Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rondo Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just picked up a 75 Sako S/S in 270 and was wondering what the consensus was for the best mounts and rings. I see that Leupold, Burris, Millet, Opti-lock and a few others have some to offer but what is the best using the integral dovetail of the Sako. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Expensive (but sometimes deals can be had), heavy (read: indestructible), some complaints about the screws being a little soft, but my vote everytime is going with the factory Sako Opti-locks. I personally don't think there is a better mount for the factory dovetails - or a better looking one. Again, just my humble opinion.

Besides, Daveh is trying to sell a set of medium height stainless opti-lock rings in the free classifieds as I write this. He is a stand-up guy to do business with, if you are so inclined to pursue it... it is a pretty good price on those.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know Talley makes excellent one and several on this site have bought them and commented that they are great. Most feel they are superior to Sako Optiloks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use either the Sako or Leupold. Did have trouble with one Sako screw breaking off. Otherwise on 6 Sako's no problems of any type. But the Talleys sound interesting.

Long

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Sako Optilocks will match the finish better than anything else and would be an excellent choice. My only complaint with them is the ring screws which tend to be a little soft. After 2 or 3 scope changes the heads will be too buggered up for further use. If you seldom change scopes, then this won't really matter.

Conetrol makes a very nice mount for this rifle also, but I'm not sure they make it in stainless. Personally, though, I wouldn't have a problem putting matte blue mounts on a stainless rifle. I've got a set of these on one of my Sakos and they look really nice. Also, these medium Conetrols that I've got allow me to mount my scope lower than the low Optilocks that I was using previously. I also think the Conetrols grip a scope about as securely as any mount I've ever used. If mounted correctly, a scope is not going to slip in these rings.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot to mention that I've also used Leupold and Millets on Sako 75's. Let me just say that I will never use either of these again on a 75. Furthermore, I will never use Millets again on anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Optiloks work very well, I have used a couple of sets with no problems. Millets are junk, they are still on my Sako 223, but have come loose twice. I currently have Keupolds on my son's 75 and so far so good, but I don't care for the fit versus the base very well.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The optilocks match perfectly fit the dovetail perfectly they are a little higher than most prefer - most scopes fit in lows and they aren't the lightest. You have to be a little carefull with the screws, use the right bit and tap it with a hammer etc, because the screws are a little soft. IMO they are the best overall for Sako's.
The Talley base adaptors don't fit the dovetails all that well and the set screws in them will damage the cross-hatching on the top of the dovetail. They are also a little high and heavy. OK but not as good as optilocks.
Leupolds will slip on heavier recoiling 75's. I would only use them on a 223 or something of the sort.
Some seem to like the Conetrols, I haven't tried them because they are expensive and don't match finishes that well. Might be the best choice for a low scope mount though.
Millets are junk I wouldn't throw them at a curr dog.
Haven't tried Warnes but they might be OK. I think it was CAS who had a pair that was badly mismatched though.
My 2c.........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked the same question here a couple of months ago and from what I gathered, decided to go with the Optilocks. I'm glad I did. I really like the inserts, which resemble the Burris Signature line. They make scope alignment a non-issue and also protect the scope tube from ring marks. As DJ stated they are tall so go with the low or extra low rings for a 40mm objective. Sam

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Opti-Locks should work very well for you. My 75 SS in 25-06 came with a set, but I have to assume that yours did not. Mine is approx. 2 years old, so they must have either changed their protocol or I guess I just got lucky. Mine came straight from Sako as an exhange rifle, maybe they just threw them in. Perhaps owning 4 other Beretta products didn't hurt.

Last edited by magnumb; 05/09/06.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I went with the stainless Optilocks and I was very, very careful with the factory-supplied wrench. Haven't taken the scope off, yet, so I can't say how many times I could do that without having a problem, but so far, the screw heads look good.

- TJM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried a set of Warne on my Sako .308win and they were a disaster..

The integral bases on the Sako are not parallel and acted as "wedges" under recoil forcing the vertically split mounts apart. On two different sets of mounts the screws stripped and the scope was able to move after perhaps 3 or 4 shots...

I switched to Optilocs and have never looked back...

In case anybody has me down as being anti Warne, my CZ550 has Warne QD's and they have worked well...I just wouldn't recommend them for a Sako..

Regards,

Pete

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another vote for the Optilock's.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Rondo Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all of the good info fellas. It looks like I'll be going with the Optilocks. Thanks again.

Rondo

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rondo

Good choice - IMO wirth the extra bucks and they wo'nt give any hassles - just do not overtighten them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,499
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.