Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
maybe that's what you "see" yourself as trying to do

but I don't believe that's how most of us see it

don't recall a lot of your posts, but I probably would if they had offended me, so doubt you're a bad egg. Just horribly misguided in your perception of Mickey's tale.

but as someone already mentioned, you seem intent on diggin your way to China

How do most of you see it? How do others perceive it? This is not a direct attack on Mickey, but on the culture. On the other hand BC30cal, who is neither friend or foe, but does live in my area, can relate a story where I have no idea what the person is like other than the music being played was generally deemed "not of his generation". So I guess there is regional differences , and by my estimation (all though we may not agree on many things) is a class act. Something to be learned here boys and girls.

hey sometimes a guy just wants authentic Chop Suey I reckon

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
How do most of you see it? How do others perceive it? This is not a direct attack on Mickey, but on the culture. On the other hand BC30cal, who is neither friend or foe, but does live in my area, can relate a story where I have no idea what the person is like other than the music being played was generally deemed "not of his generation". So I guess there is regional differences , and by my estimation (all though we may not agree on many things) is a class act. Something to be learned here boys and girls.

If I may be so bold as to speak for others, and since you admit to making an attack, I'll tell you how I see it.

When an attack is made over an offense that doesn't exist, as in this case, the attacker comes off as arrogant and/or overly PC, both of which are very annoying. It's like you're shaking your finger at us for something we didn't do.

Mickey simply stated a fact, without prejudice or malice. You took that fact and created something out of it that wasn't there. In doing so you offended everyone else who also saw nothing wrong with the statement and you looked pompous while doing it.

You don't need to ask the first two questions in your post. Simply read the responses with an open mind, not one predisposed to finding racism where none exists.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

Bike doing about 70,..Suburban doing about 50,..about 50 yards in front of me.

I was on another bike.

The Suburban knocked the Suzuki back in my direction but to my left.

It happened in a lot less time than it takes to tell about it.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.

Which one was in the wrong lane?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

If I may be so bold as to speak for others, and since you admit to making an attack, I'll tell you how I see it.

When an attack is made over an offense that doesn't exist, as in this case, the attacker comes off as arrogant and/or overly PC, both of which are very annoying. It's like you're shaking your finger at us for something we didn't do.

Mickey simply stated a fact, without prejudice or malice. You took that fact and created something out of it that wasn't there. In doing so you offended everyone else who also saw nothing wrong with the statement and you looked pompous while doing it.

You don't need to ask the first two questions in your post. Simply read the responses with an open mind, not one predisposed to finding racism where none exists.

P

Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
18 years of career EMS has gave me the misfortune to see too many deaths in front of me in all manners.

Like Fatjack said it just comes with the territory and for the most part while in the mess its all business as there is time to reflect after its over.

Kids still bug me and the one that sticks the worst was a neighbor girl from down the street.

Another teen neighbor who had recently gotten her drivers license looked down to adjust the radio and swerved pinning the young girl to the phone pole in front of about 20 other children waiting for the school bus. Upon our arrival she was talking and had good vitals but no sensation form point of impact down. We all knew the situation so the girls parents were picked up by the department chaplain, shields were made with salvage tarps and prepared for the inevitable.

Compartmentalization syndrome is a bitch to explain to a mother and father who can see, touch and talk to their child. Its a sad pill to swallow that there baby will die as soon as the car is moved.....

Absolute hell as it was a small town and both families knew each other well as did all the other parents that gathered and all of us on the fire dept.

Most days its just a job and I do my best but I know better then to take the demons home with me or allow them to consume me but the memories are always there.

how/when do you make the decision to move the car? I'm not I could knowing what is going to happen.

I've not been EMS/Fire but for only a few years... why I decided late in life that I needed to who knows..

I have not had to deal with the car type yet, but we have lost some, MVA and when you release the dash or whatever... for us, its as soon as we can get to them, and get the pressure relieved so that EMS can take over just in case there is something to salvage.

Of course I know already pretty much, when you get to a bad scene, how its going to play out.

RE the kids... I don't have any clue why they don't bother me much. Somehow in my twisted mind the tykes won't have to take on many years of life at least thats how I view it, but for some reason they don't bother me any more than anyone else we work on/with.

But I do see how it bothers many folks. I generally take the lead if kids are involved so that others don't have to. My nephew is awful soft there just having a 1 year old, and at least he is smart enough to walk away if need be.

There will be some point where we all have to walk away though.

I tend to rest easy knowing that doing anything, in a way of help, as a volunteer, is better than doing nothing or not even showing up. Though I really wish our CPR runs would have a higher rate of success than they do. But we do get the occasional save.

Kind of liek the house fire last night. 10 more minutes and we'd have had a major fire in an old wood frame 2 story house..... luckily even as volunteers poked out of bed at night, we got the dryer fire out before it could catch the rest of the house...so every now and then we aren't "slab savers" as some call us. And every now and then we get to talk to our CPR patients later.

Makes up for all the other times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Furprick

P

Yeah, I have. The shaker is usually bored, an a-hole, or both.

Which are you?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

P

Having followed this unfortunate part of the thread, if you think things were wrong so be it. If you think that is going to change anythign I suggest you think again. Nothing wrong was stated in the eyes of the majority here. So why would anything change? I"d say possibly best to take your argument to democratic underground or such, were the majority of folks have chips on their shoulders.

And I suggest you never become a writer, those woudl be BORING books not having a clue...

