Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've benefited so much from this forum in the past. This is my first post and I'm looking for recommendations on gunsmiths who could fit/finish an D'Arcy Echols Legend stock to a new M70 Alaskan in 375H&H. I called D'Arcy and the timing was right, as he had a shipment of standard fill Legends in stock. So this project is moving forward faster than I anticipated. I've a couple questions on this:

I haven't actually seen a single example here or elsewhere of the M70 Alaskan in a Legend stock. I'm assuming that there won't be a problem fitting the dog knot on the barrel? Also, if I wanted to upgrade to a custom barrel with a standard profile at some point would the notches for the dog knot make the stock unusable, or can that be filled and reused?

Most importantly at this point, I'm looking for the most efficient way forward to finish this stock and get it mounted on the rifle. The stock is coming from D'Arcy unpainted and unfinished so will need inletting, etc. I believe I could send this to McMillan for painting first. Would that be the recommendation, or do I send the unfinished stock to the smith first for inletting, decelerator pad, etc?

Finally, I got the standard fill as this is a combo Colorado Elk and Texas hog gun, so lots of walking. As a result, D'Arcy suggested the cross-bolts, which I had him drill. Can a good smith grind those smooth to the body and paint over? On a synthetic I do prefer the look of a smooth stock rather than the cross-bolts. Some recommendations of reliable smiths would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
First off welcome to the fire.
I have a Pre 64 M70 on the same stock except it has edge fill. You've picked a great stock and I susupect got proper info from D'Arcy.
As far as smith's I'd look to Lee Cristiansen (redneck here) or Jim Kobe ( Jkob here ) Thye've both done great work on many of my model 70's.I did the stock work on my own and the factory inletting was quite good. The dognut should not be a problem and if you ever rebarrel it can be filled in. I'd get the paintiing of th stock done last. If mcm has a long wait time there are other folks who can do a fine job of painting. Feel free tom PM me if you need some contact info for Lee or Jim.
You've got the start of a great rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The cross bolts will be right coming from D'Arcy and Brian.

If Mcmillan will do it anymore call them and see if they will bed it/finish it out for you. They do exceptional work.

N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Called McMillan and, while they don't do the bedding jobs anymore, they will be happy to paint it after the smith does his work. $96 for any of their paint options isn't too bad for the quality they offer. So, now to find a smith...

Handwerk, PM inbound.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is my Pre 64 in 9.3x64 in an Edge filled Legend.

[Linked Image]

Alan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Alan, what barrel profile is that? What length, and if you don't mind checking what diameter where it leaves the foreend tip and muzzle? Where is the balance point? What does it weigh?

I am building a 9.3x62 on a pre-64 and Legend Edge and am obsessing over barrel contour.

Thanks!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Rick,
I have a pre 64 M70 300 H&H in the same stock as GSSP. It has a #2 lilja which worked out great. At one time I had a 9.3x62 on M70 action which I had put a 23" #3 pac-nor on,(rimrock stock) it seemed just right as far as barrel contour for that caliber.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I also have a legend edge fill stock- a '49 Mod 70 .340 Wby in a with a 26" Krieger med. sporter. I had it restocked from a Hi-Tech into to the Legend stock. I'm very pleased with the result and hands down with the change.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 01/21/14.
N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Nice rifle, GSSP. Like RickF, I'd like to know the barrel profile on that rifle and where it balances. Is that the original barrel, or have you changed it around?

I'm a little concerned about the Alaskan barrel profile; the dog knot for the rear site makes it unconventional in terms of profile and knowing where the balance point will be. I have a pre-war M70 in .375 with the sporter barrel and love the balance point, but that only used with irons. I'll see how this Alaskan profile works out once bedded, but would consider changing the barrel profile if it doesn't balance in the hand perfectly.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rick,

#3 Pacnor @ 24"

Balance point
[Linked Image]

Weight
[Linked Image]

I'll get the measurement you asked for soon.

Alan

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As promised.

[Linked Image]

Alan

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interesting on the cross bolts. When I was deciding on my McM for my M70 416 Rem both D'Arcy and McM recommended magnum fill and to not use the second barrel mounted lug. McM thought the mag fill would add three oz. The finished stock with 1" Decelerator pad weighs 35 oz. Curious what yours weighs?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As it came from Echols, with out studs or pad, 21 oz.

Alan

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry, my bad, I was asking the OP.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Interesting on the cross bolts. When I was deciding on my McM for my M70 416 Rem both D'Arcy and McM recommended magnum fill and to not use the second barrel mounted lug. McM thought the mag fill would add three oz. The finished stock with 1" Decelerator pad weighs 35 oz. Curious what yours weighs?

DArcy weighed this batch for me: standard fill came in at 1lb 9oz and the Mag fill at 2lbs-3oz, so ten ounces difference. I talked it over with DArcy and Brian and they suggested the standard fill if this was to be a distance walking/stalking gun (which it is). They recommended against the Edge fill, though I've seen some out there.

DArcy didn't mention anything about not using the lug; do you mean the sight lug, or the recoil lug?

I don't have the recoil pad installed yet, so don't know the full weight. I'll weigh it when it's back from the smith and post it here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by njellis

DArcy weighed this batch for me: standard fill came in at 1lb 9oz and the Mag fill at 2lbs-3oz, so ten ounces difference. I talked it over with DArcy and Brian and they suggested the standard fill if this was to be a distance walking/stalking gun (which it is). They recommended against the Edge fill, though I've seen some out there.
I wouldn't use Edge fill for a .375 either.. A bit too much recoil for that stuff to handle.

DArcy didn't mention anything about not using the lug; do you mean the sight lug, or the recoil lug?
I believe he means the secondary lug that's on a factory .416 that's placed several inches muzzleward from the receiver face.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would listen to what Redneck said. He built my rifle sans the stock finishing.

Alan

N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
D'Arcy has a Legend stock in the mail, and I decided to have Redneck rebarrel the action with a 23" Pac-Nor #3. I'll post pics once its finished.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have not chimed in so far because I think the advice you have been getting is spot on. I have several of D'Arcy's stocks and have had redneck do three projects for me. I expect you will be pleased with the outcome.

Use the Pachmyer sporting clays recoil pad because it has a hard plastic heel that won't catch on you clothes. Nice feature on a big bore.

Good call going with regular fill over mag fill. I have a mag fill, and it feels much heavier than the mere number of ounces would lead one to expect.

You can get a different mag spring that will increase capacity by one round.

N
njellis Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks Utah. Nice to hear.

Any idea who makes that mag spring?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,447
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.