Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If your cold bore goes where it's supposed to, there's no need for 2nd and 3rd shots.

Have you never tested a rifle/load combo as I've described?

Was that a serious answer and is this a serious question?

I'm sorry I try not to do this, but I gotta ask, how many big game animals have you killed? Not one person that I have ever met or hunted with that had killed much at all has not had to put more than one round in animals.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Wow. You don't grasp at straws much, do you?

I used SAC for the calc on the 264WM. Didn't and don't care about comparing anything. Sweet so wind brackets work just like the 1/2 distance MOA thing?

Well if working off the 7 MPH or 9MPH drift is as easy as the base 10 MPH drift and if splitting MILs holds into 10th is easy. Wind brackets in MILs is a simply silly method of estimating wind holds. Still it is funny that I understand it better than you, makes me smile.

Do tell about all those FFP scopes and spotters available in MOA...?

Not so much a fan of FFP because I use hunting optics with reasonable zoom ratios. shocked

Spotters with reticles sound real cool until you actually use them hunting. In the Big Boy world of hunting the spotter is employed for, literally, days of looking for every second of spotting shots. Reticles seriously degrade a spotters utility for the number one job of finding game. Not mention there are simply no Alpha Level spotters with a reticle of any type.

As I stated in my post I can very simply see MOA in a spotter without a reticle. There are quite a few members here at the Fire that can attest to the fact that I can call pretty good wind (in MOA or MILs) from my Swaro 65mm HD and my Leupy 60mm HD. You might say I am something of a proven entity. grin

You on the other hand are simply an anonymous internet poster who seems to scared to post under your own name. Care to change that and let us all know who you are?????????????

Pat, John B, Rick, Jordan, John (JWP), Larry, Joshua, Shane, Pete, Jeff, and Tanner have all contributed to this thread. Non have felt the need to hide behind a screen name. How about you open up a little and let us know who we are yappin at??

Here is the country I hunt and how we find bucks. Reticles in the spotter are a major distraction and will cost you bucks, bulls, rams, and boars.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You seem full up on theory but lacking in real world application. Funny thing about experience in that it takes time and is pretty expensive. Of course it is also pretty valuable. blush

ps, I cherry picked those picts with the MK6 because they were right about the same range you had "issues" with an elk this year. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
JB: Just a thought, but the whole "using your real name" thing comes off as a little self-serving, coming from a guy who sells the equipment being discussed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is pretty much a ford chevy type thing IMO. For shooting I feel confident using either MOA or MILs. For ranging I suck with mils, and suck a good bit less with MOA. I know the NPR2 reticle is not that popular here, but I like it. As long as things are MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL its all good.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EddyBo
It is pretty much a ford chevy type thing IMO. For shooting I feel confident using either MOA or MILs. For ranging I suck with mils, and suck a good bit less with MOA. I know the NPR2 reticle is not that popular here, but I like it. As long as things are MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL its all good.

I agree, and I like the NP-R2 more than the NP-R1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ford/Chevy things do tend to make for good reading and long threads.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your cold bore goes where it's supposed to, there's no need for 2nd and 3rd shots.

Have you never tested a rifle/load combo as I've described?

Was that a serious answer and is this a serious question?

I'm sorry I try not to do this, but I gotta ask, how many big game animals have you killed? Not one person that I have ever met or hunted with that had killed much at all has not had to put more than one round in animals.

Se�or formy,

Of course that's a serious question and answer.

I really don't know how many big game animals I've killed cuz I don't keep a tally, but your question made me at least think. Of the 4 Oryx I've killed, I did shoot one twice because it ran 50 more yards and stopped. I did shoot only one of the many mulies I've killed twice. Shot it at 300 with a .243 and it walked 5 feet and stopped so I let him have another. The first shot was lethal. When I was 18 I shot an antelope at 600 yards with a .22-250 that required a finisher. I've never shot an elk or goat more than once.

Seems to me everyone you've met or hunted with needs to improve their first round accuracy.