Mickey's statement quickly put a vision in my head of what was going on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
18 years of career EMS has gave me the misfortune to see too many deaths in front of me in all manners.

Like Fatjack said it just comes with the territory and for the most part while in the mess its all business as there is time to reflect after its over.

Kids still bug me and the one that sticks the worst was a neighbor girl from down the street.

Another teen neighbor who had recently gotten her drivers license looked down to adjust the radio and swerved pinning the young girl to the phone pole in front of about 20 other children waiting for the school bus. Upon our arrival she was talking and had good vitals but no sensation form point of impact down. We all knew the situation so the girls parents were picked up by the department chaplain, shields were made with salvage tarps and prepared for the inevitable.

Compartmentalization syndrome is a bitch to explain to a mother and father who can see, touch and talk to their child. Its a sad pill to swallow that there baby will die as soon as the car is moved.....

Absolute hell as it was a small town and both families knew each other well as did all the other parents that gathered and all of us on the fire dept.

Most days its just a job and I do my best but I know better then to take the demons home with me or allow them to consume me but the memories are always there.

The statement in bold just hit me like a punch in the guts. I love being a daddy, but the worrying I could do without.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

Have seen it often �

The epitome of supercilious arrogance.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My wife witnessed one on a motorcycle. She was going to work one morning preparing to make a right turn. A motorcycle behind her changes lanes to go around. At the same time a car pulls out from the right where my wife is going. The biker lays it down on the left and just misses the car. He's skiidding down the street and lets go of the bars. Somehow he got stood up and high side doing a rag doll flip and slamming his head on the ground.
She waited for EMS with this guy and he never woke up, just real ragged breathing. He was still alive leaving in an ambulance.
So then she calls me at work extremely upset. I thought I would try to go home for her. I called both shift opposites and couldn't get anyone. This is where it got weird. One co-worker is a department chaplain. When I called home his son said his dad AND mom were at a hospital. I wondered why he would take his wife on a chaplain call. I left a voice mail for him and when he called back he started relating the story of his brother that was in a MC accident so he wasn't on a chaplain call and it looked like he was brain dead. Wow, the hair on my neck stood up and I asked him if it happened in Ontario. He was real quiet and said yes.
The fact that my wife who is not the praying type prayed for God to ease his suffering, whatever his will brought a lot of comfort to him and his family as they ended up removing him from life support 2 days later.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

Have seen it often �

The epitome of supercilious arrogance.

Out of context, but may impress some of the viewers here. I have to ask this, are you still 'pissed' about the decision in the JT Scopes trial?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but good lord what we've become, I truly don't think Mickey meant a damn thing other than just a description of the poor woman he saw expire

My office manager for the last 15 years I was in business in Selma, AL was a black woman. In my relating of the incident involving a death I was afraid that some of you might have thought she was Shoshone. Just wanted to be safe.

I do appreciate all that responded on my behalf. Not a racist thought in the post....just telling the story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fatjack34
The real question is...Have you ever killed a dude or dudette? War does count...

Ran over a guy in the road one night that was passed out. He didn't make it to the ER. He was a white guy.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MColeman
but good lord what we've become, I truly don't think Mickey meant a damn thing other than just a description of the poor woman he saw expire

My office manager for the last 15 years I was in business in Selma, AL was a black woman. In my relating of the incident involving a death I was afraid that some of you might have thought she was Shoshone. Just wanted to be safe.

I do appreciate all that responded on my behalf. Not a racist thought in the post....just telling the story.

I'm sure there wasn't, but as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. My mother (88yrs old) does not use the N word anymore, she does not relate to Adam and Steveanymore. She has a grandson that's gay so she had to tuck that one in.
Yes our culture are different and like is said don't hate the sinner, just the sin. This applies here. Have a great day. FP

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. �

To the point of making that point of view the only allowable point of view?

Shouldn't that laudable ideal of tolerance work both ways?

Shouldn't anti-racists be as tolerant of racists
and shouldn't gays be as tolerant of anti-gays
as they want everyone to be tolerant of them?

(BTW, "tolerate" doesn't mean "approve.")

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. �

To the point of making that point of view the only allowable point of view?

Shouldn't that laudable ideal of tolerance work both ways?

Shouldn't anti-racists be as tolerant of racists
and shouldn't gays be as tolerant of anti-gays
as they want everyone to be tolerant of them?

(BTW, "tolerate" doesn't mean "approve.")

Tolerate means to allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference. Cognizant means having knowledge or being aware of.
These two words have a relationship in this context, level of awareness will dictate the level of interference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Yeah whitey lives in Canada where they don't have black folks laugh

Don't know whether that was tongue in cheek or if you just don't know what you're talking about.

Jim

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do you see the smiley at the end....

As for furprick, have you ever seen a person killed.

THAT is the subject, not this drivel you keep shoveling.

Keeping it up will get you a Travis greeting. The horse is dead already.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Do you see the smiley at the end....

As for furprick, have you ever seen a person killed.

THAT is the subject, not this drivel you keep shoveling.

Keeping it up will get you a Travis greeting. The horse is dead already.

Yes , was with my father when met his demise, worked on an ambulance when I was a late teen, and have seen dying, dead and the severely injured. All part of life, I take no pleasure or pain in it nor does it haunt me.
Dead horse , yup I'll move on.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
All this talk of racism and philosophy notwithstanding, I forgot about another one I saw pass. The guy had been skin diving alone, and they brought him to the ER trying to revive him right next to us ( was in there with an injured friend). It didn't work...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.