Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by vabeachman
because we are the best in the world.
That's true, but the tradition of excellence developed under a relatively free market system. As that disappears, so eventually will the excellence.

PS When I was a kid there was no such thing as an HMO. Most people had catastrophic medical insurance, and everything short of something like a heart attack, cancer, or a car accident, was paid out of pocket, so everyone wanted to know what everything cost, the providers knew and informed them, and most people looked for the better deals, thus keeping a constant pressure on the medical profession at every level to keep costs low and business models efficient. As a result, medical costs were fairly cheap, as was insurance.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atomchaser
The system is broken in multiple ways. Government interference and low reimbursement rates drive hopitals to attempt to make the difference from non-government patients. Lack of competition makes hospitals bloated and inefficient. The third party payment system discourages patients from shopping around and factoring costs into treatment decisions (especially in the case of elderly medicare patients). Finally, technology and innovation have driven the demand for the newest and greatest diagnostic and treatment tools but at very high cost. Health care in this country reminds me of the the F-22 airplane -- a technological marvel unmatched anywhere else but so expensive and complex we can't afford to fly them.

We began as an economy based on agriculture. We moved to an industrial economy. We then became a service economy. Our economy is now based on health care.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Yep, like most any other business the books are fudged. I have never worked in a hospital that the CEO was not a MBA. Of course some Doctors work in concert with the MBAs to lend credibility. Healthcare industry is worth more than my mind can imagine and there are all sort of crooks up and down the chain, from the lowest to the highest. But that being said, I think we have good healthcare in this country. I have taken care of people from around the world that have come here and have paid full price for procedures, because we are the best in the world.

No doubt about the quality. The only thing they did wrong was to make so much money that our government decided they needed in the game.
There is a lot of truth here. Plus like the others said, thieves up and down the whole food chain. When the biggest thieves, the politicians, see lower-level ones making big money, they naturally want a taste.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 01/28/14.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
because we are the best in the world.
That's true, but the tradition of excellence developed under a relatively free market system. As that disappears, so eventually will the excellence.

PS When I was a kid there was no such thing as an HMO. Most people had catastrophic medical insurance, and everything short of something like a heart attack, cancer, or a car accident, was paid out of pocket, so everyone wanted to know what everything cost, the providers knew and informed them, and most people looked for the better deals, thus keeping a constant pressure on the medical profession at every level to keep costs low and business models efficient. As a result, medical costs were fairly cheap, as was insurance.
Exactly. When I first got insurance, I could understand it easily. No way now. There were no co-pays, just an affordable deductible. Folks who didn't have health insurance were looked on as trash. Nowadays, lots of good people can't afford it but the trash have the best.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I agree. It sure has changed a lot. Especially since Medicare. My Grandfather died because He refused heart surgery in the 50's, probably couldn't afford it, but he made sure his son, a polio survivor received first class care. Reagan didn't help either with his emergency room law.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The politicians want a taste no matter how small. I have a B.S. in Nursing, decades of experience, my best year was in 2010, I made a commitment to try and make $100,000 dollars and failed. Even though I worked the whole year, 12 hour days, 6 days a week, I came up short. With +32 hours of overtime each week, I still came up short. The money goes towards the top and they use it to advance their own agenda.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The politicians want a taste no matter how small. I have a B.S. in Nursing, decades of experience, my best year was in 2010, I made a commitment to try and make $100,000 dollars and failed. Even though I worked the whole year, 12 hour days, 6 days a week, I came up short. With +32 hours of overtime each week, I still came up short. The money goes towards the top and they use it to advance their own agenda.
+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What does Chuck Norris pay if he gets snake bit?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What does Chuck Norris pay if he gets snake bit?

I dunno but I saw him bite the head offen a rat that some gooks put on him by puttin' it in a bag they put over his head.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
When snakes bite Chuck Norris, they die.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
plus $3k for installation.

