Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My four year hitch in the Marine Corps was during peacetime,'60 - '64, so I've never seen a man killed in combat.

But I've witnessed, first hand, men killed in accidents on the job. Two died in my arms.

Ken's thread about the cannon getting loose on the ship brought chills down my spine, because I saw a death so similar in much the same circumstances.

We were making the trip from Okinawa to Camp Fuji McNair in Japan, which we did 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes we went aboard LSD's and sometimes LST's. It is a mean stretch of water.

This particular time, we were on 3 LST's and the second or third night out, a storm came up about as bad as I've ever experienced. No troops were allowed topside.

All our 155's were on a different ship than the one I was on. We had our vehicles chained to the cleats on the Tank deck, including a TD18, the equivalent of a D5 or D6 Cat, it seemed to me.

The rack I had chosen was the first one inside one of the four passageways [doors for you landlubbers grin] to the walway and just before "lights out", a Staff Sgt. came in assigned me to guard the passageway to ensure that no one could could access the walkway that ran around the Tank deck, but a couple decks above it. It had ladders going down and they provided the only access to the Tank deck where our vehicles were lashed down.

We were to keep everyone off the Tank deck. If a vehicle got loose, we were to ignore it. Any loose ones would be dealt with when the sea calmed.

The operator of the dozer somehow got onto the Tank deck. I suppose one of the other guards let him thru. His dozer had slipped two of its turnbuckles on the same side. I could look down on the whole affair, being almost directly above him.

The 18 would slide back, loosening the chains that still held it on one side, then as the ship took a 35 or 40 degree roll in the opposite direction, the chains would catch it, so it was not completely loose. Diesel [ the catskinner's nickname] was attempting to fasten the turnbuckles that had come completely loose from one side as the ship made a roll in that direction.

After a few attempts, I saw one of the other chains come loose, I screamed at him, but their must have been too much noise since he never gave any indication that he heard.

He was bent over, with the turnbuckle in his hands, stuck thru the tiedown loop on the 18, and intent on putting the other end in the deck cleat when the dozer made its slide toward him.

This slide, with no lashing to restrain it, the dozer didn't stop. The end of the blade pushed his head up against the front wheel of a Five Ton truck and just kept going right thru his head.

As soon as I yelled back into the Troop quarters about what had happened, the ship's crew took over, and we were confined to quarters.

It didn't take them long to recover his body as they brought it back thru our quarters and placed it in the reefer. It was another day or so before the sea calmed enough to get a chopper in to haul Diesel's body out.

I wish I hadn't read the loose cannon thread this morning.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm always amazed when people opine that life aboard a warship must be a piece of cake. Let's see... you're living in an all-metal environment subject to constant motion, filled with heavy machinery that's always in motion, surrounded by high-explosive, toxic or highly flammable substances. What could go wrong?

Damn near everything...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Murphy was a Pollyanna �

Howell's Law is much more realistic �

Whatever can not possibly go wrong will go wrong sooner or later.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I'm always amazed when people opine that life aboard a warship must be a piece of cake. Let's see... you're living in an all-metal environment subject to constant motion, filled with heavy machinery that's always in motion, surrounded by high-explosive, toxic or highly flammable substances. What could go wrong?

Damn near everything...
My father told me of times when men on deck forgot to pay attention and walked into the prop of an idling fighter.. He said they just hosed down the deck and kept on..

He was operations officer on the old carrier Langley in WWII.

Forgot to add: when I was in the Navy we were always told by senior chiefs that Navy rules were written in blood.. I did not doubt them..

Last edited by Redneck; 01/29/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the deaths when I served my mandatory year was via OT64 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-64_SKOT - they were parked side by side and driver was backing one in while talking to a friend standing on the side.

They did not realized that the next OT is not parallel and the moving one snipped the friend mid body.

When you deal with heavy stuff, people get hurt.

Last edited by Czech_Made; 01/29/14.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead doesn't bother me. Dying, on the other hand, does.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The chiefs were right. Unfortunately, I saw too often what happens when those rules were broken or ignored. Hosing blood off of decks is a memory that never quite goes away.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
read my response to loose cannon.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was on the USS Saipan at the end of 1991 or early 1992 (Summer Med cruise turned into a through the med, into the gulf cruise after the Gulf War) when a harrier pilot had a "parking" accident and drove his plane off the flight deck.

I don't think that helps your chances at promotion......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Dead doesn't bother me. Dying, on the other hand, does.

Depends on the individual.

Made a t-stop on a kid wanted for sticking a gun in a bank tellers face. He put one in one ear and out the other....

