Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't know what to make of it yet.........

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
A lot more data there than I need to know. I've an engineer who is a good friend. Maybe he can explain it to me.
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Too much info for me. I just want to know what time it is; I don't need to know how to build a watch.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its interesting, but actually a long read for explaining the correlation between case stretch, bolt loading, and chamber smoothness. Well thought out and documented. The animations were neat.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Don't know what to make of it yet.........

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
A lot more data there than I need to know. I've an engineer who is a good friend. Maybe he can explain it to me. Cheers

Some might find it interesting or relevent, but for most shooters, it's nothing of consequence I'm afraid. crazy Don't sweat the details. Shoot and have fun.

Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Too much info for me. I just want to know what time it is; I don't need to know how to build a watch.

That pretty much sums it up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Al was an Engineer where I work, One of the National Lab's.

He, as most Engineers I have worked with, enjoy's taking everything to the N'th degree.

He lives, and hunts Squirrels, about 35 miles West of me. I and many others enjoy his writings.

Allen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What I found very interesting was the very small variation in bolt-face pressure predicted for all but the unrelaistically smooth chambers. This is exactly what was shown in a recent experiment with pressure-sensitive film in an experiment with various cases, including some that were lubricated.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yea John

I have seen several folks reply that they lightly lube their cases during "fireforming" so that they guarantee the case seats firmly on the boltface before the shoulder is formed, and as many have replied that is a bad idea.

I suspect lube and reduced from full loading might go hand in hand.

Allen

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hope the math is better than the english grammar, in title "effects "should be "affects".
Would wonder how changing taper on the case such as Ackleyimproved cartridges would change results.

Last edited by foogle; 01/18/14.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Al was an Engineer where I work, One of the National Lab's.

He, as most Engineers I have worked with, enjoy's taking everything to the N'th degree.

He lives, and hunts Squirrels, about 35 miles West of me. I and many others enjoy his writings.

Allen

Ah, so you know him then.

I understand the type. smile I was in the military, employed as a wpns technician. I worked for, or around, a gaggle of them. Naturally, they found engineering stuff fascinating...or they wouldn't be engineers. The rest of us left them alone.

We need people to work up the theory - folks that can crunch numbers - but for most of us, what engineers do holds little interest or is dryer than a popcorn fart. Then, as the old joke goes, types like me would make the theory work. Yin and Yang.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My son is a mechanical engineer, their thirst for the answer to any question seems to prevail in all engineers, i don't know if it is inherent or a result of the discipline they study.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"i don't know if it is inherent or a result of the discipline they study."

I know; it's both. No one will go into enginerring unless he's interested in both design and technical things. The learning, and eventual work, absolurely demands abstract analytical thinking and focused attention to details.

Minute details of technical things ARE important, especially when pushing the strength limits of materials. The Morten-Thycol rocket motor engineers warned NASA bureaurcrats that the engine O ring seals might fail because of the slighly cold weather but PR and political concerns over rode engineering and, sure enough, the Apollo craft blew up pretty quickly after the fuse was lit.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a great 66 second video on engineers which explains it well... wink

John

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
High level what his study says -

The more polished a chamber is the more force gets transferred to the bold face.

Also the less friction the more likely the brass will flow and thin the case wall by the head.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.