Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The thing that hurt those scopes the most was losing the Bausch & Lomb name. That separated them from Bushnell as far as most consumers probably were concerned anyway. Funny thing is, and I think Mule Deer even said this as well, was the Bushnell versions actually got better from a glass standpoint.

That may be the case, but my 4X Bausch & Lomb ain't going no where.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was recently sent a new Elite from Bushnell a couple of weeks ago as a replacement for an older scope that was covered by warranty. The Elite sent to me is a 2-7x, one-piece tube, made in Japan. It has fully multi-coated optics and 95% light transmission which is the same as the old 4200's. Before they sent it to me, the Bushnell repair supervisor told me the new Elites were same as the old 4200's. New Elites are argon purged which I think he might of said was even an upgrade from the old 4200's. I'm wanting to sell this scope (unused) if anyone is interested.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK

By comparison, the Japanese made bushnell fusion 1 mile QC is so bad I've seen three pairs and all were three were bad! They must have skipped the Toyota quality assurance seminars

Sounds like they need 100 hours of Kaizen meetings. Oh the agony!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the Elite series is made in Japan. Here is a side to side comparison with the Chinese Limited Edition 3-9x40 and the Japanese 4200 Elite 3-9x40. I wrote this up some time ago, but couldn't find the link on Search. I still have the photos and will post.

IIRC, the Chinese scope was a bit longer and heavier. It had Parallax adjustment. The glass seemed the same to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the glass was the same and the Chinese version just assembled there. The turrets were different, I liked the Chinese version better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/rush2830/BushnellElites007.jpg[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Technoman26
For the most part it's pretty easy to just form the zoom magnification range. 3200's are 3x zoom (3-9, 4-12, 5-15..) and the 4200's are 4x zoom (2.5-10, 4-16, 6-24...).

That's not true. There's a ton of Elite 4200 3-9x40s floating around. All of mine are Japan made. I have a few of them.

He asked about the "newer" model Elite's, perhaps it is true I don't have any experience with the newer models.

You are correct when it comes to the older Elites, alot of 3-9x40mm out there.

Just as an update to my earlier post pertaining to country of manufacture. I emailed Bushnell for the second time and the reply was; it depends on which model scope. Judging by this, it is my opinion that both China and Japan are manufacturing the newer Elites.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A lot of stuff is now manufactured across borders with parts and assembly at various places. The Chinese can make some really good stuff if that's what's ordered. They're also masters of making cheap stuff.

When Jap cars first hit the market after the war, they were cheap tin cans. Now, Toyota makes some of the finest crafted automobiles on the planet. South Korean cars were pretty much the same early on. Now their brands are pushing the premiere builders.

So, my point is, it may become less important where a product is made. The quality will ultimately speak for itself. And each brand will have to be very aware of the perception of the quality of its products. Competition for price point and quality is good for the consumer.

IMHO.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tried to get a couple of pics at different angles to show the saddle area of the scope tube being one piece...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
The thing that hurt those scopes the most was losing the Bausch & Lomb name. That separated them from Bushnell as far as most consumers probably were concerned anyway. Funny thing is, and I think Mule Deer even said this as well, was the Bushnell versions actually got better from a glass standpoint.

My experience with the Elites started with the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 2.5-10x40 back in the mid-90s and the first version with Rainguard, a B&L 4200 that started and ended around he late 90's. I have probably owned close to a dozen of them that included the Bushnell Elite 4200, all in 2.5-10x40. Their only drawback, is the 3.3 inch ER, which for me only became an issue on my 300 WM when I was shooting it this past summer without a hunting weight jacket. I solved that by putting a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 which has 4" of ER throughout the power range.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last one of the vintage Elite..

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY

My experience with the Elites started with the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 2.5-10x40 back in the mid-90s and the first version with Rainguard, a B&L 4200 that started and ended around he late 90's. I have probably owned close to a dozen of them that included the Bushnell Elite 4200, all in 2.5-10x40. Their only drawback, is the 3.3 inch ER, which for me only became an issue on my 300 WM when I was shooting it this past summer without a hunting weight jacket. I solved that by putting a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 which has 4" of ER throughout the power range.

