S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Engine22
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Personally I believe this entire situation evolves around a bunch of 'youngsters' that didn't have balls enuff to join the military whom are now wishing to 'play sniper' by adopting the MILS system!

Wannabe snipers!

Makes me laugh!!

Nice Bogus post......

But NOT as Bogus as your excuse for using MILS!!

Hey Douche, time for you to move on to a thread where you have something to CONTRIBUTE.

And you need to go fight a fire!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And you need to go fight a fire!!

I do when I'm working, but right now I'm too busy hitting targets using MILS smile Thank you for proving my point and have a great day.

Last edited by Engine22; 01/23/14.

NRA member

Mill Creek Rifle Club member
DeSoto, KS
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

3 rounds are not enough to show where the center of the cone will be. If you don't believe this fire five, 3 round groups on five separate, but identical targets and then overlay all 15 shots. You'll see that your ".5MOA all day long" guns, aren't. Or you can just shoot 10 round groups and it will show the same thing. Doing so (yes, even with normal hunting rifles), will show you what the gun really will do, and it ensures that when we zero we are actually zeroing to the center of the "cone". All rounds fired count. There aren't any "fliers", "pulled shots", or "off days" BS. Those are all excuses for why a gun that we think is .5MOA or whatever, isn't. Guess what- it's not.

Good stuff. Love this part. Thanks for taking the time for the post.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How often do you see a guy plunk down at the range and shoot a sub-MOA ten shot group, particularly with a factory rifle in a larger than varmint cartridge?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I get a kick out of this in the classifieds "10 rounds fired. Half inch rifle".

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by LJB
The expressions shown are approximations not actual equalities. The approximations applicable because the angles are small.

Yes, exactly.

The point is that MILS do not require the shooter to refer to target ranges in meters as many new shooters mistakenly believe. MILS can be used with yards just as well.

RLTW
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lineal measurements and units are irrelevant when talking in terms of angles wink

The same goes for MOA, people just associate inches with MOA, but it doesn't have to be so.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mathman
How often do you see a guy plunk down at the range and shoot a sub-MOA ten shot group, particularly with a factory rifle in a larger than varmint cartridge?

When long range hunting it is the first shot that matters, not the whole 10 shot group . Gunny Sargent Hathcocks rifle in Vietnam was a 2 MOA rifle that he did amazing things with because it is shot number one that is important. .

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, Jeff Cooper said, "A rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots".

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How do you know the one sample you pull from a statistical distribution will go where you want?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're talking about the only shot of the group that matters in hunting; the Cold Bore

You should sight in for your cold bore shot

Yes, good barrels should have the cold bore in the group. Still, making daily trips to the range and firing a single round at a paper target will tell you lots about your rifle and load

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
They're talking about the only shot of the group that matters in hunting; the Cold Bore

You should sight in for your cold bore shot

Yes, good barrels should have the cold bore in the group. Still, making daily trips to the range and firing a single round at a paper target will tell you lots about your rifle and load

I understand about the Cold Bore Shot.

Question: You have a real 2 MOA rifle, and a real 1/2 MOA rifle. Day after day, which one is more likely to place the CBS dead nuts center?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Burns, do you feel that you would be less successful in your long range pursuit utilizing mils?

Yes.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

It works just as well and faster with wind brackets and mils. Using your 264 WM above as an example the wind brackets are 7mph. That means every 100 yards is .1 Mil with a 7mph wind. The math is easy and very quick with just a bit of practice. I taught a buddies 7 year old son how to do it at lunch one day.

I really wish I had more time to address more of your points and will make an effort this weekend if possible but feel this need to be addressed. Sorry for the drive by post.

My .264 Win Mag at my standard density (as I stated in my post) works off a 9 MPH windbracket when using MILs. If you had actually compared your 7 MPH wind bracket with my posted MOA holds you would have seen your mistake.

I can�t help but smile at the irony (a rare instance where that really applies) that I understand MIL windbrackets better than you, yet I choose MOAs.

I find it amusing that some seem to think, even after my explanation of the difference in Military MIL approximations (6400 divisions in a circle) and actual real Milradians, that somehow I just don�t understand MILs.

I get and can use MILs, better than most in the thread. I prefer MOA because it works better, faster and simpler in a hunting optic.

Here are few field pictures of my use of MIL/MIL optics in the field in the past few months. I tend to use and test most everything to keep up on current options.

Feral Pigeon at 370 yds. Leupold MK6 3-18X44 with Horus TREMOR.
[Linked Image]

Coyote at 370yds Leupold MK6 3-18X44 with TMR Reticle.
[Linked Image]

Feel free to hang a picture of you using a MOA reticle/ MOA adjustment optic in the field. My suspicions are you have never actually used an MOA/MOA optic.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Cold bore BS needs to die.

How does the gun know what number shot it's on?

Where in this group is shot #1?

[Linked Image]

How about this one?

[Linked Image]

This one?

[Linked Image]

Or this one?

[Linked Image]

That is every round fired in that gun from load work up with 155's. Coincidentally the shot that is out on the last target was the first round ever fired from that barrel...

How about another gun?

[Linked Image]

?

[Linked Image]

"cold bore/first shot is all that matters" nonsense is said by people who's guns don't shoot as well as they think that it should, so they come up with excuses for every "miss". Put the rifle in a mechanical rest and fire one shot a day for ten days on the same target and you don't get a bullet diameter sized hole. You get a group..... One that looks remarkably like if would've just fired 10 rounds to begin with.

I'm not interested in stroking myself about how I have a ".5 MOA all day long (if I'm feeling good, and the rifle is emotionally ok, and the sun is just right, and I do my part) rifle, and instead care about what size target I can mechanically hit with every round fired. Guess what!? If your rifle is a .5 MOA or 1 MOA, etc gun then on demand that gun will put every single round into a .5 MOA or 1 MOA target. Not some rounds over here and the next group over there.... But every round into that dot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even some 2 MOA rifles will shoot their CBS in the same place every time and that's what jwp is talking about. It's when they go to shooting groups that they open to 2 MOA.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Even some 2 MOA rifles will shoot their CBS in the same place every time and that's what jwp is talking about. It's when they go to shooting groups that they open to 2 MOA.

Exactly.....before an elk hunt several years ago I set up a 12 inch circle gong at 600 yards and fired 1 shot 3 days latter I fired 1 shot 4 days later I fired 1 shot. I then drove to the target a I had 3 cold bore shots in 2 inches. I knew all that I needed to know to go hunting and that is that my CBS would be on the money. Remember that there is no defined aim point on a gong.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Wow. You don't grasp at straws much, do you?

I used SAC for the calc on the 264WM. Didn't and don't care about comparing anything. Sweet so wind brackets work just like the 1/2 distance MOA thing?

I killed more in a single week with this Nightforce 2.5-10x32 HS .25/MOAR than most will kill in a decade.
[Linked Image]

Do tell about all those FFP scopes and spotters available in MOA...?

Looking forward to your review of my post...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Then something is wrong with the gun. What happens when you need to fire a second shot? Or a third?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your cold bore goes where it's supposed to, there's no need for 2nd and 3rd shots.

Have you never tested a rifle/load combo as I've described?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Give me a 1.5 MOA rifle that puts it's CBS to the same point of aim every time over a 1 MOA rifle that puts that first shot "somewhere" in the group.

Mil/Mil works fine, but I would sure as hell rather have everything on a MOA/MOA system. As they become more available, it's just an easier way to go.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,223
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.