Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Hotload

really hard to say where you hear more BS...
gun stores or used car lots.

Or the Campfire...

madTry standing in the gallery of the NYS Legislature when they are "working"! mad

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What I love is when you are in a gun store and you hear people both buying and selling telling how accurate thier rifle is. Examples that I have heard or seen

Open sighted 30-30 10 shots under the size of a dime at 100 yards

I have hit a fly with this gun at 50 yards. Bolt action single shot stevens 22 with a Tasco 4x scope

Last edited by andrews1958; 01/27/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or the Campfire...

So you can't believe everything you read on the 24CF ? I'm shocked shocked

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or the Campfire...

So you can't believe everything you read on the 24CF ? I'm shocked shocked

I don't believe that!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw two guys at walmart looking for ammo for a 300 Win Mag

All they had was 30WSM, and the clerk told him it's just like the win mag, just shorter, so it should be able to fit, and would probably kick less, since its shorter.

I had to intervene.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barry will be teaching a class in great BS tomorrow night.

Last edited by Hotload; 01/27/14.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys take this sort of thing hard...

really hard

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
Saw two guys at walmart looking for ammo for a 300 Win Mag

All they had was 30WSM, and the clerk told him it's just like the win mag, just shorter, so it should be able to fit, and would probably kick less, since its shorter.

I had to intervene.

LMAO

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My cousin once told me that a 3006 is faster than a 308 at muzzle but the 308 catches up and is faster at long range; he had the book that showed it too.

I mentioned different bullets having different b.c.'s to a blank look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at a shop the other day, and three times in a row when the salesperson opened the case to show me a firearm, he handed it to me without opening the action and checking the firearm.

There's stupid and then their's RFS (Really F'in stupid.) The third time, I finally couldn't take it and said, "You know my friend, if you will control that muzzle and check that firearm for ammunition before you hand it to someone, then nobody will get negligently shot."

Of course, he said that none of the guns are ever loaded.

"Assume they are loaded", I said, "and then always present the firearm with the action open so the person you are handing it to can also inspect it. Christ son, you don't get a second chance on this."

He actually seemed to appreciate it afterwards, so hopefully he takes it to heart.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Well, quite a few of the crew right here on this very same forum talk about their rifles as being "tack drivers."

You ever try that? smirk

Yep but it is not hard to shoot the thumtacks holding targets through the backer board, flys are much more challenging. I suspect trying to drive a nail into wood may be a little more challenging.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by htredneck
Spend the week before deer season in any gun store.
You will see and hear things - on both sides of the counter - that will make you scared to ever set foot in the woods again.

ain't that the truth....

my other favorite thing to go and see is when the local range here is the most busiest... most folks would think it was the night before deer or elk season opens...and the last minute guys checking last years zero....

at ours, it is the Sunday night at the end of the first weekend... every bozo who shot at something and missed it, is blaming it on his rifle, his ammo, his scope etc, everything except himself...

they'll be out there blazing away with five different boxes of ammo, from different companies and different bullet weights...

I love the humor, and also how much brass is left laying around or thrown in the trash can...nothing unusual to go over and pick up 150 to 200 pieces of brass.. in the normal hunting calibers....243, 06, 270, 7 Mag are the most common.....

You ought to see a gun range in the Texas Hill Country about noon on opening day of deer season. All the sports are there blaming their rifles for their horrendous shooting. It is fun to just sit and watch. Truly a "cluster" with a capital F. It beats the San Antonio Zoo any day for strange sights!

I've been to a public gun range ONCE in my life. Glad I"ve never been since. And that was probalby 25 years ago.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I was at a shop the other day, and three times in a row when the salesperson opened the case to show me a firearm, he handed it to me without opening the action and checking the firearm.

There's stupid and then their's RFS (Really F'in stupid.) The third time, I finally couldn't take it and said, "You know my friend, if you will control that muzzle and check that firearm for ammunition before you hand it to someone, then nobody will get negligently shot."

Of course, he said that none of the guns are ever loaded.

"Assume they are loaded", I said, "and then always present the firearm with the action open so the person you are handing it to can also inspect it. Christ son, you don't get a second chance on this."

He actually seemed to appreciate it afterwards, so hopefully he takes it to heart.

Be nice to get a dummyround, and slip it in tehre and hand back... then ask... BTW do you ever check for loaded.....

I got one of my hunter ed students on a primed only case in a class, that guy trusted me, and violated the rule so I asked if he would point it safely and test the trigger, it was a very fine trigger. And made a fairly loud pop.... and made a point to him, and the class...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Hands up who's ever asked the diffrence tween .30/30 and .300 savage? i have.

That just sounds like a guy that's looking for some honest information. At lease he wasn't telling you some nonsense about what he thought the difference was.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
I've heard the triggers on .270's have to be set that light to shoot accurately....

The lighter the trigger the flatter the gun shoots.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ok, I just gotta tell the story. I was in a shop in Roseburg OR about 4 years ago looking at handguns. The owners son was an Army armorer fresh out of the service and was showing me everything under the glass, some I didn't want to see. I was holding my daughters hand and had 3 of my other kids in this small shop. The dorkfish "armorer" pulld an H&K .40 out of a plastic box, racks the slide and shows it to me. i didn't want to see it and told him so. He sits down on a stool behind the counter and aimed the gun at the glass. Then our resident "expert" touches one off.....through the glass and into the floor behind me. My daughter (3 years old at the time) had just wandered off to her brother, if she hadn't she would have caught one in the chest. I felt something blow by my pantleg, I think it was glass. You couldn't hear yourself think in the room, the owner comes out of his office wailing and crying "Not again"...lotta help that was...turns out he shot himself in the hand at a gunshow a few years earlier. My first thought was to jump the counter and beat thesnot out of this guy but instead I started doing a head count of kids who were, thanks God, all ok. I was too stunned for a few seconds to address the issue, finally I just gathered up my kids and my stuff and bailed out of there. I'll never enter the place again of course...long afterstory of the owner back peddling and making excuses. The best was that he said the other store in town had 2 or 3 AD's a year. Just....wow.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Heard at various times:

Don't shoot Remington ammo in a Winchester rifle. It was made for Remington guns and not Winchester.

A .264 Magnum is not suitable for antelope or small deer. The bullet is so fast it will go clear through and not expand.

Don't shoot 220 gr. ammo in a new Winchester 30-06 until you've fired a few boxes of shells. The barrel will be too tight to handle them.

In training, a boot accidentally fired a .45 auto in the direction of a D.I. It hit him in the thumb and spun him clear around.

Et cetera.....

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
I've heard the triggers on .270's have to be set that light to shoot accurately....

The lighter the trigger the flatter the gun shoots.

Tell me you're trying to pull our legs and you really don't believe that.

A trigger has absolutely NOTHING to do with how flat a gun shoots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually a heavier trigger makes them shoot flatter because the cartridge gets hit harder. Sort of like revolvers hit harder if you fling them forward when you shoot, like in the old cowboy movies. wink

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Roundup
Heard at various times:

Don't shoot Remington ammo in a Winchester rifle. It was made for Remington guns and not Winchester.

Oh, that's a good one...

Might have to spread that one around...

wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.