[Linked Image]

What stock is that on the rifle? Looks like a nice open grip.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, I have seen pics of 3200 3-9x40's with all three style of tube/turret housings- one piece, two piece glued, and saddle. But I have only ever seen 4200's come with the one piece tube.

Also, someone mentioned durability. Bushnell claimed that their 3200 scolded were tested to 1,000 rounds of .375 recoil, while they claimed 10,000 rounds for the 4200.

And I believe the 91% and 95% figures are indeed what bushnell advertised.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who cares. Bushnell is an importer. They make NOTHING, never have.

Their scopes have poor eye relief and little internal adjustment compared to most. And no way the 3200 has 91% LT. 88-89% IMO.

And FWIW, the 4200 glass that all the "Bushies" brag about is the SAME glass(without Rainguard) you can buy in a Weaver Classic (made in same plant, or was at least)for less than half the price. I use Butler Creeks. Rainguard would not be a selling point even if I would consider a Bushnell........

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Their scopes have poor eye relief and little internal adjustment compared to most. And no way the 3200 has 91% LT. 88-89% IMO.

And FWIW, the 4200 glass that all the "Bushies" brag about is the SAME glass(without Rainguard) you can buy in a Weaver Classic (made in same plant, or was at least)for less than half the price. I use Butler Creeks. Rainguard would not be a selling point even if I would consider a Bushnell........

the elite 4200 isn't the same glass as the classic weaver, I would say its not even close, if you want to compare it I would say the 3200 would make a better comparison with the classic. just because they are made in the same factory doesn't mean ANYTHING. further the shorter eye relief of the elite scopes makes them better and easier to get behind. maybe not the choice for a 375H&H or some heavy African dangerous game rifle. but still very user friendly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the elite 4200 isn't the same glass as the classic weaver, I would say its not even close, if you want to compare it I would say the 3200 would make a better comparison

And I would say you are WAY off base. You have to be kidding, right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the shorter eye relief of the elite scopes makes them better and easier to get behind.

Wow, really? Very interesting. This is the EXACT reason why I stopped posting in the optics forum for so long and why I have had 3 of the "regulars" here on ignore for years. But I digress............

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no I am not kidding, why do you think optics makers don't just make everything with 5" of eye relief, why do we not all use scout scopes. a scout scope must be a better setup because it has all that eyerelief. have you owned the weaver classic and the elite 4200?? I have owned several of each including 3200's as well. the weaver classis isn't the same glass wise as a 4200, 3200 is a better match. I would say the 4200 is more comparable to the slam series. I am supposed to be getting a brand new super slam tomorrow, I have a brand new 4200 to compare it to, I will post the results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

What stock is that on the rifle? Looks like a nice open grip.

It's the African Plains Rifle from the Custom Shop.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks. Do you know if the stock is the same shape as the CDL? It just looks like a nicer stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

the elite 4200 isn't the same glass as the classic weaver, I would say its not even close, if you want to compare it I would say the 3200 would make a better comparison with the classic. just because they are made in the same factory doesn't mean ANYTHING. further the shorter eye relief of the elite scopes makes them better and easier to get behind. maybe not the choice for a 375H&H or some heavy African dangerous game rifle. but still very user friendly.

Bushnell is an importer, that's correct. Tasco and Weaver (ATK) are all importers. And, I care.

To me the 4200 series is much better than the 3200 series. ER is shorter than some, so my .375 H&H wears a Leupold, not a 4200. But for the cost, it's hard to beat the 4200 series. To me 4200 glass is as good as a VX-2, close to a VX-3. And, to me the VX-2 and VX-3 are pretty close.

I've not seen a Chinese Elite, just the Limited Edition, which is pretty close to the Japanese made Elite 4200.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the added insurance the 4200 provides with regards to durability, over any VX scope's. Do they have shorter ER than some VX's ? Slightly. If I need a scope with 3.5 inches of ER for my 30/06, 280, 270, 25/06, 7-08, 243 etc......does putting a scope with 4+ inches of ER make it a better scope ?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.