Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

You just ran 7 for 7 on the 600yds steel. 2nd focal plane duplex in a VX6. Good shooters can make most anything work. grin

apparently so can I on occasion...

Funny how that picture makes it look like a gorgeous day....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite is when I forget to dial back after a long shot. Nothing quite as cool as shooting 4 feet over a prairie dog at 100 yards. blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by astralabs
All you have to do is look at Hunter Benchrest shooters who shoot tiny little holes with a mere 6X scope typically fitted with a custom reticle so there is no knob twisting.

Of course anyone that knew anything about Hunter Benchrest would know this is a bunch of horseshit.....

Alan has spoken...

I was trying to stay outta this, but dicklips put me over the edge.... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My favorite is when I forget to dial back after a long shot. Nothing quite as cool as shooting 4 feet over a prairie dog at 100 yards. blush

Or a deer....

I had been checking drops to 400 on a new Ti 30-06, and left the clicks in the scope. Went deer hunting a day or three later and had a chip shot at a hundred or so. Shot and the deer ran anther hundred or so, and stopped quartering away, looking back over her shoulder. Another shot and she folded like a Walmart lawn chair. Got up to her, and I had center punched the neck. WTF?

Next day I had everything loaded to go check the zero, and got the brain storm to check the scope....oops. Just by schithouse luck her vitals were inline with her neck. Mystery solved and a lesson learned.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by smokepole
JB: Just a thought, but the whole "using your real name" thing comes off as a little self-serving, coming from a guy who sells the equipment being discussed.

Smoke,

I have to disagree. By being upfront about who I am and what I do anyone can then put my opinions into context. If I were king everyone would have to post under their own name.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Formidilosus

Where do you instruct? Not much info in your signature or profile to evaluate your expertise.

I own my own company. All instructors including myself are military school trained snipers, with special operations and/or high level competition experience. We also all hunt. A lot.

Formidilosus is obviously advertising.

John, I have to disagree with both. First of all, I put everyone's opinions (on this website) into context the same way. By judging the quality of what they have to say, or as some call it "reading sign." Some guys you can tell in one post are just FOS, some take a while to sort out, and a handful of guys obviously know their stuff, no doubt about it.

I'd put you and scenarshooter in that last category. The fact that he doesn't post under his own name really has no bearing.

A cynic could say, "being up front about who you are" is just a good technique to sell more of what it is you're trying to sell. I'm not saying that, just saying I don't really care who uses their name or not. The fact that you do is just personal opinion or preference.

On the second point, it appears to me that Formidolosus was responding to a direct question with a direct answer, and avoided advertising by keeping the name of his company out of it. The only thing ironic about it is that you labeled it as advertising.

I would agree with this. The fact that Formid takes the time to be helpful and post a long description of what he gets paid to teach people, for free, is nothing more than trying to help out his fellow shooters. He's not advertising his name or company, so it doesn't really benefit him economically. I appreciate a lot of the info he posts.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
I thought I told everybody this discussion was over?

Travis

everyone who's anyone has you on ignore, I just happened to toggle at the wrong time......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I would agree with this. The fact that Formid takes the time to be helpful and post a long description of what he gets paid to teach people, for free, is nothing more than trying to help out his fellow shooters. He's not advertising his name or company, so it doesn't really benefit him economically. I appreciate a lot of the info he posts.

Exactly. I haven't seen Form lead anyone astray. He posts good, practical info, and is a definite asset to the 'Fire, whether some egos choose to acknowledge that or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
somehow I get the feeling that JB knows exactly who formadillo is and is patting himself on the back for pointing out some discrepancies in the teachings. thats why I think he called for him to post his real name.

this I will say I think the tactical community could learn things from people like JB and his equipment although I am not a leupold user anymore. the people at g7 have come out with an RF unit that does alot of cool things, it would be prefect for the tactical crowd but because it didn't come to the market through the right channels its virtually unknown to most of that crowd. imagine if they had paid frank at snipers hide a bunch of money to review and pimp the g7 RF unit over there?? or if george wrote about it over there. once you have been around that group over there you realize its very myopic and group think over there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I thought I told everybody this discussion was over?

