Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rabid,

It seems noone has a card reader with 'em,but I'll try to finger sumptin' out. There has been a purty good Storm brewing with windchills in the -60 realm and mebbe that got 'em moving around a bit and they'll crowd closer.

Mils is for steering boolits...not "measuring" distances anyhow.

pointer,

Go fixed and never look back.

Hint.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Rabid,

It seems noone has a card reader with 'em,but I'll try to finger sumptin' out. There has been a purty good Storm brewing with windchills in the -60 realm and mebbe that got 'em moving around a bit and they'll crowd closer.

Mils is for steering boolits...not "measuring" distances anyhow.

pointer,

Go fixed and never look back.

Hint.
I'm guessing for hunting you'd suggest a Leupold over a SS, correct?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Larry

I'm thinking Remington 541-X .22LR with 10X SS for 200 yard matches.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

6x

[Linked Image]

9x

[Linked Image]

Trees are around 900-1,000 yards away and pics are taken through two planes of glass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

That is much better.

I can see those well enough to give that a try.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Received a 3-9x42 with mil-dot reticle today. So far I've mounted it up and peeked through it out the windows of the house, and the scope really impresses me! The turrets, adjustments, glass, and fit/finish are all fantastic for a scope in this price range. Very excited to put it through the paces!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
pointer,

Lotsa Leupold's suck and especially for Killing...but that can be said of ANY Maker. The Fixed [bleep] gotta alotta things right,but the reticle isn't gonna be as nearly forgiving as many,for heavy cover and low light. That mainly because it ain't designed to do them thangs.

Is there Leupold glass/reticles in which I've much faith?

Oh yesssssssss.(grin)

Rabid,

I believe you will be tickled and then some,as that melding is a Good 'Un.

Scored a card reader today and will hang pics,mebbe tomorrow night,of the MilQuad at various distances(Fox's face at 11 Mils and a MuskOx at .2 Mils).

If only for conversation.

Jordan,

I assume that's the glass we yacked about?

How much "up" in total travel,do it house?

Spill your guts after the dust settles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Form- Thanks for the pictures! Too bad it only muddies the waters for me...as I think I could make that work.

Boxer- I think I'm reading between the lines well enough! wink Thanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a SD card failure and seem to have lost pics. Will try again tomorrow and see WTF.

Duplex lines is the easiest to read between.(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, that's the one.

Took it out for a little play time today, despite the gale force winds. Had several rigs out for the fun, but it was definitely a .625 kind of day *grin*

The scope seems pretty happy to ride on top of the Montucky 7WSM, balancing the whole rig quite nicely. Steering 162's through the gusts was especially entertaining, given the fine crosshair and the bold posts of the mil-dot reticle. I'm liking the glass and the reticle so far. I think this reticle may be a great compromise between a LR shooting tool and something that rides on a utility hunting rig. The turrets are very solid and repeatable, though to be fair one still needs to measure each scope's tracking, even if it is a SWFA SS, as this scope moved POI up 3.045 MIL at 101 meters (30.8 cm) when 2.9 MIL was dialed in, making for a 5% greater shift than expected. It's no problem to account for such things, as long as a guy knows what he's got. Repeatability and RTZ was flawless throughout the day while going back and forth from 101m, 501m, 595m, and 704m. Total elevation range in the erector assy is 23.3 MIL, with 13.3 MIL usable from a 101m zero, while riding in Talley LW's. Glass is crisp, and fit and finish is excellent, especially for a scope in this price range.

Time will tell if the scope continues to impress, but things are looking good so far.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As I've mentioned prior,I take the adjustment "values" of all glass with a grain of salt. I gun 100yd paper in good conditions,to establish how things track and what the values are in actuality...instead of proposed. From there,I'm looking for lineal shifts through the erectors travel and a return to zero,with bigggggggg input shifts between pokes.

That don't take long and the warm/fuzzy is either immediate or never. Hint.

On a variable,I gun on different powers...to see how much things move around with zoom selector shift. There's lotsa reasons why I LOVE fixed glass.

I'm averaging better than 23 Mils of useable on the Fixxed [bleep],aboard mounting systems without inclination. The tilted schit,really reaches and then there's always 10 Mils on the reticle for frosting.

Disappointed that I lost them images,as it's intellesting to let the Subtension Crowd suffer in their range "finding".(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, hitting the upper and lower erector stops a few times between shots makes for a good test of the scope's tracking integrity.

Regarding the variable vs. fixed- I'll take what I can get. But if I'm rolling a variable with a marked reticle of some sort, it's gonna be FFP.

23 MIL useable is a lot of friggin "up", but 13.3 will get me to 1430 meters at my locale, sans reticle. Another 5 MIL in the reticle will go beyond a mile. Plenty far for 9x glass on a Montana. If I had 23 MIL it'd take me to 1860 meters, and another 10 would get to 2175m. That's 2378 yards, which is a bloody long ways off grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll admit that it caught me slightly off guard tonight when I compared the SS 3-9, set on 6x, side by side with the FX3 6x42. The optics in the SS were brighter and had better resolution, while the Leup LRD showed up slightly better than the SS mil-dot against dark backgrounds, a little beyond twilight. The mil-dot was still useable, but not as bold as the LRD, which makes sense since it is a much finer crosshair.

The surprising thing is that while observing out of the window with the SS, I could clearly see a plane passing up high, with its safety lights flickering every second or so. When I watched the same plane with the FX3, I couldn't make out the plane itself, but I could see the lights flicker, and was able to track the plane that way.

I thought the optics in the SS would pale next to the FX3, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Coupla scenes from today...as Fixed [bleep] reticles go,if only for conversation.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had 19 MuskOx on another camera and will load 'em later.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks to be your scope is crooked.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Prolly needed a 3rd hand,to keep things straight...though it were a beautiful day and hovering around right at 0 with modest wind. Have had a buncha 35mph+ winds and cold ambient temps(-45).

Odd that noone is espousing range "determinations".(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
just having fun with/u

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I thought the optics in the SS would pale next to the FX3, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

The 3-9, to me, is a step up optically from the SWFA fixed scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's pretty impressive optically, that's for sure, but it's also double the price of the 6x and 10x fixed scopes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did you get any word about the 3-9 zero stops? I'm interested in a set as well, but last time I looked the fellow was not yet set up for them.

Also, you might want to check out the AAD scope covers. A buddy recently picked up a set. While expensive, they are absolutely great thus far. I'll likely buy some and give them a test. They look really well built, especially compared to Butler Creeks, which have absolutely gone to schit.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,829
Posts18,516,877
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.