Maybe if they really knew where it was going or had a clue about calling wind...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All this talk about cold bore accuracy is humorous. Very, very few hunters have ever shot a 10 shot group, or admitted to the results. Even less have tested cold bore accuracy, because it's more inconvenient and time consuming. But, its easy to claim when your rifle shoots a 1.5" three shot group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I killed more in a single week with this Nightforce 2.5-10x32 HS .25/MOAR than most will kill in a decade.

BTW, I have a friend who has the means to be able to hunt when and where he likes. He takes yearly trips to Africa.

His consecutive 1-shot kills now total 52

....and of the 10,000 of these I killed in 5 days, I can think of only 3 that required a second barrel.

[Linked Image]

cool

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
JB: Just a thought, but the whole "using your real name" thing comes off as a little self-serving, coming from a guy who sells the equipment being discussed.

Smoke,

I have to disagree. By being upfront about who I am and what I do anyone can then put my opinions into context. If I were king everyone would have to post under their own name.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Formidilosus

Where do you instruct? Not much info in your signature or profile to evaluate your expertise.

I own my own company. All instructors including myself are military school trained snipers, with special operations and/or high level competition experience. We also all hunt. A lot.

Formidilosus is obviously advertising.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I killed more in a single week with this Nightforce 2.5-10x32 HS .25/MOAR than most will kill in a decade.

BTW, I have a friend who has the means to be able to hunt when and where he likes. He takes yearly trips to Africa.

....and of the 10,000 of these I killed in 5 days, I can think of only 3 that required a second barrel.

[Linked Image]

cool

When you're ready for some lessons with that shotgun let me know.

grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
After attending two Icebreaker shoots I decided to try a MIL system. Actually, I decided to have my son try a MIL system that way if I didn't like it, he was stuck with the POS and not me.

After doing so I have decided to convert all my optics to MILS.

You can end this discussion now.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

cool

Rick,

Just a question, cuz I may be confused here, but is shotgunning doves the same thing as shooting mule deer at 700 yards?

Thanks!

(just ribbing ya!) grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
After attending two Icebreaker shoots I decided to try a MIL system. Actually, I decided to have my son try a MIL system that way if I didn't like it, he was stuck with the POS and not me.

After doing so I have decided to convert all my optics to MILS.

You can end this discussion now.

Travis

You guys are just "wanna be snipers"..............grin!

Last edited by scenarshooter; 01/24/14.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by smokepole

Smoke,

I have to disagree. By being upfront about who I am and what I do anyone can then put my opinions into context. If I were king everyone would have to post under their own name.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Formidilosus

Where do you instruct? Not much info in your signature or profile to evaluate your expertise.

I own my own company. All instructors including myself are military school trained snipers, with special operations and/or high level competition experience. We also all hunt. A lot.

Formidilosus is obviously advertising.

LOL, that's ironic! There's nothing wrong with advertising, right John?! grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

See you guys in April!
Y s are just "wanna be snipers"..............

Bring your freakin' gear this time!

Mini-'flave is no sniper, but he went three for three on some eggs last weekend. First at 200+ and the next two were at 300+.
[Linked Image]

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

If the wind isn't too ridiculous tomorrow we're gonna hit the prairie dog town.

With our ghillie suits of course...

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should be able to get a few 7 yard shots in ghillie suits. Don't forget your dope card. Dialing in the wrong ele and windage will result in everyone knowing that you're not authentic snipers, much to your chagrin...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

As I stated in my post I can very simply see MOA in a spotter without a reticle. There are quite a few members here at the Fire that can attest to the fact that I can call pretty good wind (in MOA or MILs) from my Swaro 65mm HD and my Leupy 60mm HD. You might say I am something of a proven entity. grin

Be honest John... you've also developed simple yet highly sophisticated indicators of wind speed in the field.

Visa Vi..... "The spotter just blew over, and my hat flew off.... lets call it 30 MPH."....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Should be able to get a few 7 yard shots in ghillie suits. Don't forget your dope card. Dialing in the wrong ele and windage will result in everyone knowing that you're not authentic snipers, much to your chagrin...

You'll actually need to dial UP 6.8 mils from your 100 yard zero for that 7 yard shot.

carry on....

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,396
Posts18,527,874
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.