Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here is my VZ-24 in .358 Norma mag. I like it.

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by donsm70

[Linked Image]

donsm70

I like it also, I love the wood on that, very unusual, do you know what kind of wood that is?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

Good to hear you still have that Mexican .257! That was one of the last walnut stocks I did. Just didn't have time for much stock-work after that.

The most cost-effective way to get a 98 Mauser actioned hunting rifle is definitely NOT starting from the beginning with a military action. There are too many good commercial-actioned 98's around, or used custom rifles built on military 98's with some or all of the work already done.

But there is also a certain something about a rifle put together the way YOU want on a good military 98, whether you do some of the work yourself or hire it done.

These days, however, the lengths to which some people go are incredible. 50-75 years ago a lot of custom 98's were built with the military magazine assembly, but today many people replace the perfectly good hinged floorplate of the 1909 Argentine (perhaps the major reason 1909's were always desirable) with custom "bottom metal" costing $600. Then there's the money spent turning a military 98 into a "double square bridge" with a lot of welding, machinging and filing, when you can buy a CZ 550 or Ruger Hawkeye with the same basic feature.

However, rifle loonyism knows no bounds. It's never been about need or practicality. Instead it's about WANT....

I think "dreams" would be a better description.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by donsm70

[Linked Image]

donsm70

I like it also, I love the wood on that, very unusual, do you know what kind of wood that is?

No. I do not know what kind of wood it is, and unfortunately, the man that built it has since passed away.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a pic of my VZ24. 280 Ackley, Shilen CM Octagon, SKS Bases and Rings, Kepplinger Single set trigger.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a 1909 I threw together in 240wby.
The cool thing about building a custom is you can pick barrel contour, twist.... two position or three position firing pin blocking safety or a trigger blocking safety...
You can satin blue, rust blue or cerakote...
This Mauser is an 8 twist #1 contour, 3 position safety, finished in graphite black cerakote.
An earlier poster said they are a waste of money and you should just buy a factory rifle? really?
It cost just as much for these options whether its a Remington or a Mauser. I do most of my own work so my customs Mauser's don't cost a fortune and it's very rewarding.

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep'm coming guy's! Beautiful rifles.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The cool thing about building a custom is you can pick barrel contour, twist.... two position or three position firing pin blocking safety or a trigger blocking safety...
This Mauser is an 8 twist #1 contour, 3 position safety, finished in graphite black cerakote.
An earlier poster said they are a waste of money and you should just buy a factory rifle? really?
It cost just as much for these options whether its a Remington or a Mauser. I do most of my own work so my customs Mauser's don't cost a fortune and it's very rewarding.

[Linked Image]

I could hunt that one, quite happily. Very nice work, nicely balanced build. One question, did you do the stock from a blank or a semi-inletted stock (and if so, which pattern).
All these pics make me think about trying a project next winter, to keep the winter blues away and get another one in the house! Quite sure I'd do it on either a commercial mauser (FN or Husqvarna) or one already sporterized (at least drilled/tapped and the bolt handle done).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by patbrennan

[Linked Image]

I could hunt that one, quite happily. Very nice work, nicely balanced build. One question, did you do the stock from a blank or a semi-inletted stock (and if so, which pattern).
All these pics make me think about trying a project next winter, to keep the winter blues away and get another one in the house! Quite sure I'd do it on either a commercial mauser (FN or Husqvarna) or one already sporterized (at least drilled/tapped and the bolt handle done).

Pat,
I made a pattern stock, used a laminate blem blank from Boyds and proceeded to shape , file, sand and add bondo to get the shape I wanted. The laminate was ideal as the layers helped me keep the lines straight.
Then I sent the pattern stock with my chosen walnut blank to Dennis Olsen in Plains,Mt. he turned the blank and then I inletted, sanded and finished it.
I used Sitka Deers epoxy method, basically thin the two part epoxy to the consistency of water, then heat the stock in the oven and paint the epoxy on till the wood won't absorb anymore.
After it cures, wet sand it smooth then apply several coats of oil.
Rub out final finish, send to Tim Smith/lyon for checkering and done!
It's a great winter project and can't recommend it highly enough.
And it cost less than McMillan. smile

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by z1r
You can't really compare a full custom rifle (of any make) to a box stock, off the shelf, production rifle.

