Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes! I got an inheritance 73 years ago from Mom/Dad; my birth! They taught me and my two brothers how to pay attention to the important things and that if we worked our azzes off we'd do well....which we have! Things that the 'entitlement generation' feels should be free!!

A Pox on 'em all!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well.... My kids have already received a portion of their inheritance. We've given each child a substance endowment.

As for what my parents leave me ? I know what they have, but I'm not looking forward to that date- Hope to have them around for many more years.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The way I look at it, I have already received my inheritance, what my Dad taught me from the time I was a young lad until he died in 2004. He taught me a set of values that have served me well throughout my life. Much more valuable than any material things he could have left behind. He was not a wealthy man but he was a wise man. I give thanks for that every day. I hope my son will feel the same way about me when I am gone.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 01/27/14.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting topic.
I don't honestly know. No one ever talked about money in my family growing up. My parents have been quite successful and my brothers and I both have jobs and are self sufficient. I felt like I grew up middle class to upper middle class, but I grew up in an expensive suburban town, so no doubt it was probably above average. I do expect to have a solid retirement from my own earnings and investments. My parents tried to instill a low debt lifestyle in us, and wanted us to graduate college without the burden of a student loan debt that so many have. I would like to be able to at least do that for my future children, but hopefully more.

My Dad came from literally nothing, but my mother is a different story. His Dad died while living in an nonrunning RV at a truck stop in the California desert. My mom was successful in her own right, but I never paid attention to what she came from until more recently. As I opened my eyes to the lifestyle that she was blessed with as a child, the more I realized might be in her parent's estate. Just in the last year or so, I heard a story of my grandfather losing millions (of Finnmarks? Dollars? Deutsch marks? I don't know, these aren't the kinds of follow up questions that you ask in my family) in the late 50s or early 60s during his failed attempt to build a shipping company like his wife's family (my grandmother's family helped to start one in 1897 that is still in existence, although not in its original form). I do know that my grandfather's inheritance from his adopted mother, and therefore his consequent illegal adoption was part of 4 nation dispute. Recently, I've learned of his real mother's adoption of another woman and her family, but saw letters that pretty well spelled out that he would be getting her money, while this other woman would inherit her apartment in Vienna. The family that my great-grandmother adopted is from a line of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Castell-Rudenhausen and the von Auerspergs (look em up). My great grandmother was of more minor nobility, but still fascinating to me nevertheless. Does that mean those individuals were rich? I don't know. Other interesting historical factoids that my grandmother has shared with me from the businesses of her and my grandfather's colorful life has certainly hinted at that the fact they were never lacking and did well even after this shipping debacle.
So, as I've dug into their family history, I can't help but wonder, what, if anything is there that my brothers and I may inherit. Like I said, none of us need money, but I'm very curious what there is, and not just in terms of cash. I've seen some pretty priceless antique heirlooms, some of which my grandmother has already given me or my brothers (but mostly me, though my older brother did lose my grandfather's signet ring).
My grandfather died 2 years ago. My grandmother is 87. Will it all go to my mother? I don't know, and I don't dare ask, it doesn't seem like appropriate table talk. I don't think my mother knew or appreciated the history of successful businessmen that she came from until very recently, so these obviously weren't conversations she had with her parents either.

My fiance's grandfather is 92. I know he has something like 1600 acres of farm land in western Kansas that seems to provide the trustees in her family with some nice income. But once again, she doesn't know if there is anything specifically for her or just her Dad and Aunt.

So, my point is, I'm not going to lie, I do think about it. I'm not ashamed of it, but I do try to hide that history and don't bring it up in conversation because of what other people might infer from it. The anonymity of the internet allows me to feel more comfortable talking about it than with friends and coworkers. I dang sure am not counting on an inheritance and will continue to try to live a lifestyle that shouldn't ever need it. But, like I said, I wonder what's there. Is that wrong?

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/28/14.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A recommendation for you all is not to leave land to multiple people. spell out how it should be divided.

Here is what happened to my dad a few years ago.. Seems that my dads great aunt passed and left some property to my father and his brother and sister. 140 acres in east Texas with a small house. The house was being rented to the pastor of the church just up the road. Rent was barely enough to pay the taxes and all were fine with that.

Three years go by, and the pastor gets moved to another church. Dad's brother calls him and says he has found a buyer for the property and wants to sell all for 90K. Dad says that's too cheap and would rather sit on it for a few more years. Brother says "you have no right to keep me from my inheritance!".
Well, my dad ends up buying him out and sends him a check for his third. Has documents drawn up and sends a check for 30K. Brother cashes check and does not sign or return documents.

