Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj

what I said was hindsite. Gibson was the first kid on the block.

I understand and agree with you.
Another thing is that I think that what the Kerville Gibson's is doing something right. They are always busy and I'm happy to pay just a little more so that they will be there for a long time.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gibsons, woolworths , tg&y, Gaylord's , Wilson's. All but gone when I was a kid.

Dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO Gibson's was already on the way out as Walmart was coming in. K Mart, TG&Y Family Centers, Alco, Woolco...they spelled the death knell of Woolworth's, TG&Y drugstores, Kresge...places like that. Gibson's was kinda in between a drug store/hardware store and the huge discount centers of today. Walmart like, took the concept of those big discount centers and maximized it. Gibson's was never really in Walmart's league as to the size of the store and the variety of the merchandise. I liked Gibson's, but that's my opinion.

I don't really know why they went under though. When it comes down to it, nowadays Dollar General's exist right in the shadow of Walmart's. Gibson's had a bit wider variety than Dollar General, but the concepts are very similar. I guess that the average Walmart has gotten bigger to the point that a smaller store can get the bleed-off.

When I roll up to a Walmart, you can never just park right near the entrance and go in. It's a mile to the door and then another mile back just to grab some pop. Then a big line to get out. Lots of times you can park right near the Dollar General entrance and get in and out with little hassle.

Gibson's were great stores. I miss the ones around here. I don't hate Walmart, but it's good for them to have some competition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to be one in Ada,Ok as well it close and Wally mart moved in back 76,77,78 or so .

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I can remember going to the Gibson's in Columbus, MS with my dad when I was a kid.... Fun times!

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth"
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In Oklahoma we had a lot of Gibson's in 60' and early 70's - Got married in 67 and went to college in Weatherford, OK - got started into reloading with supplies from Gibson's - but it also reminds me of the rummage store across the street that I went into browsing around and low an behold there was a as new 1911(probably from the Burnsflat air base) laying there for $35. I didn't have the money as rent was $35 a month - sure have regretted missing that one.
Sure enjoyed buying items at the Okmulgee store when they were closing it down.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I bought my first bow at the Gibson's in Laurel, MS, somewhere around 1983. I didn't know they were still around. The store buildings in Laurel and Hattiesburg are still there, they've been remodeled into something else.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mule1
Used to be one in Ada,Ok as well it close and Wally mart moved in back 76,77,78 or so .
Originally Posted by mule1

You ever been to Francis, Okla.? Most of my kinfolks were from the area. Some went to Byng.

baokie, My daughter in law got her Pharmacy degree at Southwest Oklahoma State.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was stationed in Sherman, Texas from 1966-1970 in the Air Force & being a starving, married GI I went to work part time at Gibsons, worked there the whole 4 years I was in the service. I was only 21 years old & working in the gun department & learned a lot from those old Texas boys, at first they gave me a lot of grief because I thought I already knew everything (21 years old) but there were some sharp old roosters in Grayson county! One retired sergant major, Moss Cosper kind of took me under his wing & taught me a great deal about guns, reloading, shooting & hunting bullfrogs with a 30/06 (another story) Gibsons was a really neat place & the prices were always the lowest of any sporting goods store. One year we got in 80 of the Marlin 39A 22s, the price was $48 each, yes I bought one. Primers were 67 cents, almost all the bullets were $2.67 per hundred. Great memories of my years working for them, wish they were still there. I also remember Dub Carney of Whitesboro, Texas, he took me fishing, frog gigging, I usually used my recurve bow & deer hunting on his lease at Brownwood, Texas, great times & many fond memories of Gibsons & Texas, later we had 2 kids born there.

Dick

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
At the time that I was at Southwest Oklahoma State it was one of the top Pharmacy schools in the country and for that time a lot of foreign students in the program. I majored in Math and minored in Chemistry - had a lot of classes with the Pharmacy students and friends with many. At the time it was around 6,000 students and I can't believe how cheap that I got thru college back then compared with what it cost today.
I finished high school in Hobart, OK and my mom worked at the Gibsons gas station to get her social security payments in.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
buoght my first new handgun there. Didn't know you had to be 21. Sporting goods manager got another "older" guy to buy it for me.
They'd lock you up and throw away the key now for that..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was thinking there was still one in Kerrville last time I was through.

You confirmed that. Nice to know, they had about anything a person could look for.

Bought a 22-250 and Python when the local one closed.. Cheap. Wish I'd have bought more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Loved Gibsons! Used to go there to buy fishing tackle with my grandfather. Course, I always headed straight for the guns!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There was a Gibsons in Chattanooga, TN also.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Gibson's owners are a prime example of not seeing the future in the market place. Walmart/k-mart killed them with more modern thinking.

It's strange that you say that because there isn't one single negative comment about Gibson's here. And that's strange considering some of the know-it-all fools that post here.
I go to Kerville about three times a month and Gibson's is always busy. I've been there around closing time a couple of times and they always have to run folks out of there.
I guess my point is that sometimes what's old,is new again.

Been in that Gibson's at least a dozen times,it is always busy as far as I have seen.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We've got family that has a ranch south of Kerrville. I have to make a stop at Gibson's every time we go through, usually a couple of times a year. I used to joke with my wife that if Gibson's didn't have it, I probably didn't need it. They carry everything it seems like.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by baokie
At the time that I was at Southwest Oklahoma State it was one of the top Pharmacy schools in the country and for that time a lot of foreign students in the program. I majored in Math and minored in Chemistry - had a lot of classes with the Pharmacy students and friends with many. At the time it was around 6,000 students and I can't believe how cheap that I got thru college back then compared with what it cost today.
I finished high school in Hobart, OK and my mom worked at the Gibsons gas station to get her social security payments in.

I believe my D. I. L. graduated about 6 years ago. She was first an engineer, an Occ. therapist, and a PT later. My Son said it was his turn. He had a masters in Physical Therapy and that for 25 years. They moved to Virginia Beach, Virginia and he got his law degree at Regent University. He wanted to go to a conservative Christian school. They have been in Fayetteville,Ark. the last 2 years.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I grew up in Van Horn, Tx. and we use to drive 88 miles to the Gibson's in Pecos, Tx. In the 6th grade I began working at Vincent Drug everyday after school from 4-6PM and Saturdays from 9AM to 12 Noon. Use to take home a little over $11.00/week. When I saved up enough money my grandfather drove us to Gibson's where I(He) purchased a Winchester Model 94 30-30 for $79.00 Great store, beagan reloading with a Lee Loader purchased in that store for my 30-30.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gibson's on Burnet road in Austin. Norma 7x57, 150 grain ctgs, $4.97 a box! First box in 1972 for my wore out old 1916 Oveido! Deer didn't mind tho!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmm....who recalls Morgan & Lindsey??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,546
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.