Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8495137 01/21/14
R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have been looking at UL backpacking tents to use for a hunting base camp. I'm looking for something under 3 lbs if possible, and, being a fan of Big Agnes, I've been eyeing their Slater, Fly Creek, and Copper Spur (have the 3 person model) tents.

It seems as though less screen is better as I'd want to keep as much wind out as possible. Most UL tents are 3 season tents at best. But warmth isn't the tent's job as it's your sleeping bag and clothing and such.

Anyone using a 3 season tent to hunt out of near mountains or where the winters are fairly cold/snowy?

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend Tarptent, I've spent a bunch of time in a Contrail and it's been good to me.

R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I don't use trekking poles, but I did see a couple of tents I like.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How big a tent? I like my SL-5 and Mega-lite for lightweight 2-person shelters.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That SL5 with nest for $299 straight off the golite website just seems like a great value.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sl5 with nest would be good too!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't bother with the nest. I got the floor for the Mega-lite but never use it.

R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm a little guy and don't need much room as long as my gear can be stored without being in the way.

The size isn't an issue as long as it packs well. I'd want to weight to be <3 lbs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Solo, orr do you want it to fit two?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Another vote for Tarp Tent. I like my SL3 for the Late fall/early winter here in the Northeast.

IC B3

R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Solo. As I'd be moving somewhere new I'd be going alone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally dislike front entry tents, so two of the BA's you mention would be out for me.

I really like the Copper Spur... my wife and her girlfriend use the CSUL-2 and it's a proven tent. Montana Miller on this forum swears by his CSUL-1.

I had a Tarp Tent Rainbow and it's just too much of a condensation collector for my taste.

I prefer the simplicity of the MSR Hubba. I use the HP version (I actually have two and may decide to sell one of them if you're interested).

I use Fibraplex Poles, and ditched the factory Stuff Sacks, instead using Tarp Tent Stuff Sacks. With Tyvek Footprint mine comes in at 2lbs 10 oz's. With regular poles it's a shade under 3 lbs. The all net version is a couple ounces heavier than the HP version.

You can get great deals on the all-mesh Hubba right now as they changed it for 2014 (the new model is not to my liking).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brad, didn't you used to have a BD first light, what do you think of those for solo?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, I did. Had one from 2006 through to 2012. Liked a lot about the tent, but disliked the front entry and lack of vestibule. With Tyvek footprint it went 3lbs 7oz's. Not an enormous difference to the Hubba, but I'll gladly give up 1/2lb anywhere I can, especially if I can get a vestibule and side entry.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Why do you dislike front entry designs?

Though the vestibules seem rather small I'm wondering if there's plenty of room to place the big pack on the inside. To me this kinda defeats part of what a vestibule ought to be (a garage for storage), but it does still allow a place of entry/exit that keeps stuff out of the tent.

I don't like the idea of a lot of mesh, especially for winter, though I'd use this tent for all of my hunting forays. I greatly dislike cold wind! And this is the one thing I have against the CS. I do like our 3 person tent for our basic camping, and it's 2 vestibules.

Getting a hunting tent is further down my list at the moment. I do appreciate the offer though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't particularly like front entry either. I find a side entry tent to be a lot easier to get in and out of. The smaller the tent, the more marked the difference.

It may just be a matter of getting older and physically less flexible.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rodwha
Why do you dislike front entry designs?

Though the vestibules seem rather small I'm wondering if there's plenty of room to place the big pack on the inside. To me this kinda defeats part of what a vestibule ought to be (a garage for storage), but it does still allow a place of entry/exit that keeps stuff out of the tent.

I don't like the idea of a lot of mesh, especially for winter, though I'd use this tent for all of my hunting forays. I greatly dislike cold wind! And this is the one thing I have against the CS. I do like our 3 person tent for our basic camping, and it's 2 vestibules.

Getting a hunting tent is further down my list at the moment. I do appreciate the offer though.

RW, the problem with the Fly Creek and Slater is their vestibules and tent bodies extend at a fairly steep angle in front of the tent. Getting into the tent through the vestibule in inclement weather is fairly certain to allow that weather into the tent. Those tents also require a lot of guying, as neither are true freestanding tents.

While I always stored all my gear inside my front-entry Black Diamond Firstlight (never the pack, that's always outside), not having a vestibule became more and more of a drag. Ditto not entering the tent through a vestibule in bad weather. Ditto the angled front entry (even though it's only slightly angled).

Having a clean spot not on the tent floor to store boots is a huge advantage of a vestibule, as well as being able to cook there in chit-weather.

My wife and her girlfriend used the Flycreek-3 last summer here in Montana on a trip we all did together. They found the Flycreek tough to get in during the downpours/sleet we had every afternoon without getting stuff wet, and it was a lot harder to get in and out of than their Copper Spur 2. She sold the tent right after that trip. I was in the Hubba HP (non mesh, high performance version) and didn't experience a problem.

I'm with you on non-mesh for fall conditions, which is why I have the HP version of the Hubba. Still, I think the CS1 has a fair bit of non mesh inner tent and would be fine. Mostly. laugh

When I started backpacking in earnest in the mid 1970's I can't remember a tent that was side entry. I always remember those tents were tough to get into, especially for two people. That is, until I got a North Face VE24 in 1979. That was a breakthrough design and made life a lot easier, being a progenitor of the side entry dome (sans vestibule).

I've had a couple front entry designs sine then, but always find myself back with a side entry/vestibule design. They're just better for my needs/likes.

BTW, just sold the VE24 this fall on ebay for $189 after nearly 35 years owning it... IIRC that's what I paid for it new in June of 79'. I hadn't used it since a summer 1992 backpack in the Bob Marshall, and all the waterproof coating was gone from the floor.

People are nuts!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
After doing quite a bit of research looking for a tent for both solo and with my wife, I ended up getting the BA copper spur 3. It seemed like a good weight/size and had many good reviews. Someday when it gets above 0, I'll actually give it a try.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HW, my wife and her girlfriend have used the CS2 now for going on 7 years. I get to see it in action every summer above timberline in all kinds of weather. Really a great tent and design. Perhaps one of the - dare I say "best" - designs out there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I were looking for a solo tent I'd be all over the Copper Spur 1 or 2.

I have the 3 for me, my son, and my dog and I really, really like it. Saw one of the Copper Spur 1's used in some pretty horrible weather and it held up well.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.