So I'm at the house one day and mom and dad are arguing and I find out about this. "Have never liked this uncle much anyway". So I tell dad that since I'll be travelling over there soon, that I would be happy to drop by his brother's and pickup either a signature or the money back. Or I could let his brother find out what a 30K ride in an ambulance feels like.

Brother signs immediately and all is well for a few years. Dad sell timber and splits w/sister, then they find a buyer. Sell the land for 185K, dad gets 2/3 and sis gets 1/3. The brother has the nerve to call up my dad and tell him "I think you screwed me over on that land deal" Wants more. I don't know what happened. He aint sayin...
John

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Nothing shows a persons true colors like a custody dispute or a probate dispute. Ask any lawyer.
Many people with "loving" siblings who think things will go smoothly after the parents' demise are in for a big surprise.

A proper trust makes for smooth sailing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My parents will pass soon and I suspect will leave me a portion of their savings. It will all be used to get the kids independent and grown up. Mostly college or some type of training. Not part of the retirement plans. I will get by but am focused on providing and supporting my kids .....I guess it's my legacy to them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interesting to read how so many posts did not address the OP's question, at all. Like folks wishing that those smartly invested in the stock market should fail. Peculiar.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Interesting topic.
I don't honestly know. No one ever talked about money in my family growing up. My parents have been quite successful and my brothers and I both have jobs and are self sufficient. I felt like I grew up middle class to upper middle class, but I grew up in an expensive suburban town, so no doubt it was probably above average. I do expect to have a solid retirement from my own earnings and investments. My parents tried to instill a low debt lifestyle in us, and wanted us to graduate college without the burden of a student loan debt that so many have. I would like to be able to at least do that for my future children, but hopefully more.

My Dad came from literally nothing, but my mother is a different story. His Dad died while living in an nonrunning RV at a truck stop in the California desert. My mom was successful in her own right, but I never paid attention to what she came from until more recently. As I opened my eyes to the lifestyle that she was blessed with as a child, the more I realized might be in her parent's estate. Just in the last year or so, I heard a story of my grandfather losing millions (of Finnmarks? Dollars? Deutsch marks? I don't know, these aren't the kinds of follow up questions that you ask in my family) in the late 50s or early 60s during his failed attempt to build a shipping company like his wife's family (my grandmother's family helped to start one in 1897 that is still in existence, although not in its original form). I do know that my grandfather's inheritance from his adopted mother, and therefore his consequent illegal adoption was part of 4 nation dispute. Recently, I've learned of his real mother's adoption of another woman and her family, but saw letters that pretty well spelled out that he would be getting her money, while this other woman would inherit her apartment in Vienna. The family that my great-grandmother adopted is from a line of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Castell-Rudenhausen and the von Auerspergs (look em up). My great grandmother was of more minor nobility, but still fascinating to me nevertheless. Does that mean those individuals were rich? I don't know. Other interesting historical factoids that my grandmother has shared with me from the businesses of her and my grandfather's colorful life has certainly hinted at that the fact they were never lacking and did well even after this shipping debacle.
So, as I've dug into their family history, I can't help but wonder, what, if anything is there that my brothers and I may inherit. Like I said, none of us need money, but I'm very curious what there is, and not just in terms of cash. I've seen some pretty priceless antique heirlooms, some of which my grandmother has already given me or my brothers (but mostly me, though my older brother did lose my grandfather's signet ring).
My grandfather died 2 years ago. My grandmother is 87. Will it all go to my mother? I don't know, and I don't dare ask, it doesn't seem like appropriate table talk. I don't think my mother knew or appreciated the history of successful businessmen that she came from until very recently, so these obviously weren't conversations she had with her parents either.

My fiance's grandfather is 92. I know he has something like 1600 acres of farm land in western Kansas that seems to provide the trustees in her family with some nice income. But once again, she doesn't know if there is anything specifically for her or just her Dad and Aunt.

So, my point is, I'm not going to lie, I do think about it. I'm not ashamed of it, but I do try to hide that history and don't bring it up in conversation because of what other people might infer from it. The anonymity of the internet allows me to feel more comfortable talking about it than with friends and coworkers. I dang sure am not counting on an inheritance and will continue to try to live a lifestyle that shouldn't ever need it. But, like I said, I wonder what's there. Is that wrong?

That is an interesting story. To answer your question, IMO, there is nothing wrong with privately wondering if one might receive an inheritance.

The thrust of my original question was this: if one is sure he is going to get an inheritance, would one be willing to openly admit it and then tell us what he was going to do with the inheritance (ie. spend it on himself, rely on it for retirement funding, pass it along to his kids, or grandkids, or a mixture of these options.)

