-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There used to be a Gibsons in Billings. That's where I bought a Chinese SKS for $65 and 500 rounds of ammo for $50 about 15 years ago. My son shot that thing a lot, and I just sold it a year ago for $350. Wish I had the ammo still!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought all my early reloading tools from Gibson's in Sidney MT, back in the 1970s. Lee Loaders, RCBS 505 scale, manuals, powder, bullets, primers. They carried it all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by savage24
There was a Gibson's in Boonville, Missouri in the early 70's. I was too young to remember if there was a gun counter but I still have a steel toy semi truck that came from that store when I was 6 or 7 years old.

I had one of those, too! Sometime back in the early '60s, is when I got it. Dang thing never wore out, either, until Dad ran over it with the tractor or something. I grew up north of Booneville a bit, in Chariton County.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There was one in Lampasas Texas

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had no idea that Gibson's was in so many places and had so many stores.
I'm glad that there's one fairly close to me though. It's always busy and I don't mind paying a tad more for reloading components when I shop there.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is one in Weatherford Texas still.

When i am down there i always go in for a look see.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just gave a box of CCI Stingers I bought at Gibson's back in the '70s, to a 'fire member.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I know that there are some folks in Texas and Oklahoma that remember Gibsons. It was Wal-Mart before there was a Wal-Mart.
They had the best sporting goods department of anywhere and best of all they had guns. Lots of guns.
I used to ride my bicycle there to but fishing lures. I would also gawk at all of the rifles they had.
I have to say,I have fond memories of Gibsons.
And I'm lucky that there is one of the two Gibsons in Kerville. The other one is in Weatherford. The first time I went there was a couple of years before mt Pop died. He was just like me when we went there. We looked at everything in the vast sporting goods department.
I was ar Okie's home a few months ago and he remembers Gibsons like I do. And I had to rub it in a little bit.
For y'all that remember... I give you GIBSONS.

I have purchased lots of fishing gear and ammo from Gibson�s at their location in East Dallas years ago.

I bought my first full case (several of them) of shot shells from the Gibson�s located in Seven Points Texas, close to Cedar Creek Lake.

I miss Gibson�s a lot, and have been explaining to my wife that we will find if there is another and shop there when we find another.

Kerrville and Weatherford may be half and half in the travel circle since we live in Waxahachie Texas. We will make every effort to visit one or the other soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Joel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Bart, I remember them. Good description of them as a WalMart before WalMart. My hometown in SE Texas had one. The last one I saw still open was in Okmulgee, OK, I think it changed hands some time in the 90's. I used to stare at the long guns, and learned there was such a thing as reloading your own ammo..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Used to be one in Desoto when I was growing up.

That's the store that I rode my bike to.
I grew up in DeSoto? It's nothing like it was when I grew up there.

No kidding. Grew up in Lancaster and Desoto in the 70s and 80s. Makes me sad to even go back there, now.

I lived in Red Oak above a Truck Stop while I was working for the Katy down there. I used to eat at a couple of places in Lancaster. There was some place downtown and then all of us used to eat at the Waffle House there at the motel on I-35 after we got done partying at the Club. I almost got shot at the Club and one of my friends got knifed.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I had no idea that Gibson's was in so many places and had so many stores.
I'm glad that there's one fairly close to me though. It's always busy and I don't mind paying a tad more for reloading components when I shop there.
I can remember at least three right around here. Yates Center, Iola and Independence, Kansas all had them. I'm sure they were in lots of these other towns too but I can't recall off the top of my head. The one in Independence closed about 1998, I'd say. The ones around here were in between one of the old, small Walmart's and a Dollar General in size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an RCBS reloading set up at a Gibson's in Valdosta, GA in @ 1970. Still using the press and dies today. Also remember a store in Lawton, OK when I was a kid.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gibson | Gibby | Humm!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember them well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked at Gibsons in Big Spring, Tx back in high school. Several years of the soft goods dept. before I moved up to Automotive and then Sporting Goods. Later on I worked at the Gibsons in Bryan, Tx before it closed in about 1976.

I still have the MEC 600 Jr shotshell reloader Dad bought there in 1968. Cranked out 1000 shells just a few weeks ago!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info Bart, I see a trip to Kerrville in my future.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In the 60s Lufkin and Kingsville had a Gibsons.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had one in Plano as well. Plano was a lot smaller when I lived there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Had one on 6th street (Highway 50) in Emporia Kansas when I was growing up. Bought 2 boxes of 22-250 there for the Rem 700 ADL I bought at OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.). Still have the ammo boxes with the price tags, but sold the rifle many years ago.

Anyone remember OTASCO?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WildWest
We had one in Casper WY. It is the smith grocery store now.

We had one in Rawlins, WY, too.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.