Print Thread
Hop To
A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I hope this is the right place for this....
What is your experience with Pyrodex pellets in an 1858 cap & ball? What about loose Pyrdex? FFF still first choice? C & B will be a new adventure for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think you will be able to fit a pellet plus a ball in the gun, and they are HARD to ignite, IME. Loose 3F Pyrodex (Pyrodex pistol) will light up more readily, but still not as easily as true black powder, and is what I will be running in my soon to arrive replica Walker Dragoon. I might even try to find some loose 4F Pyrodex, but it is a rare occasion that I have ever seen that stuff.

Another option, and one that I would surely entertain if I had an 1858 Remington replica, is the conversion cylinder from various sources (Dixie, Cabela's and others) that allows for firing 45 Long Colt ammo in one's 1858 Remmy clone.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Swiss FFFG and a round ball. BPCR lube over the ball.
No pellets, takes more fire then caps. Loose Pyrocrap will fire OK but less velocity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't know that Pyrodex had less energy per volume, interesting notation. To me, the less risk of getting rusty parts and extensive cleaning being much easier might still win out with a quite pretty, still yet to be fired until I get it, Walker Dragoon replica in hand. Methinks it will be plenty powerful, either way.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Give us the details on that hog leg when you shoot it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is surely the plan! I have mis placed (again) my only decent digital camera, but hope to snag another one when I see my next (itty bitty) retirement check on Feb 3rd or so. Will try to post up some action shots and impressions of the gun then.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
aj

My cap and ball revolvers enjoy loose Triple 7. Great velocity. Great accuracy, easy cleanup. Pyrodex is more corrosive. I don't use, nor have I tried pellets of any type because of rumored ignition problems. In this case, I didn't feel the need to prove or disprove the rumors because what I was doing worked well enough.

Best.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
aj

My cap and ball revolvers enjoy loose Triple 7. Great velocity. Great accuracy, easy cleanup. Pyrodex is more corrosive. I don't use, nor have I tried pellets of any type because of rumored ignition problems. In this case, I didn't feel the need to prove or disprove the rumors because what I was doing worked well enough.

Best.

Dan

^^^ That.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ajHilgy,

Use one of the lubed felt wads to prevent chain firing... the lube over the ball just creates a hell of a mess.

Never quite got the Pyrodex thing... maybe it's the storage requirement for stores or that you can get off more shots in a rifle before you have to wipe the bore? But it is corrosive and been a long time since I tried it but if IIRC it was not much easier to clean than Black.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/21/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a ruger old army that i play with once in a while. I have had consistent ignition problems using pellets or pyrodex. I have been told, haven't done it, to replace the nipples with a non factory type, and, to use original black powder, or some other type.
Was watching an old period western last night, and pointed out one guy was using a remington. Wife asked me how i knew, so i pulled the old army out this morning that she didn't know i had.
The are a pain to clean properly, but accuracy and power they have in spades.
The movie i was watching showed the guy tripping in the snow with the revolver just caked in snow when he fell. Can't imagine that was a good idea with cap and ball.
i can well understand why one would want to have a spare Loaded cyclinder on hand.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/21/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm leery of having a preloaded cylinder that is also capped. It's too easy to imagine either dropping the cylinder, or accidentally having a cap impact the frame during insertion.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pellets are a real PITA in C&B revolvers, I much prefer real black or Hodgens 777.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Both 3F black powder from GOEX and Pyrodex P work well in my percussion revolvers. Swiss BP may be best of all by reputation, but I haven't tried it yet. Consider using an overpowder wad, then a dab of lube, then last the ball; I have been having really good results with this system in terms of lack of fouling and easy cleaning.

A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the pointer Gents. So FFF it is.
Golfswithwolves: What is the "dab of lube" you put under the ball? Is it the same thing used for patched round ball in a rifle? What brand of #10 cap is recommended? Right now I'll probably buy whatever I can find.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Yes the lube is just standard blackpowder lube, the same stuff as most shooters put OVER the ball. I have been using a 85% Crisco/15% beeswax mix as suggested by a gentleman on the Percussionrevolvers.com site who also devised the idea of lube under the ball. Between the wad and ball the lube stays in place without being messy and seems to keep fouling in the barrel and chambers soft and minimal. But if this system doesn't work for you the standard way is either to use only a lightly lubed felt wad over the powder or to use just a dab of lube over the ball. Caps are whatever fits the nipples of your gun; usually CCI #11 or maybe Remington #10 is close. Good luck and have fun GWW

Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 01/21/14.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
30 g goex 3f powder, .454 swaged ball, wonder wads, remington or CCI #10 caps. done and done. no sense in making it complicated.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never had any failure to ignite with Pyrodreck P in my C&B revolvers (1858 replica and Ruger Old Army), but 777 in fffg works better. Easier to clean, too. No pellets - just loose powder.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.