anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The folks at the LGS ALWAYS know the straight poop.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Kimber.

No way I'm shooting a Remington.

The folks at a local gun shop told me that the Winchster/Browning folks got cold feet and decided to keep the assembly in the U.S.A. Who knows at this point? I have a buddy that is looking for a new Sporter in 30.06 and can't find one anywhere.

You can't find them at the wholesale level either or at least I can't.

I'm in the market for one, but they shift production overseas and I'll go with a Ruger....it's sad how this country has put a price tag on our sovereignty, but that's another discussion.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason the stocks... winchesters supplier of stocks couldnt gurantee the qc, winchester was sending more stocks back to the supplier. In portugal fn/browning have an in house stock making operation. So they can gurantee the qc on the stocks since they are made in house. Thats why boys... The supplier was supposedly boyds stocks...

Last edited by 79S; 01/27/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 79S
The reason the stocks... winchesters supplier of stocks couldnt gurantee the qc, winchester was sending more stocks back to the supplier. In portugal fn/browning have an in house stock making operation. So they can gurantee the qc on the stocks since they are made in house. Thats why boys... The supplier was supposedly boyds stocks...

This is what they told me today on the phone as well. Seems a little weak to me. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog. You move your entire operation across the pond because of the stocks???????? That may surely be a factor but I feel sure that it was a financial decision. Bummer!!!! It may cost them some of their best customer base. I guess I will have to do a little soul searching on the matter. If I were to buy a new rifle rifle now I would look for a S.C. made one or go with Ruger.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,672
Posts18,513,157
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.