Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK.

Bears get big. Bears have big teeth. Bears have big claws. Bears don't like people poking holes in them.

Starting from the premise that your life is on the line, you go out and buy a 300 Win Mag.

Also...

Black bears are black. Very black. They are almost always shot in very, very poor light. When you combine the lack of distinguishable markings, the light absorbing quality of their coat with the very low light level they are typically shot in, you can easily see the need for a very capable scope. You certainly can't risk not being able to see precisely where you want to put the bullet. Because you are going to be mounting this scope on a 300 Win Mag, which we all know has substantial recoil, that's the perfect prescription for a Euro Alpha scope.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a .22 RF.

You're welcome.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
is a swede enough "more" gun than the roberts?

Oh, yes� yes it is.

Of course, if you fill that "hole" with a Swede, you'll also need to plug the gap between the .243 and the Roberts, ASAP. I'd go ahead and order a 6mm Rem, immediately. wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
oh no! a gap tween the bob and the 243. gonna run right out.

dan- everyone must have a 22. it's like salt, sugar, and spare lightbulbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear when shot don't tend to leave much blood trail. The fat plugs the hole and the thick fur soaks up what does leak out. Therefore, I believe in making as big a hole as possible. Thirty cal, IMO, is a minimum and I like 35 Whelen or 350 Rem Mag or larger.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ODay450
Bear when shot don't tend to leave much blood trail. The fat plugs the hole and the thick fur soaks up what does leak out. Therefore, I believe in making as big a hole as possible. Thirty cal, IMO, is a minimum and I like 35 Whelen or 350 Rem Mag or larger.

please stop mentioning 35 whelen. I have a boat load of rifles, including which is a .350rem mag, but i DON'T have a Whelen. You just don't see them much in arizona. But I want one. And a .358winchester if that makes any sense.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
i have a .243 and .257 roberts. i will very rarely get to hunt deer with a rifle, if i can get out of state.

so i use them for targets, groundhogs, coyotes, etc.

i know i am a looney and i know some of your answers already.

but if i were to hunt black bear or elk...

do i need a bigger gun or will the Bob take care of those with the heavier 25 caliber bullets out there?

I'd go with the (now discontinued) Remington Model Seven in 350 Remington Mag (look for used gun). It is short, handy, powerful and a great addition to any battery.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

please stop mentioning 35 whelen. I have a boat load of rifles, including which is a .350rem mag, but i DON'T have a Whelen. You just don't see them much in arizona. But I want one. And a .358winchester if that makes any sense.

Have one for sale if interested.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's not my favorite cartridge, but based on it's record at war, and in the game fields, every household ought to have a naught six.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
i have a .243 and .257 roberts. i will very rarely get to hunt deer with a rifle, if i can get out of state.

so i use them for targets, groundhogs, coyotes, etc.

i know i am a looney and i know some of your answers already.

but if i were to hunt black bear or elk...

do i need a bigger gun or will the Bob take care of those with the heavier 25 caliber bullets out there?

That Roberts with 120 gr Partitions will indeed work for black bear and elk, but You really NEED a 300 H&H. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
It's not my favorite cartridge, but based on it's record at war, and in the game fields, every household ought to have a naught six.

Yes, having weapons that fire our potential enemy, [.gov's] ammo, is always good thinking.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I've got a 358 Winchester and a 35 Whelen and love them both. I picked up the 358 at Griffin and Howe in New York City in the late �80�s for about $400. It is on an unidentified military Mauser action and the stock and metalwork is first class and appears to have been done by an advanced home gunsmith or lesser known pro � very nice work; it�ll shoot 1-1.25� groups all day.

When I was a kid, I had a great uncle who was the largest Buick dealer in the US at the time. Each year, he�d pack up for a month and take a train to Wyoming for 2 weeks of elk hunting. He had a gun case in his home den that included 5-6 Griffin and Howe custom rifles (on Springfield �03 and Winchester M-70 actions) in (IIRC) 22 Hornet, 257 Roberts, 270 Win., 30-06, 35 Whelen and 300 H&H Mag. He also had 3-4 Colt SSA�s and several Winchester Model 21 shotguns. I was promised one someday, but they rightfully went to his daughter and her sons. Interestingly, he never shot or hunted (other than the annual Wyoming trips during the late �20�s, �30�s, �40�s and early �50�s and he generally ignored the guns. I often wonder where they are now.

When Remington chambered the Model 700 in 35 Whelen, I just had to have one for sentimental sake and haven�t regretted it � it�s a 1.25� group rifle at 100 yards

Lots of memories in these calibers

Last edited by djs; 01/26/14.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
i can't complain. some people have it much worse. they have to deal with having a gap tween their bob and 25-06. shudder.

there is a mark x mauser in 300 win mag in great shape at a local shop for $325. think they'd trade my kidney for it straight up?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
i can't complain. some people have it much worse. they have to deal with having a gap tween their bob and 25-06. shudder.

there is a mark x mauser in 300 win mag in great shape at a local shop for $325. think they'd trade my kidney for it straight up?

How many gallons of alcohol have pumped through the kidneys, will affect value! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That's kinda ironic in that the only '06 I have at the moment is a Garand. I really like shooting that.

As far as household, my daughter has declared the Garand, along with my M94 Winchester, as family heirlooms.....meaning she wants them, but is willing to let me take care of them for now....I intend to keep them from her for a while.. grin

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
djs, i still have the factory box the kidneys came in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A very old friend of mine - now pushing 90 - who worked several years as a game warden, hunted and killed many elk with a 257 Roberts, over many years. I never heard of a failure.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What you don't need is milktoast. Get a 300 H&H, 300 BEE, or a 358 Norma. If any of them come wrapped in a Mauser or Mark V, all the better.

Sean
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All you need now is a good 30-06, some remington corelokts and a golf cart. Problem solved wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

Yes, having weapons that fire our potential enemy, [.gov's] ammo, is always good thinking.

Gunner

I'm with you buddy, if we ever go to war!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.