Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Elk hunting in Colorado. 17 below in a tent.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winter of 1977.

Parents were building a house in the country and we had sold our house in town. We were living in an old, uninsulated farmhouse that had only been used as a summer home by the previous owners. We installed a furnace but could only put a very few runs to the downstairs. The bedrooms were upstairs. We had air temps in the low to mid -30's that winter. Don't know for sure just how cold it got in the upstairs. But I do remember my parents putting a thermometer on top of their bedspread the one sunny afternoon and it pegged at 34 degrees.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Two categories:

1. The coldest night for which I was prepared was elk hunting in the late season a couple years ago when it got down to 24 below zero and we were sleeping in an unheated pop-up camper. It was a little painful to breathe but we slept warm enough.

2. The coldest for which I was not well prepared was June of 1975 backpacking in the Gore mountain range. It snowed that night and all I had was a thin sleeping bag and an Army blanket. I was numb from the knees down all night. That's when I decided I'd never be unprepared again. smile

Last edited by achadwick; 01/29/14.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting camp, Stanley Basin Idaho.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Brothers? That is God forsaken, it is not?

Originally Posted by logger
In 1977 my girl friend (now wife) and I took a a long trip in my 1974 VW bus. Started in October on the Oregon coast and then cut inland to Reno, Denver, Casper and then through Montana on our way back to Oregon. Our last night was in mid November at the rest area near Brothers, Oregon. It was -20 and the old VW bus didn't retain much heat. It did, however, start in the morning, which wasn't the case with a number of other cars. We jumped about four or five. It took about a day for our feet to thaw out as the old bus didn't put out much heat at those temps.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
-57 DEG IN fARIBANKS, aK IN 1956. i WAS DELIVERING NEWS PAPERS. i HAD SO MANY CLOTHES ON THAT MY SHRUNKEN PECKER WOULDN'T MAKE IT OUT OF MY PANTS. i DID THE REST OF THE ROUTE STIFF LEGGED.
I didn't know that I hit the button, but shouting is appropriate in this case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North TX when a college buddy and I went to see my parents between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My folks had an apartment behind the house that had a waterbed but since nobody stayed there, they cut the electricity, so no heat and no warmer on the bed. My buddy and I stayed out late drinking and chasing girls and when we got home the house was locked and my parents had gone to bed. We spent the night in the little apartment on the waterbed (and it was dang cold outside). We thought we were going to freeze and the next morning we were huddled so close together you have thought...........well you know, that we were of "that" way. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A night with my x wife...if she uncrossed her legs the furnace would start.................. seriously the coldest temp
I have experienced was -50� F static air temp here. Wasn't at night though but just before sunrise. Spent last Oct 4-5 in a cargo trailer in a blizzard...that was fun even with a heater.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Butler Pennsylvania Feb. 2002.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
February no tent, just a bag on the snow, got down to -30 or so, didn't sleep much

spring bear hunt with a super duper new thin lt. wt. bag that was supposed to be good to 23 F believe it got down in the teens, and I've had bags rated for 40 above that were warmer than thin pos

after that I test bags before I take them in the field.

have had to siwash with no bag and it got down to around zero, I slept pretty decent by the big fire I built, but man the sparks played hell on that fleece jacket!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outdoors?

Long story short... was winter 2004/5.

If a buddy and his visiting "river guide/backpacking guide" friend consistently outvote you on a backcountry trip, there are two possibilities: 1.) your backcounty sensibilities aren't as savvy you thought, or 2.) your buddies are full of [bleep] and could get you killed.

The forecast "chance of snow" hadn't fallen by our arrival at the trailhead, so we left the ski's behind and hiked in.

Actual temps that night were unknowable - the briskly moving river rapids we rock-hopped across that first night was frozen over solid by the next AM. Camp was pitched, against my objection, in oxbow of said river. Conifer'd, sheltered leeward side of the ridge above us was just too far.... Later, TV news said low of -7F in nearest town that night, so God only knows what it was in that river bottom, wind and about 6in of fine driven snow (yeah, it showed up), but we damn-near had to go "Lee24" to survive the night. F! that was a cold night and a bitch of an AM start with numbed-dead feet.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
man those cold nights sure make you appreciate a nice warm comfortable bed don't they

bonus when there's a lady's shaved legs in there too!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Don't remember the temp or lack thereof 2L2Q but, that damn Lake Erie wind cut through me like a chainsaw, brutal sombitch it was.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1985,my brother and I put our stuff on a tobaggan,put on our snowshoes and went out in the 'Dacks for a winter camping/small game hunting trip. Daytime -15.nighttime -37* No real problems 'cept the fire melted down another 2 feet from where we dug down 3' for our tentsite..

