Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a lefty and all of my holsters are LH. The problem is it's tough to draw left handed when in a vehicle when the threat is likely to come from the left side. I'm going to get a RH holster just to wear when I'm driving. I've considered a crossdraw belly band. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between the seat and console.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once I get to removing the gun from the principal holster and putting it somewhere else in the vehicle, I am setting myself up for getting out the car and forgetting the gun. If the gun is not too big to fit in an ankle rig, I would suggest wearing an ankle holster in addition to the belt holster, so that the gun can be transferred to the ankle for the car trip. Ankle holsters are great for discreetly drawing using either hand when seated in a vehicle. I have been known to do that with pocket guns for the same reason as the OP. If I forget to move the gun when I exit the vehicle, I still have it, even if it is not in the ideal location.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Never though of an ankle holster. My main carry is an XDs but I've got an LCR that would work well on the ankle.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a cross draw OWB holster for driving. Rather have the gun on me, not on the seat or some other place in the car.

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RWL99
I'm a lefty and all of my holsters are LH. The problem is it's tough to draw left handed when in a vehicle when the threat is likely to come from the left side.
Not sure it's any different to draw the firearm from either side, it's the presentation of the firearm via LH that can be a pita.. It's why most of us practice off-hand use, just in case..

The holster I usually use in a vehicle is a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit for my Kahr P-9. It can be obtained in LH or RH configuration, obviously, and might fit the bill for your concerns..

http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

Last edited by Redneck; 01/27/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Grand idea. Only problem with it that I would anticipate is that once one begins operating on automatic, as most of us do most of the time, the likelihood is great that upon exiting the car one will tend to leave his carry piece in said holster, forgetting to transfer it to his belt holster, and there it would remain while he was inside the store unarmed and his sidearm is in plain view in his car.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Once I get to removing the gun from the principal holster and putting it somewhere else in the vehicle, I am setting myself up for getting out the car and forgetting the gun.
Wow! We had exactly the same thought. GMTA.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
this is the primary reason I have an agreement with my wife re: she drives when at all practical.

that said, a 10:00 IWB works well and in a pinch can be drawn RH if your LH is up and covering.

I'd be leery of an ankle holster -- that's a lonngggg draw around the steering column if you didn't have any advance warning!

R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the ideas guys. I ordered a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express in RH for my .45 XDs,it can also be worn as a cross draw.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

In some states, even with CPL off-body carry in a vehicle is illegal.

Cross-draw and ankle on off-side are good options.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

In some states, even with CPL off-body carry in a vehicle is illegal.

Cross-draw and ankle on off-side are good options.

Some states are stupid. But if you think it's going to get you thrown in jail....... Then don't do it. Duh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Grand idea.

Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're prone to forgetting where your gun is then you probably shouldn't take it off of your body. Again, duh.

For me it's all situational.

If I'm running errands around town, I just keep my pistol on me. But if I'm on a road trip and only making pitstops every four or five hours, I dang sure ain't gonna wear a pistol in a holster making me uncomfortable the whole time. I feel pretty safe from a carjacking doing 80 miles an hour down the interstate.

There have been a few times when I had someone outside my car door that I thought I might have to kill before the conversation was over. Most of those times, the pistol was in my hand, muzzle down down, between my legs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you don't want to wear your gun, then don't. Duh. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Comp-Tac Infidel.

Or, LCR in pocket.

If driving, best believe that mofo is on the floorboard or between seat and the center.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Both my trucks that I use for everyday have console mounts. These are right by my right knee. A cheap Uncle Mike can easily be mounted to the console or trans hump.

As to forgetting? Dude! Its a gun, not a pack of gum. The mindset should never let you be separated from your weapon.

I would be more likely to leave my keys in the truck than my pistol.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Left side cross-draw OWB.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Grand idea. Only problem with it that I would anticipate is that once one begins operating on automatic, as most of us do most of the time, the likelihood is great that upon exiting the car one will tend to leave his carry piece in said holster, forgetting to transfer it to his belt holster, and there it would remain while he was inside the store unarmed and his sidearm is in plain view in his car.

You wouldn't expect a cop to actually have a plan, and a clue, would you?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If I'm running errands around town, I just keep my pistol on me. But if I'm on a road trip and only making pitstops every four or five hours, I dang sure ain't gonna wear a pistol in a holster making me uncomfortable the whole time.

Biatches say Midol helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.