Many who have responded have made it clear they are counting on their own investments and savings for retirement, but that was not really the jist of my question. Many responded that they knew they were not going to get anything, or if they did, they weren't "counting on it" as a golden parachute into retirement.

Both my father and mother are dead, but my stepmother is still alive (84) and she has mentioned to me that when she passes everything will be divided equally among seven children. (My oldest brother, divorced and never re-married, passed three years ago and has a living daughter, so I assume she will get her dad's share.) My dad made me the the executor of the estate, but when he died 11 years ago, my step mom made her oldest daughter executor (it is a living trust.) We just don't talk about it. I am curious though to get an idea of what may be in there. My sister-in-law is a CPA and she did my step mom's taxes one year, so she knows, but I dare not pry. It just seems like it is none of my business.

I am really concerned about the future of my children and grandchildren however. With the way the commies are taking over and the lack of a work ethic amongst a majority of the population, I feel like me and the little wifey should plan on living a very simple life, and try to leave as much as possible to the kids and grandkids, including everything my father/step mother may have accumulated in their estate that may pass to me.

My wife's folks are both long dead, and they had no savings or property of value.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Nothing shows a persons true colors like a custody dispute or a probate dispute. Ask any lawyer.
Many people with "loving" siblings who think things will go smoothly after the parents' demise are in for a big surprise.

Depends on the Trustee. Good ones are hard to find and corporate trustees can be horrid.
Look out for the first heir that says "... but Mom wanted me to have this."

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Interesting to read how so many posts did not address the OP's question, at all. Like folks wishing that those smartly invested in the stock market should fail. Peculiar.

I answered it. I have no kids so I really don't have to worry about the children of my children.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I do think about it from time to time, but I don't dwell on it.

My parents are still alive. They are doing very well - it is just me and my sister (whom i don't speak to, she is first born). I have made it perfectly clear to them that you lose the game of life if you die with money left unspent, though they have already set up a trust for my children's college education (their only grandchildren) - this was important to them. My parents have provided me with a solid education, and paid for college so I did not have any debt when I entered the work force. I am entirely grateful for that. After college, I have not received any financial assistance from anyone, and don't expect to. I will do the same for my kids, and hopefully my grandchildren.

My wife has not talked to her parents in 8 years. In fact, only 1 of her 6 siblings talks to them. She had a horrible childhood. Doubt she will be left anything, and we don't want it either.

When my grandparents died, they left my mom and her two sisters about 1/2 million each. I have three cousins on that side of the family that were pissed off they were excluded from the will. It boggles my mind. Aunts, uncles, and cousins went to their house to go through the stuff. My aunt asked me if I wanted their dishes, which my wife (fiance at the time) gladly accepted. We use them to this day. The only thing I asked my aunt that I could have was an old Case pocket knife that I found, for a keepsake. I keep it with me on my back country hunts as a reminder of my grandfather, who was a simple, but great man.

My dad is 57 years old, and already retired. He had a 68' corvette in high school and still talks about that car from time to time. I hope that I can soon afford to buy him that exact same corvette.

With all this said, when I retire, anything I have left will be left to the people that mean the most to me in my life. I have three children from 3 to 11. At this time, they will get everything. However, I have seen my parent's friends leave their entire estate to their children who are horrible people, or have not been a part of their lives for years. For some reason, I do not foresee me doing that if that was my case.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EdM

I'll let you know, I'm on 3 weeks now.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in my late 70's so I have already seen both sides of the inheritance game. Have seen where several brothers (most unmarried) tried to decide their sister shouldn't be entitled to any of their mothers estate because "she's married and doesn't need it!

I had a small inheritance from my mother (much to my fathers chagrin.) That was 30 years ago. My father wasn't worth talking about.

Seven years ago my brother and I each got a substantial inheritance from an aunt who had no children. I was aware of the contents of her will prior to her death because I was her financial guardian. In seven years neither my wife or I have spent one cent of that inheritance. We are able to live quite well on what we personally acquired and saved over our working lives.

We have two daughters who are constantly telling us to travel or do something to use our money. Their attitude is worth more to us than money.

The one thing the inheritance did do for us was to provide us with a feeling of comfort in knowing that should we ever require nursing home or other aid (so we don't burden the children) there is money available to pay for it ourselves.

To answer the original question I don't think it is wrong under some circumstances to expect an inheritance but no one should plan their retirement based on receiving one. I think there is an old saying which roughly states that the first generation creates wealth, the second generation conserves it and the third generation spends it. Fortunately I will not be around to find out.

Jim

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 13 invisible), 4,161 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.