After he was loaded up in the meat wagon, I returned to my car and finished my banana which I started prior to him driving past.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can watch 100 deaths but "ONE" tends to and will always stick out for some reason? Never understood that? Something makes it different?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This thread made me reflect how lucky I am. I've never witnessed anyone getting killed.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Two accidents, one a pedestrian hit by a truck on the interstate and was not killed instantly, the second was a truck driver who jackknifed his rig on a curve, and hit the stone cliff next to the road.. I was one of the first people on the scene... both died in my arms...and I had no idea what to do with injuries that severe...

That was when I was in college... on e in Pennsylvania and one at home in Virginia...

both were the motivation contributors for me picking my MOS in the military....

I didn't see it happen, but I had to take care of the aftermath... when an M60 Tank ran over another soldier.. that wasn't fun...

have dealt with many patents dying over the years... both on the wards, and in the OR....

you get use to it, but those first two stick in the memory the most....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Only one I've seen happened when I was 11. I rode up on my bicycle literally seconds before the line snapped and he got electrocuted. Won't ever forget the sight of it or the smell. Here's the obit with story:

"Leland Thorne Services for Leland Eugene Thorne, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donnie Thorne of 1115 E. 78th St., were at 3:30 p.m. today at Sanders Memorial Chapel with Richard E. Cline of the Jehovah's Witnesses officiating. Burial was in Resthaven Memorial Park under direction of Sanders Funer- ai Home. The boy died here Thursday afternoon from electric shock and burns sustained when the cable he and other youths were playing on broke and fell into a high-voltage line. Justice of the Peace Bill Ross ruled that the death was accidental. The boy was born in Lubbock. He was a seventh grade student at Atkins Junior High School. He was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses"

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
When I was part of emergency service we worked a head on accident one morning where the guy was in a half ton pickup that had taken on a semi. Fella was pinned in in the sitting position behind the wheel and the whole firewall had moved in pinning him back with the steering wheel, both legs badly broken and virtually tucked under the seat yet still able to speak to us very coherently. Sadly though he had an internal bleed and the only thing keeping his blood pressure up enough to survive was the pressure being applied by being trapped. As soon as we pulled the firewall back to release him it was like a switch was turned off in him when his BP dropped. Even M.A.S.T. pants couldn't bring it back up and he did not survive. Life can end very quickly. Not the only one I've seen die but was looking right at him as the hydraulic unit released him and saw his last waking moment.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LT is right, the ones that are dead, ain't so much. But I've got one particular one, in a bad wreck, in a rainstorm on opening day of bow.. I was in the stand when the pager went and it sounded bad so I ran... and drove...

Guy was pinned in, and I"m on a hose line trying to keep the one vehicle on fire out, and from catching the one on fire that he is in... we are cutting him out and he keeps staring at me saying help me, please help me.... When the guys finally lifted the dash... I could see all the pink drain from his face, which is what I had kinda thought was going to happen... went from hose line to CPR on him all the way to town in a rain storm, to have him pronounced when we arrived.

I say it doesn't bother me, and it doesnt' so much, I don't think... but I won't ever forget that one either. I don't dream of it or it doesn't wake me... but I do see him from time to time in my mind.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Damn.. funny that we typed about exactly the same thing at the same time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MColeman
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
curdog;
Hopefully this finds you and yours acceptably well this snowy and slick January afternoon sir.

I've been fortunate thus far into my life - will turn 52 this year - in that I've never had anyone expire while I was right there.

For a number of years now I've been an Occupational First Aid guy at work and carry a go bag in my vehicles, so I've stopped at a couple good wrecks over the years.

One that stands out was an older chap who'd rolled a Pontiac Solstice at least 3 times. The crazy thing was he had this techno pop/disco music blaring and I couldn't get a pulse with the entire car shaking from the tunes.

The doors wouldn't open and for whatever reason the airbags hadn't deployed - but the gas cap and cover were gone. Funny what you remember on these details.

Anyway I could see he'd taken a mighty blow to the head and as a result he was a GCS of 2 when I first gloved up and made a shaky 3 before the local volunteer firemen got there.

I couldn't do much for him as it turned out curdog, but I had the distinct impression he was about to make the last leg of the journey so to speak.

There was another accident where the chap had already gone, but again I wasn't there until after.

Philosophically speaking I think I'd be OK attending anyone other than family or folks close to me, but with all things, only riding that one down would tell for sure how I fared.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread this afternoon curdog and all the best to you folks down there.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/29/14. Reason: spell czech

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.