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not extreme low temps, probably below freezing sitting on a concrete ramp wearing a field jacket without the liner, no long underwear, no hat, no gloves pulling panels with armor plating off to get oil samples from 2 A-7s with the wind gusting above 15 mph. The wind sure added to the fun of getting the panels back on.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winter, 1974.

Pop up Tents,.....and propane heaters that were a joke,.....cuz' the propane was frozen solid.

Well below -40* (at that point it don't matter how much more)
the mild "Ground drift" wasn't worthy of the term "Wind",....nonetheless, turning one's face into it FROZE exposed facial appurtenances in a matter of seconds.

Lougheed Island is one of the uninhabited islands of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut. It measures 1,312 km2 (507 sq mi) in size. It is relatively isolated compared to other Canadian Arctic islands, and is located in the Arctic Ocean, halfway between Ellef Ringnes Island to the northeast and Melville Island to the southwest. It is part of the Findlay Group.

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Brothers? That is God forsaken, it is not?

Originally Posted by logger
In 1977 my girl friend (now wife) and I took a a long trip in my 1974 VW bus. Started in October on the Oregon coast and then cut inland to Reno, Denver, Casper and then through Montana on our way back to Oregon. Our last night was in mid November at the rest area near Brothers, Oregon. It was -20 and the old VW bus didn't retain much heat. It did, however, start in the morning, which wasn't the case with a number of other cars. We jumped about four or five. It took about a day for our feet to thaw out as the old bus didn't put out much heat at those temps.

I have a BIL who lived for a while about twenty miles outside the thriving metropolis of Brothers. A lot of good coyote and sage rat hunting but it can get a bit chilly come winter. Calving season when you are expecting over a thousand head can make for long cold nights.

My worst was the winter of 72-73. USS Grand Canyon was in the Tod yards in Brooklyn. No steam lines so no heat. I was in charge of fire watch division. 27 of us lived that winter without heat or running water while the rest of the crew liver on a floating barracks and had heat and showers. High volume desmoking fans sucking outside air through our berthing compartment 24 hours a day because they were burning out old torpedo magazines below us. That was the worst and it lasted months.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent a night in a pickup truck on the Arctic Ocean in a storm....had enough gas to keep some heat in the truck.

September 11, 1991 was the storm of the century during moose season when temperatures dropped to -20F with 60 mph winds...way early for that kind of weather.

But those are mere child's play compared to a winter moose hunt up the Little Delta River......the temperature was dropping fast as we snowmobiled 60 miles in.....we quickly set up the wall tent and stove.....bucked up a pile of firewood....fluffed up our sleeping bags and dug a bottle of Crown for a drink before dinner.....The damned Crown Royal wouldn't pour out of the bottle!

Now that is a genuine wilderness emergency!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The coldest I ever had to stay out all night, was 28 Below Zero. I managed but it was tough. The worst was 20 to 30 below days flying out of Bethel. I could never stay warm in the airplane, we stop flying when it got down to 35 below, airplanes cold soak to much. I learned that some hand warmers in various places on your person helps a lot. and Good loose layers of clothing and above all stay dry.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a teen we used to camp for weeks at a time in the Homoochitto National Forest. The closest I ever came to dying from hypothermia was in weather only about 20 degrees. All our gear got wet right after dark when the pop up trailer we were in tipped up on end when all of us but two guys in the back bunk got out. After it tipped up it rolled down a big hill in and into a little backed up creek. The camper was pretty much totaled so we loaded everything salvageable into my toyota and tried to leave. But we got my truck stuck within 100 yards of leaving camp and were effectively stranded with nothing but wet sleeping bags and clothes. We tried for hours to get unstuck but only managed to get the truck sitting down on both axles. There was no way to get a fire going even using gasoline. We sat in the truck with the heater running in shifts then huddled around a coleman stove when it was our turn to get out of the truck. I still shiver thinking about it. I thought my teeth were going to chip from chattering.

Last edited by EddyBo; 01/29/14.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 56 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.