Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Snyper
The 260 was a solution to a problem the didn't exist.

If that's true, then it's also true about everything since the '06.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Actually, it's probably true about everything since the .30 Gov't, aka .30-40 Krag. Ballistically comparable to a .308 Win. in a MODERN rifle. If we're arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin... Of course, I sold my .30-06s but still have a pair of .260 Rems and .243 Wins - both provide solutions to my "problems".

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by selmer
I sold my .30-06s but still have a pair of .260 Rems and .243 Wins - both provide solutions to my "problems".

Selmer, care to elaborate a bit on that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not Selmer, but I have a 260 and another on the way. I'm betting his only "problem" that needed to be solved was realizing he can kill anything he hunts with a .260 and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot that an '06 if you're the kind of guy who doesn't measure his yearly output in numbers of 20-round boxes of factory ammo. shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If we are talking elk, the 7mm08 has some intrinsic advantage in that the bullets are bigger. If the question was posed between the .243 and .358, both based on the same case most everyone would agree that the .358 is the better elk round.

I guess I will be the odd guy in that I would unquestionably say the .243 win with VLDs is a better elk round than anything from the .358 win. I will admit a lack of experience with the .358 Win on elk but based on my .243 Win /105gr VLD experience it is hard to see how the .358 Win can be "better".

Pretty sure I would be hesitant to wade into a 600yd elk with the the .358 Win but the .243 Win/105gr VLD is pretty proven at that shot. I have done that and have been there. cool

I have also killed bulls at 100yds with the .243 Win /105gr VLD and can say there is little room for improvement.

and you engage in that activity willingly? Are you sure those are elk your shooting, and not mule deer?

To even suggest the 243 with the fragile VLD bullet is a better deer elk cartridge than the 358 is irresponcible at best. Unlike your 243, the 358 shoots bullets meant for elk hunting and will break any bone encountered. Try putting that VLD though a leg/shoulder bone as the elk quarters to you.

You're telling a guy with tens and tens of kills with the 243 105 VLD on both elk and deer that is irresponsible? Why, because it kills too quickly?

Seriously, how may elk do you shoot in NY?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Savuti
260/Swede = same/same.
7mm08/7x57 = same/same

Both the Swede and 7x57 have been killing moose (and everything smaller) for over a hundred years. Flip a coin.

They are not the same,same if you reload.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
It served it's main purpose though, by selling more rifles and bullets

260 with a 125 gr Partition
.7mm-08 with a 140 Partition

Put a 120 gr Ballistic tip in the 7/08 if you want an equal comparison
Or put a 140 Gr. partition in the 260 to have a fair comparison.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
260 Rem or 7mm-08 flip a coin.

There are some very cool riflemen (routinely making good shots on game) out there that kill regularly with what many (including me) would consider marginal calibers. But probably more important than caliber (if a reasonable caliber is used) is the construction of the bullet.

I, for one, would not recommend marginal calibers for everyone, even if Jack O'Connor or any other shooting expert used it. A friend in AZ was stating that he was proud because he drew blood (did not find the elk cow). He followed the blood trail for a full day. I was ashamed for him - mostly for bragging what he did. Maybe he was a poor shot, but the rifle/bullet he was using was marginal in my opinion. Another example, my brother-in-law shot an elk with a 165 grain Sierra bullet in the lungs - the cartridge 300 Win Mag. He chased that elk for all that day following a lung blood trail. He never found that cow. My guess he might of ruined one lung and the bullet didn't make it to the other. Certainly a 300 Win Mag is more than sufficient for elk.

I'm in my middle 60's and shooting a 338 Win Mag is still my first go-to rifle for elk. But for some the 338 may not be the best. I aim for the opposite shoulder or the heart depending on the angle of the shot and desire the bullet to go all the way through. I like blood trails that are short and I hate to see an elk run down a ravine when I'm the one carrying out the meat, hide and antlers. Maybe when I get old I'll have the luxury to have horses to haul these items out...

I'd say that to each his own. My recommendation is if you can hit a 1/2 size pie plate every time at the maximum range your going to hunt, use the best caliber and bullet combination you can get a hold of. One wasted elk in a life time is one too many.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SoDakota
My recommendation is if you can hit a 1/2 size pie plate every time at the maximum range your going to hunt, use the best caliber and bullet combination you can get a hold of.

That's good advice. I grew up hunting in Florida and still do. We always use a grapefruit as our gauge.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Holes in the right place is what kills. Maybe a 243 is a big enough hole lol

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smokepole, Think you meant to say 6.5x55, it has a longer track record wink

MJ, a 243 thru vitals with a decent bullet is enough, proven. On large game I'd trust a tad more bullet to reach and punch those vitals from all average shot presentations, but would not hesitate any broadside elk to 300 yds with a good 243 load.

