-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and we got a Georgia storm last night...somehow we all made it to work laugh even with all the Texan and Lousyanna and other southern workers up here...they learnt! smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever seen a parked tractor trailer rig blown over in a parking lot? laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I took these pictures on I59 near my house yesterday. These are OTR truck drivers that drive all over the country in all kinds of winter weather and they still ended up in the ditch. It wasn't 2" of snow, it was 2" of mix that turned to a solid sheet of ice overnight. None of you snickering Yankees would have done any better on it. I've lived all over the country & driven in all kinds of winter weather, these roads were the worst I've ever seen. 2' of fluffy snow in Minnesota isn't the same. I'd love to have seen some of those running their mouths about "southern drivers" come & show us how it's done. They'd be the first in the ditch.

The OTR truckers are normally the ones to start the pile up..As for your ice being different, well OK..Nearly every road out here besides the interstate is under ice most of the winter. But I'm sure folks who drive in those conditions every day dont have a clue, right?

Those pics are harsh! prayers sent.

Last edited by rosco1; 01/30/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These are OTR truck drivers that drive all over the country in all kinds of winter weather and they still ended up in the ditch. It wasn't 2" of snow, it was 2" of mix that turned to a solid sheet of ice overnight. None of you snickering Yankees would have done any better on it. I've lived all over the country & driven in all kinds of winter weather, these roads were the worst I've ever seen. 2' of fluffy snow in Minnesota isn't the same. I'd love to have seen some of those running their mouths about "southern drivers" come & show us how it's done. They'd be the first in the ditch.

You need to CALM DOWN,.....maybe go have a nap.

You're WAY over the line, posting this kinda' retarded nonsense in defense of some idiots that are Licensed, and trusted to KNOW better.

"OTR Drivers",.........not bloody likely, for what looks like a NORMAL day's weather in a vast region of this continent,....EVERY Winter.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Scott F
You are right, I don't know the first thing about driving on snow or ice.

Not many OTR tankers out and about and I cannot see chain racks on the van.

Why don't you come on down & offer up your vast experience next time. I'm sure we could use a few more sanctimonious experts to guide us.

Retired heavy hauler, that is 26 wheels and 105,500 GVW. Drove the passes into BC and AB. Have driven for days without seeing a black road. Drove on black ice across those same mountain passes. Spent at least a thousand miles on the slush and ice in those pictures. Never in a ditch, never had to be towed, never had a moving violation.

The trick is I did it all the time. Learned to drive in those conditions. Not fair to expect folks who don't see that kind of weather but once every five or so years to drive the same way.

How many time do truckers on a southern rout hang iron? I have done it six times in one day and that is chaining six drive tires and two or more drags. Only takes about fifteen minutes if you know what you are doing. Not a sanctimonious expert, gust know what I am talking about and not convinced those trucks pictured were experienced snow and ice drivers.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by eh76
and we got a Georgia storm last night...somehow we all made it to work laugh even with all the Texan and Lousyanna and other southern workers up here...they learnt! smile

I went on a spur of the moment pronghorn hunt a few years ago..Great timing, it took me around 5 hours to go from Rock Springs to Sinclair, one big sheet of ice..Tho not as slick as Mississippi ice i'm sure..Alltho it was slick enough I could physically push my F350 PSD sideways on it, learned that when I pulled over to piss..I'd say thats pretty slick.

There was another time that an early snow storm shut down south pass on september 15th, I made it thru the gate on the lander side, but when I made Farson the gate was down and a line of tourists were screaming bloody murder..One lady at the gas station thought it was bad enough for the national guard to be called out.

Must suck to be so dependent on others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute

Two and 1/2 to 3 inches of snow in Atlanta, Ga and the place is paralyzed for 2 days. We wouldn't even break out the plows for 2 1/2 inches. The real travesty is that half the population is blaming the government for not warning them and/or failing to clear thousands of miles of streets and highways within an hour or so. I live on the other side of this nation, and even I knew it was coming. Don't they have phones, radios, or TV's there?

This picture was taken the next morning on a neighborhood street. This is pretty much what every single square inch of roadway in North Georgia looked like 3 hours after the snow started falling - a sheet of ice that's anywhere from a half inch thick to an inch in a half.

[Linked Image]

Normally, they just close the schools if the forecast is for more than a dusting of snow. The forecast predicted a light dusting of snow and expected nothing of significance until after 4PM. Instead it started snowing heavily at 11am and it started sticking an hour later. All the school boards decided to let out schools - add 1.5 million cars, what could possibly go wrong.

You rarely if ever get snow that doesn't turn to a sheet of ice. Also, good you don't break out the plows we don't HAVE the plows. This city has grown from 2.5m people in 1980 to 6m in 2014. The majority of the populace are transplants from the Midwest and Northeast who have spent many years in cold climates. We've had many snows where it's nothing, just a powedered dusting and there are no incidents. This time was totally different, pure ICE almost immediately. We hear the same crap year after year from newbies to the area about how they can drive in it with no problems and quite a few of them get in accidents too, sometimes by their own doing other times from an out of control car.

I lived in Michigan in '98-'99 myself. Drove in thick snow plenty of times. The ice in Atlanta on Tuesday was nothing at all like anything I've ever driven in Michigan, Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming. You can have solid ice, I'll stay home.

