Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe Herb Gibson Jr is still in the Dallas area. He has donated to several charities and I believe the sports center at Dallas Christian School is named for him. Herb was a very serious Rimfire BR shooter. I bought my first rimfire BR rifle from him as well as 2 bricks of Eley Tenex. He and his buddy Grant Pickard were able to fly to the matches in Herb's plane.
Herb told me that is was easier to lease all of their buildings, rather running the huge operation that was Gibson's Discount Stores and Gibson's Trade Shows.
Herb was always a very personable man.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/26/14.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dukhntr
Had one on 6th street (Highway 50) in Emporia Kansas when I was growing up. Bought 2 boxes of 22-250 there for the Rem 700 ADL I bought at OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.). Still have the ammo boxes with the price tags, but sold the rifle many years ago.

Anyone remember OTASCO?

Yes. There was an OTASCO in town before there was a Gibson's.(mid '60s) The Gibson's didn't carry firearms or ammo for several years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Was the founder 'Hoot'??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never cared for Hoot's movies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still go in the Gibson's in Weatherford about once a month to check what powder they have in stock.
Little bit of everything in that store.
Owners are in their late 70's. All of their kids work in the store. Hope it keeps on going.
Gibson's owners are a prime example of not seeing the future in the market place. Walmart/k-mart killed them with more modern thinking.

Same as Burgerchef hamburger place. McDonalds killed them plus tough franchise rules.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Of course there was one in Stephenville.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Still go in the Gibson's in Weatherford about once a month to check what powder they have in stock.
Little bit of everything in that store.
Owners are in their late 70's. All of their kids work in the store. Hope it keeps on going.
Gibson's owners are a prime example of not seeing the future in the market place. Walmart/k-mart killed them with more modern thinking.

Same as Burgerchef hamburger place. McDonalds killed them plus tough franchise rules.
use to eat the chit out of those 10 cent burgers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gibsons and Woolworth, great stores back in the day.

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We had a Gibson's in Brady, Texas. I was still fairly young when Wally World opened, and Gibson's closed within a year or two afterwards.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you read a little history, Sam Walton's original business model was Herb Gibson Sr. They were acquaintances and friends in the early days. He divested his interest in Gibson's Discount Stores in 1972. His 2 sons took it over. They divested their interest in Gibsons, but retained the properties that they owned. Senior retained Gibson's Trade Shows. I believe this was the wholesale warehouse the franchise stores bought from. Herb Sr. passed away in 1986 at 85yrs of age.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

It's strange that you say that because there isn't one single negative comment about Gibson's here. And that's strange considering some of the know-it-all fools that post here.
I go to Kerville about three times a month and Gibson's is always busy. I've been there around closing time a couple of times and they always have to run folks out of there.
I guess my point is that sometimes what's old,is new again.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I know that there are some folks in Texas and Oklahoma that remember Gibsons. It was Wal-Mart before there was a Wal-Mart.
They had the best sporting goods department of anywhere and best of all they had guns. Lots of guns.
I used to ride my bicycle there to but fishing lures. I would also gawk at all of the rifles they had.
I have to say,I have fond memories of Gibsons.
And I'm lucky that there is one of the two Gibsons in Kerville. The other one is in Weatherford. The first time I went there was a couple of years before mt Pop died. He was just like me when we went there. We looked at everything in the vast sporting goods department.
I was ar Okie's home a few months ago and he remembers Gibsons like I do. And I had to rub it in a little bit.
For y'all that remember... I give you GIBSONS.
I am gonna come visit ya soon and we are going to Kerrville!!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
I am gonna come visit ya soon and we are going to Kerrville!!!
I knew that this would get you out of your hidey-hole.
I figger that you are gonna need to set aside about three hours in the store. About an hour of that will be getting Teri out of there. grin

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a Pamida-Gibsons in Carlinville, IL in the late '70s to very early '80s. I bought my 870 there and bought a Rem 700 in .243 as a wedding gift for my first wife.

I tried to get that back from her when we divorced. I said I bought it for my wife and if she didn't want to be my wife I should give it to my next wife. She didn't buy that but at least she admitted it was my scope on it and gave that back to me. Mighty white of her.

If you dug through my basement I think you'd still find shotshells and .22 ammo with their price tags. I've been hoarding since before it was cool!

I bought a bunch of fishing gear there too but I'd never be able to identify it nwo - not much into fishing.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've enjoyed reading this thread..

It was a great idea ,Bart.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

It's strange that you say that because there isn't one single negative comment about Gibson's here. And that's strange considering some of the know-it-all fools that post here.
I go to Kerville about three times a month and Gibson's is always busy. I've been there around closing time a couple of times and they always have to run folks out of there.

Agreed. It's kind of like a hardware store plus a drug store plus a gun store minus most of the 300 pound women/"WalMart shoppers". I'm amazed they can have so much stuff in something that is less than 1/4th the size of a Wal-Mart.

S
S
Had one in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Spent many hours and dollars there buying fishing and hunting stuff. They had the best prices on ammo around those parts.

Snowbelt45

Lifetime NRA Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first thought was that I always chose an olive over a pearl onion; then I read the post.

There used to be one over in Tama/Toledo. We always called it "The Hoot Store". It later became a Pamida and is now a ShopKo. When it was Gibsons, I bought a Colt Scout .22 Convertible from them. Got it home and there was no way on Earth that the magnum cylinder would fit. Took it back and they sent it back to Colt. Colt was having some sort of dispute with its workforce at the time and I got it back nine months later, with no word of apology. Didn't hold it against Gibsons, but I certainly have held it against Colt.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

what I said was hindsite. Gibson was the first kid on the block. Butch L seems to have a handle on when what happened.
Glad we have the one up here. When I moved out here was real surprised to see it in Weatherford. Took a long time to get my wife out of that store the first time we went. Reminds me of the one out in West Texas I used to go to.
I do hope that the current owners kids out here in Weatherford keep it going.
I always see this older couple wondering around the store. Didn't know who they were. My wife was in the toy area and this older lady comes up asked if she could help her. Turns out that was one of the owners. Took an hour to get them apart so we could go home. Had to do with a tea set for the grandkid girls.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gibsons and Woolworth, great stores back in the day.

There's some memories. My first real job was a cleaning boy at Woolworth's for $1.25/hr.

And when I was a kid I collected baseball cards. Had to buy them from the penny gum machine. Will never forget the first time in Gibson's in Clute, Texas that I saw cards packed in plastic packages. You could buy about 30 at a time. Got a Willie Mays in that first package after having given up on ever getting on of those.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.