Originally Posted by smokepole

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I started with a 308 and that was OK then and probably still is - I doubt that elk are tougher now. But I was young and climbing up and down mountains didn't bother me as much as it does now. I have never felt the recoil of a rifle when I shot at big game - so a 338 is as easy to shoot for me as a 7x57. I am now too over-weight, I have bad knees, and I'm afraid that if I hauled an elk up a steep mountain side it would take more than a day and I might end up in E.R.
Probably the choice of the bullet is more important than the caliber all the way from the 260 to a 375.
I started using Nosler partitions when they were made on screw machines. I still believe that a 260 Nosler partition bullet is better than a 30 caliber Sierra bullet designed for something other than Elk. Nosler partitions never let me down.
Using a varmint caliber though...

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well dammit some one run over to the "What rifles got toted in your elk camp?" thread and tell us how many 243's,260's and 7mm/08's are listed on there...and 358's!

That should give us a hint about how good these cartridges all are... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
That should give us a hint about how good these cartridges all are... smile

Depending on the camp, or course, such a survey might be more of an indication of what Field & Stream has been touting all these years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If we are talking elk, the 7mm08 has some intrinsic advantage in that the bullets are bigger. If the question was posed between the .243 and .358, both based on the same case most everyone would agree that the .358 is the better elk round.

I guess I will be the odd guy in that I would unquestionably say the .243 win with VLDs is a better elk round than anything from the .358 win. I will admit a lack of experience with the .358 Win on elk but based on my .243 Win /105gr VLD experience it is hard to see how the .358 Win can be "better".

Pretty sure I would be hesitant to wade into a 600yd elk with the the .358 Win but the .243 Win/105gr VLD is pretty proven at that shot. I have done that and have been there. cool

I have also killed bulls at 100yds with the .243 Win /105gr VLD and can say there is little room for improvement.

and you engage in that activity willingly? Are you sure those are elk your shooting, and not mule deer?

To even suggest the 243 with the fragile VLD bullet is a better deer elk cartridge than the 358 is irresponcible at best. Unlike your 243, the 358 shoots bullets meant for elk hunting and will break any bone encountered. Try putting that VLD though a leg/shoulder bone as the elk quarters to you.

You're telling a guy with tens and tens of kills with the 243 105 VLD on both elk and deer that is irresponsible? Why, because it kills too quickly?

Seriously, how may elk do you shoot in NY?

and the Native Americans in Canada shoot wolves and polar bears with a .223 also, but that doesn't mean it's a better cartridge than a 30-06 or 300magnum for the job. for someone to claim otherwise shows they are off their meds. Thousands of deer have been killed with a 22LR, but does anyone think that is better than a centerfire for killing of deer?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

and the Native Americans in Canada shoot wolves and polar bears with a .223 also, but that doesn't mean it's a better cartridge than a 30-06 or 300magnum for the job. for someone to claim otherwise shows they are off their meds. Thousands of deer have been killed with a 22LR, but does anyone think that is better than a centerfire for killing of deer?

AMEN BROTHER

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if my Pocket Rocket slingshot will kill a deer?

Maybe if I use Buckshot??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

and the Native Americans in Canada shoot wolves and polar bears with a .223 also, but that doesn't mean it's a better cartridge than a 30-06 or 300magnum for the job.

Dead is dead doesn't matter what the head stamps says.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're all over the place. You didn't say the rifle and cartridge he chooses is suboptimal in your opinion, you said it is irresponsible, and I called you out for your choice of words.

I also asked you to list how many deer and especially elk you have killed and to compare that to John's pile of animals killed with the 243/105 VLD. You are conjecturing, he is presenting evidence.

They are not even close to the same.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter

You're all over the place. You didn't say the rifle and cartridge he chooses is suboptimal in your opinion, you said it is irresponsible, and I called you out for your choice of words.

I also asked you to list how many deer and especially elk you have killed and to compare that to John's pile of animals killed with the 243/105 VLD. You are conjecturing, he is presenting evidence.

They are not even close to the same.

shooting elk at 600yds with cartridges much bigger than the 243 is pushing the limits of good ethics buy many people in the industry, so for someone to say the 243 [a deer cartridge] shooting a fragile bullet is a better killer than a gun DESIGNED to kill elk and other big animals is irresponsible, regardless of success. It promotes bad choices and bad decisions by people who don't have the knowledge or experience killing any big game animal.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done or promoted. To do so is irresponsible regardless of individual results. If he had said he "prefers" the 243 to the 358, that would be different than saying it was better than the 358.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.