-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a like-new Safari Express in 375 H&H from a fellow here on the Fire. It had been shot very little, and that fact was obvious. After a day at the range however, I noticed a LOT of copper fouling in the last 1.5-2.0" of rifling from the muzzle back (think solid orange). When running a patch through the bore, I can feel that it's rougher there, and I can even see light chatter marks on one of the lands. Clearly, there was an issue during rifling.

The thing is, the gun appears to want to shoot. Having grabbed a bunch of my Barnes TSX handloads from my other .375, it put most of them into 1-1.5" at 100 yards, and that load was for another gun. What's more, I had removed and reinstalled the scope between shots here. I don't know whether to continue with load development, or send it to Winchester and have them fix it.

I do have JB bore paste, but that's not going to remove the machining marks. If it shoots well, will these imperfections smooth out over time? I'm reluctant to fire lap or hand lap the bore if it's shooting well, but it bugs the crap out of me...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by richardca99; 01/19/14.

Chris
GB1

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, the machine marks will reduce as you shoot it. If the rifle shoots decent groups, ignore the rough spot and enjoy the rifle. You could try loading some of the abrasive bullets sold by David Tubb. Might help, might not.

RAN

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it really bugs you, look into making lead lapping slugs and using fine valve compound. Clearly, you have a gun with potential, which you COULD mess up.
I've gone absolutely nuts on barrels that shoot poorly, and gotten about 2/3rds of them to improve a lot (the others are now scrap) but barrels that shoot well are tinkered with a little at a time.
Safest way to go is to go after it with the copper remover, get that all gone, then try to polish it with JB. Call it an extended break-in.
The marks are on the lands, so that will go away first.
But if it shoots with a workup -- like under an inch -- then maybe you'll be fine just shooting it and staying after the copper until the fouling relaxes.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
By the group picture. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Shoot it and clean it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You might also think about having the barrel shortened a couple of inches and recrowned. There's a lot of barrel on a safari express & losing a couple of inches wouldn't hurt anything.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've gotten barrels to clean up using lapping by fire lapping. Fire lapping converted a 300 Win Mag from a 1.7" to about .6" with the right loads. Similarly I got a 280 Remington to decrease group size greatly. This last deer season I took the 280 out with 154 grain and 162 grain Hornadys. The 154's shot ~ .5 inch and the 162's shot ~.7"

Hand lapping may do better, but for a 'wanna be' gunsmith the fire lapping worked well.

Anytime a high power rifle shoots hunting load groups like those, I am very pleased.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
You might also think about having the barrel shortened a couple of inches and recrowned. There's a lot of barrel on a safari express & losing a couple of inches wouldn't hurt anything.

If it turns out to be a problem, this is a great idea. I could lop it off to 22" and lose virtually nothing. I'm going to shoot it for a while, work on the rough spot with JB, and then resort to this if necessary. Thanks.

Chris
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Shoot some Speer 235 or Hornady 225 bullets thorough it and clean when you see any fouling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would just shoot it. I doubt a spot near the muzzle will ever wear down enough to not grab copper, but you never know. Shortening and recrowning is definitely one way to go. I would shoot it until I could no longer stand it, then go semi custom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"it put most of them into 1-1.5" at 100 yards,"

Leave it alone, it couldn't love you any more.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I seriously doubt leaping will no no more than help.. If winchester will fix it then do it. As a rifle with a rough bore will be a hard sale down the road.. It would bug me also. ButI have several shooter rifles with rough spots and they shoot fine. I just can bring myself to put a whole lot of effort into them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Generally you can hand lap stuff like that out but you should know what you are doing.

Did you bore scope it yet?

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/29/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a gun smith but hand lapping a finished barrel takes a knowledgeable touch to do properly. Even then it is usually recommended to lop off at least an inch off the barrel.

Try Winchester first but if they shoot a test group they will send it back to you untouched and on your dime most likely.

I would try the Tubbs final finish with the bullets lubed before firing go easy maybe using only 3-5 of the courser ones. Tri Lube seems to get the abrasive action further down the barrel
(Zeddeker tip).

Afterward I would use Dyna bore coat or whatever it is called now. This has worked on really bad tomato stake barrels before.

If it still bothered me I would go ahead and lop 1.5 to 2" off the muzzle which is a sure fix.

Last edited by Tejano; 01/31/14.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I agree you need to know what your doing.

I took a course from a gunsmith to learn how to do it.

That being said - you want to lap the bad spot not the rest - and Ideally you'd get a nice even drag all the way down the barrel.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Fire lapping does more at the Throat end than the rest of the way down the barrel - how far down is your rough spot?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Man, a 24" 375 barrel? Lop it off.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Fire lapping does more at the Throat end

Agree but the trilube oil does seem to get it farther down the barrel. Looking down the muzzle everything was shinier and felt smoother when running a patch down the bore.

Hand lapping would do it but is so risky on anything but an unfinished barrel or a clunker.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by richardca99
I could lop it off to 22" and lose virtually nothing.

This is it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.