Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone in here brew their own?

My wife got me a pretty nice kit for Christmas and i have the first batch fermenting right now. Been fermenting for a week...next Monday, I bottle 2 cases of my first batch!

I brewed a New Zealand Honey IPA.

Anyone have any recipes?

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have done quite a few batches of these folks stuff with my FIL, but haven't done any for several years. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/

That's better.(first link to picture only) They make and excellent IPA and a Honey Wheat Ale.

Last edited by calikooknic; 01/27/14.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
What kind of beer do you want to make? Are you using extract?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One SIL is a big time home brewer and has won some regional and national beer competitions. He specializes in saisons and imperial stouts. I love to drink his beer, but find the need for absolute cleanliness and sanitation a lot of work.

He makes, I drink - works for me. Unfortunately, the family is in Northern Colorado so we can only get there (to see the grand kids) every other month.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to brew, but, for me, the time commitment was too much. I didn't really save any money, and I have more than enough hobbies to take up my time, so, since I can buy about any beer I want locally, and I don't drink that much beer, I buy rather than brew.

It's kind of like reloading for beer drinkers. You can get that extra 5% of performance (the EXACT taste/color/clarity/specific gravity/alcohol content) with a significant time-investment, but, from what I've seen with myself and friends, you don't save any money, you just drink more beer.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yep, I use Nothern Brewers. Got some Cariboo Slobber ready to bottle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep

I brew a malt wine very dark stout kinda stuff

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you Temmi. I like em big.

It's been a while, but IIRC, I always used at least 5lbs of extract or spray malt for every gallon of water.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by goalie
... but, from what I've seen with myself and friends, you don't save any money, you just drink more beer.

Sounds an awful lot like reloading ammo� grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On my bucket list of things to do, haven't got there yet.
I'm a Dopplebock, Dunkel, Schwarzbier kinda guy...
Oh, and Weizenbocks!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie

It's kind of like reloading for beer drinkers. You can get that extra 5% of performance (the EXACT taste/color/clarity/specific gravity/alcohol content) with a significant time-investment, but, from what I've seen with myself and friends, you don't save any money, you just drink more beer.

laugh

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My recipe was 2lbs of cracked grains that I steeped and then added in the malt extract (6lbs). From there, the hops boiled and then 1lb of honey.

It was a kit, but after my wife got it, the guy told me it's not the easiest, but not the most difficult either.

I was freaking out when after 12 hours, I saw no sign of active fermentation...moved it to a warmer spot and the airlock started bubbling within 2 hours. Bubbled for about 3 days. Now it's just waiting another week to bottle it.

I'm liking this hobby! Already got my eyes on another kit of some cheaper stuff, kinda just to pass around. Everyone wants to try it and it's not even done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23

I'm liking this hobby! Already got my eyes on another kit of some cheaper stuff, kinda just to pass around. Everyone wants to try it and it's not even done!

It is pretty easy to make a good pale-ale or IPA depending on your hop preference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my dad and sister just started brewing, so far they have been satisfied with there product, but my dad is a perfectionist and won't stop until it's perfect. I buy my beer, I ain't got time to be brewing anything right now

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Brewing runs in the family. You can do it simple or complicated. Just keep it fun.

Contamination and air are the enemy.

There are some pretty serious brewers here. I think tipmover is one.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I spent 50% of the time sanitizing EVERYTHING. there's still a LOT that I have to learn, but I'm liking it so far.

I just want a time machine to go ahead 5 more weeks!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Learn all grain. Skip the bottle crap. Go to kegs.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Brewing a California Steam tomorrow if you want to see some pictures of the all grain process.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Brewing a California Steam tomorrow if you want to see some pictures of the all grain process.

I'd like to see that! Thanks!! I want to make as many different styles as I can. I want to do kegs, but I need a kegorator, which I just don't have right now, nor do I have the$$ to get or make one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Need to be really careful with doing this kind of stuff. It can be habit forming! I don't brew, but have a son that got into it while at Georgia Tech. Just look at what it led to...

http://southboundbrewingco.com/

Harry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (21, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 59 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.