You most certainly can, in just about every meaningful way. It's a mindf�ck to 'engineer' something so revolutionary every major manufacturer missed it. Not to mention the privilege of paying triple for equal performance, and the divine right of recouping less than half of your 'investment'.

The OP should do himself, his kids, and everyone else a favor, buy a nice production rifle that fills a need, and invest the remaining fortune in Little Johnny's retirement fund.

GFY

...said the guy who just spent how much on a custom 700???

It's all about what you're looking to accomplish. If my dad had built me a custom hunting rifle chambered to a versatile cartridge I guarantee it'd be one of my most treasured possessions.

There are some things whose value can't be quantified in dollars. A custom hunting rifle built as a gift from a loving father would DEFINITELY be one of those things...

Last edited by efw; 01/23/14.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
6mmwasp, How do you like the kepplinger? Not alot of info out there on it, I have one thats going into my g33/40 build. This is the first set trigger I've had, and I gotta say I really like the trigger shoe.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That & irf's are both GORGEOUS examples of classically styled custom Mausers. How one would compare those to ANY production rifles is a mystery to me.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r
You can't really compare a full custom rifle (of any make) to a box stock, off the shelf, production rifle.

You most certainly can, in just about every meaningful way. It's a mindf�ck to 'engineer' something so revolutionary every major manufacturer missed it. Not to mention the privilege of paying triple for equal performance, and the divine right of recouping less than half of your 'investment'.

The OP should do himself, his kids, and everyone else a favor, buy a nice production rifle that fills a need, and invest the remaining fortune in Little Johnny's retirement fund.

GFY

Yeah, there are those that are completely satisfied buying Harbor Freight tools, using them a little while until they break or wear out, and replacing them. Then there are those that prefer to get the best tool they can afford and enjoy many years of trouble free service. I guess we know which you are.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by z1r

GFY

Yeah, there are those that are completely satisfied buying Harbor Freight tools, using them a little while until they break or wear out, and replacing them. Then there are those that prefer to get the best tool they can afford and enjoy many years of trouble free service. I guess we know which you are.

Hell, I like a finely crafted Custom Mauser sporter as much as anyone else.

But make NO mistake about it. Other than tradition and aesthetics, they HAVE NO real functional advantage over any currently made rifle from dozens of companies.

Comparing an inexpensive modern rifle such as a Ruger American or a M700 SPS to a Harbor Freight tool is intellectually dishonest.

Apples to Oranges. And, darned offensive to the fine workmen in those plants that build those rifles.

Last edited by freedomguy; 01/22/14.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harbor Freight Tools, Ruger American, Remington 770, H&R Handi Rifle all are cheap tools that get the job done and for the most part do a good job until they are worn out, then are disposable. They were designed to be cheap to produce and a very fair comparison. As far as function goes, I've never seen a bolt handle fall off a M98 or the barrel pressed in with a plastic sleeve.

I do agree with you on the apples to oranges comparison though.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my latest Mauser.

A Higgins (F.N. Belgian) .30-06. It wears a McMillan Classic stock, Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 #4 scope, Talley mounts, Cerakote Tarjec green paint and a Bold trigger. Just a rock solid no nonsence hunting rifle. I like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I simply don't believe that all tools (or other things), regardless of cost, are "equal".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
agreed.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TC1
Here is my latest Mauser.

A Higgins (F.N. Belgian) .30-06. It wears a McMillan Classic stock, Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 #4 scope, Talley mounts, Cerakote Tarjec green paint and a Bold trigger. Just a rock solid no nonsence hunting rifle. I like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

I like it too. Factory safety on it (left side, 2 position)?
My backup plan in the event I am a failure at stockmaking is a good synthetic.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, left side F.N. safety.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.