Travis

GFY

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It sucks to be an untrained dickhead, don't it?

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Those who do all of their shooting from the couch, never miss.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]On the second point, it appears to me that Formidolosus was responding to a direct question with a direct answer, and avoided advertising by keeping the name of his company out of it. The only thing ironic about it is that you labeled it as advertising. [/quote]

Smokepole is spot on with his assessment of this except I think it smacks of being pompous instead of ironic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
somehow I get the feeling that JB knows exactly who formadillo is and is patting himself on the back for pointing out some discrepancies in the teachings. thats why I think he called for him to post his real name.

this I will say I think the tactical community could learn things from people like JB and his equipment although I am not a leupold user anymore. the people at g7 have come out with an RF unit that does alot of cool things, it would be prefect for the tactical crowd but because it didn't come to the market through the right channels its virtually unknown to most of that crowd. imagine if they had paid frank at snipers hide a bunch of money to review and pimp the g7 RF unit over there?? or if george wrote about it over there. once you have been around that group over there you realize its very myopic and group think over there.

If the g7 would output a solution in mils and meters, it might be better received by those who use mils and meters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Backroads

If the g7 would output a solution in mils and meters, it might be better received by those who use mils and meters.

yeah maybe but its really simpler than that, you enter your load info and this is your baseline, it spits out a corrected yardage according to your baseline. so what most people do is have their turret etched with the baseline on it, G7 automatically gives a firing solution based on the baseline then gives you an adjusted yardage to shoot to. so if the actual distance is 750 yards but your shooting in cold conditions and at lower altitude than the baseline you entered, it spits out a shot to distance of say 780. so you adjust to 780 and shot. no looking at a drop chart, no thinking about MOA or mils at least in the elevation adjustment, wind is another manner. for taking a shot up hill, downhill in the mountains and in all sorts of conditions I can't imagine anything else giving quicker firing solutions is almost like have a spotter in your hand instead of needing to tell you what to do. there is no free lunch with the wind.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
CC, was Pat following group mentality when he switched to mils? He doesnt seem the type. I wonder how many hearts he has stopped at dial and hold off distances?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
^Larry Root^

Ole "Larry The Root" just can't stay away. Why post something when you already know that everybody knows who you are and your post is based on nothing but pure imagination laced with pure B.S. He should bring some of his junk and superior knowledge to a real shoot some day.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You're right, I haven't been shootin' much of late, but I still remember to look at my elevation dial before I find my NPA, just like I still remember the JMPI sequence I learned 30 years ago. Like I said, it sucks to be untrained.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

No, he does not. He tried to "call me out" because he sells a Leupold MOA scope.

I don't use my name because this isn't Facebook and I'm not trying to sell anything. I don't care who John or anyone else is. Either what someone posts is sound or it's not. I don't care about what someone likes in a spotter, nor do I care about shooting winged rats.

For someone to say that the difference in 1/3rd MOA clicks and 1/10th Mil clicks will make them less successful on targets is so ridiculous that even a rank beginner should see through it.

You seem to have some issues fixation with Frank and snipers hide, but we're so far past what the G7 RF does that it's not even on the radar. Competitors will do and buy almost ANYTHING to get a teeny, tiny advantage. If the G7 was the hotness I'd be rolling it instead of a LTLM, PLRF15, etc. that's free. I'm not sure why you need affirmation that your choices or ideas are great? If you want to use MOA, do so. Why do you feel that you need someone to tell you that everyone that uses Mils are wrong?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You're right, I haven't been shootin' much of late, but I still remember to look at my elevation dial before I find my NPA, just like I still remember the JMPI sequence I learned 30 years ago. Like I said, it sucks to be untrained.

That's nice. Like I said, the only guys who don't make mistakes, don't shoot.

Pics? Nah...you're FOS. Off to ignore with you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why don't you just use that method then? Why all the drama?

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 46 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.