You'd think if a person can smoke pot for pain, without a doctor; the same person could administer chemo to themselves. Just google it.
Chemo drugs are nasty stuff. You want someone who knows what they're doing right there all the time. You can pass out, go into shock, or anything else. It's nothing to mess with on your own.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman
The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under a free market principles, hospitals don't list the prices they will charge.
I could not agree more.

Winner! Winner! Therein lies the entire [bleep} problem with health care.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under a free market principles, hospitals don't list the prices they will charge.
I could not agree more.

Winner! Winner! Therein lies the entire [bleep} problem with health care.

Herein lies the problem. How could a hospital have any idea what your course of treatment will cost until it's completed?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. As an RN, your base salary should have been over $50K/yr. If you really worked 32hrs overtime per week you would have been well over $100K. Now, this still proves nothing. Who is at the top that somehow is getting the money you wanted?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under free market principles, hospitals do NOT list the prices they will charge.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...lth-costs-wide-differences-locally_n.htm

WASHINGTON � Patients pay as much as 683% more for the same medical procedures, such as MRIs or CT scans, in the same town, depending on which doctor they choose, according to a study by a national health care group.

But if a patient does not know how much a procedure costs, he or she gets stuck with the remainder of the bill if it goes above that average price.

"It helps the small business," McClure said, "but the consumer's left out in the cold."

Providers, he said, often don't know real costs, either. When asked by patients for the cost of a procedure, providers often say they need to check with the insurer. The patient only learns the real cost when the bill arrives, McClure said. Legal reasons often prevent providers from discussing cost differences.

"The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under free market principles, hospitals do NOT list the prices they will charge."

Add to this that often people can just not shop for better costs (as you can for a car or TV). If you are taken to the ER in need of immediate attention, you can't comparison shop for a better deal at another hospital; you need help now.

I just had a total knee replacement and my (highly recommended) surgeon practiced at one hospital; if I wanted him to do the job, I went where he practiced. Besides, I really don't believe another hospital would offer competitive costs. Hospitals are not in a price sensitive field of service.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
http://news.yahoo.com/snake-bite-89000-162515519.html

A snakebite victim who was treated at a North Carolina hospital came away with more than just fang marks when he received an $89,227 bill for an 18-hour stay.

Eric Ferguson, 54, from Mooresville, N.C., was taking out the trash at his home last August when he was bitten on the foot by a snake. He drove himself to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, where he was treated with anti-venom medicine.

According to his bill, the hospital charged $81,000 for a four-vial dose of the medication.

Shocked at the price tag, Ferguson told the Charlotte Observer he and his wife found the same vials online for retail prices as low as $750.

Ferguson, who is insured, said his care was "beyond phenomenal."

"It was just the sticker shock," he said.

Because the hospital has a contract with Ferguson's insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, it reduced the total bill to $20,227. According to the Observer, the couple paid $5,400 out of pocket to cover their deductible and co-pay.

The hospital defended its prices, saying it has to charge prices higher than retail because of the various discounts it is required to give insurers.

"We are required to give Medicare one level of discount from list price, Medicaid another, and private insurers negotiate for still others," officials told the newspaper. "If we did not start with the list prices we have, we would not end up with enough revenue to remain in operation."

The hospital added: "Our costs for providing uncompensated care are partially covered by higher bills for other patients."

The Fergusons' case is, of course, not unique. A 2013 cover story by Steven Brill in Time magazine ("Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us") detailed the "outrageous pricing and egregious profits" destroying the U.S. health care system, noting that Americans were expected to spend an estimated $2.8 trillion on health care last year.

Wow! I have a story to tell just like this. I busted my butt last fall off a combination of scaffold and an extension ladder (fell about 23 feet) . I also drove myself the the Lake Norman Regional Medical Center where I had about a four hour stay. One of those four hours was trying to get the heck out of there. My bill was over $28,000.00. Ironic huh? The folks at Lake Norman did a great job but I did not receive $28,000.00 worth of treatment. I guess we are paying for the Mexicans and white trash that get treatment without paying.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
http://news.yahoo.com/snake-bite-89000-162515519.html

A snakebite victim who was treated at a North Carolina hospital came away with more than just fang marks when he received an $89,227 bill for an 18-hour stay.

Eric Ferguson, 54, from Mooresville, N.C., was taking out the trash at his home last August when he was bitten on the foot by a snake. He drove himself to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, where he was treated with anti-venom medicine.

According to his bill, the hospital charged $81,000 for a four-vial dose of the medication.

Shocked at the price tag, Ferguson told the Charlotte Observer he and his wife found the same vials online for retail prices as low as $750.

Ferguson, who is insured, said his care was "beyond phenomenal."

"It was just the sticker shock," he said.

Because the hospital has a contract with Ferguson's insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, it reduced the total bill to $20,227. According to the Observer, the couple paid $5,400 out of pocket to cover their deductible and co-pay.

The hospital defended its prices, saying it has to charge prices higher than retail because of the various discounts it is required to give insurers.

"We are required to give Medicare one level of discount from list price, Medicaid another, and private insurers negotiate for still others," officials told the newspaper. "If we did not start with the list prices we have, we would not end up with enough revenue to remain in operation."

The hospital added: "Our costs for providing uncompensated care are partially covered by higher bills for other patients."

The Fergusons' case is, of course, not unique. A 2013 cover story by Steven Brill in Time magazine ("Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us") detailed the "outrageous pricing and egregious profits" destroying the U.S. health care system, noting that Americans were expected to spend an estimated $2.8 trillion on health care last year.

Wow! I have a story to tell just like this. I busted my butt last fall off a combination of scaffold and an extension ladder (fell about 23 feet) . I also drove myself the the Lake Norman Regional Medical Center where I had about a four hour stay. One of those four hours was trying to get the heck out of there. My bill was over $28,000.00. Ironic huh? The folks at Lake Norman did a great job but I did not receive $28,000.00 worth of treatment. I guess we are paying for the Mexicans and white trash that get treatment without paying.
It's all good. Just ask Kodiack or djs. lol

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Stick to herbal medicine. You'll be much happier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
The biggest problem with what healthcare charges is most people don't have a clue what they are being charged for. They have no idea how many people are behind the scenes that they never see.

Want to talk cost of drugs. Fine. Our inpatient pharmacy operates 24/7. To cover every shift, every day requires a lot of pharmacists and technicians. To have the drugs on the shelves when you need them requires several people who only work supply. Unfortunately, all those people need management and their support. Oh yeah, those drugs have to be in stock in sufficient amounts. It's not a small amount in inventory that is there just in case that never gets used, but it has to be there just the same. How much mark up has to be made just to break even? It's not a little.

Now, that pharmacy has bills whether we have patients or not. Equipment, cleaning staff, utilities. It's not free. Same goes for every department in the hospital. You may see one nurse, but there are many people behind her that are required for her to give you treatment. The hospital overall has to have admin and HR plus all the costs of providing them a place to work. All those people have to be there whether we see one patient or 100.

Doctors? They certainly don't come for free and you may encounter several along the way.

If your hospital bill had a breakdown of everything you were paying for you would never finish reading it. You see three people while you're in but don't see the other 50 that are there making sure you can be taken care of. You certainly don't see all the millions of dollars worth of equipment that is there just so you can be taken care of.

Then factor in all the people we have to take care of that we know we won't cover expenses. How many businesses are required to sell products below cost or just give them away?

Of course, some of you just want to bitch and don't really want to know what's going on, so bitch away.
Sorry but to put it succinctly, horseshit.

And I'll bet every mechanic, electrician, and plumber has screwed you too. Funny how the people that know the least, scream the loudest.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr
The hospital is probably going to accept the $20,000 as payment, claim the balance of $69,000 as noncollectable, all the while making probably close to $15,000, and knowing the guy got bit by a rat snake. grin
They don't give anti-venom unless you need it.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 14 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.