People died, interstates gridlocked literally for 24 hours and people had to sleep in cars in Birmingham and Atlanta because of all the wrecks big rigs that couldn't be moved and there simply was no way to reroute people. Kids had to sleep at school and some were trapped on buses miles from home until the wee hours of the morning.

I see nothing comedic or wimpy about people's suffering but then again I saw it, yanked people out of ditches all day long, and shuttled stranded people home as opposed to armchair quarterbacking from a small town 2000 miles away.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
These are OTR truck drivers that drive all over the country in all kinds of winter weather and they still ended up in the ditch. It wasn't 2" of snow, it was 2" of mix that turned to a solid sheet of ice overnight. None of you snickering Yankees would have done any better on it. I've lived all over the country & driven in all kinds of winter weather, these roads were the worst I've ever seen. 2' of fluffy snow in Minnesota isn't the same. I'd love to have seen some of those running their mouths about "southern drivers" come & show us how it's done. They'd be the first in the ditch.

You're WAY over the line, posting this kinda' retarded nonsense in defense of some idiots that are Licensed, and trusted to KNOW better.

"OTR Drivers",.........not bloody likely, for what looks like a NORMAL day's weather in a vast region of this continent,....EVERY Winter.

Maybe so, but there are some mavericks out there, and they cause lots of trouble..Aint talking out my azz here, I drove wrecker for a few years, a famous hill close to here called rattlesnake is a killer, and usually someone bare footing up or down it too fast.

I do agree with Scott tho, those trucks in the pics dont look like an OTR rig during the winter months.

Last edited by rosco1; 01/30/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep...South Pass can be rather sporty in winter. I hunt antelope east and south of Farson. Got snowed in in Rock Springs the year I sent my oldest of to the Marine Corps. Youngest son and I went antelope hunting and passed on 2 good bucks because it was raining...little did we know....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by 1minute

Two and 1/2 to 3 inches of snow in Atlanta, Ga and the place is paralyzed for 2 days. We wouldn't even break out the plows for 2 1/2 inches. The real travesty is that half the population is blaming the government for not warning them and/or failing to clear thousands of miles of streets and highways within an hour or so. I live on the other side of this nation, and even I knew it was coming. Don't they have phones, radios, or TV's there?

This picture was taken the next morning on a neighborhood street. This is pretty much what every single square inch of roadway in North Georgia looked like 3 hours after the snow started falling - a sheet of ice that's anywhere from a half inch thick to an inch in a half.

[Linked Image]

Normally, they just close the schools if the forecast is for more than a dusting of snow. The forecast predicted a light dusting of snow and expected nothing of significance until after 4PM. Instead it started snowing heavily at 11am and it started sticking an hour later. All the school boards decided to let out schools - add 1.5 million cars, what could possibly go wrong.

You rarely if ever get snow that doesn't turn to a sheet of ice. Also, good you don't break out the plows we don't HAVE the plows. This city has grown from 2.5m people in 1980 to 6m in 2014. The majority of the populace are transplants from the Midwest and Northeast who have spent many years in cold climates. We've had many snows where it's nothing, just a powedered dusting and there are no incidents. This time was totally different, pure ICE almost immediately. We hear the same crap year after year from newbies to the area about how they can drive in it with no problems and quite a few of them get in accidents too, sometimes by their own doing other times from an out of control car.

I lived in Michigan in '98-'99 myself. Drove in thick snow plenty of times. The ice in Atlanta on Tuesday was nothing at all like anything I've ever driven in Michigan, Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming. You can have solid ice, I'll stay home.

People died, interstates gridlocked literally for 24 hours and people had to sleep in cars in Birmingham and Atlanta because of all the wrecks big rigs that couldn't be moved and there simply was no way to reroute people. Kids had to sleep at school and some were trapped on buses miles from home until the wee hours of the morning.

I see nothing comedic or wimpy about people's suffering but then again I saw it, yanked people out of ditches all day long, and shuttled stranded people home as opposed to armchair quarterbacking from a small town 2000 miles away.

Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work wink What I bolded in your post is comedic..people crash, wreck, get stuck because of their own stupidity...simple as that. Laws of physics haven't changed since the beginning of time. Armchair quarterbacking? You are a part time comedian ? Don't give up your day job......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many drivers who have 4wd think it is the key to going (and, it may be) but they don't realize it usually gives little or no assist with stopping, and that is where most of the problems occur. Folks just drive too fast for the conditions and usually that will get you in the ditch, or worse.

Had to drive in most varieties of winter stuff early life in PA and later in the PNW and mountain west, and I feel that the quick developing sheet ice causes extra problems for most people. However, experience driving in such stuff, and the seat of the pants wisdom most sensible folks gain by doing it, makes a big difference when the conditions get so bad.

The average person in the southeast doesn't have such experience and, in the Atlanta situation, it seems clear that not much wisdom was applied to either prep or driving. Seemingly they can't conceive of the idea of sitting somewhere and staying off of the roads in a storm, and a whole lot of them could not figure out how to drive so they could stop as needed. Their blaming/complaining about the government guys is a lousy excuse for weak individual performance.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do know what the hell I am talking about. Been there, done that, lived to tell about it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

My truck on the Crowsnest Pass. Google it.
[Linked Image]

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You absolutely had to be here to actually appreciate the severity. It was literally a sheet of ice and gridlock. I know folks at Blue who didn't get home for 24 hours and many who actually slept in their cars.

Just think millions of fair weather folks dropped into the North Pole with their cars and SUV's. shocked

Plows were of no use. If anything, they made it worse.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1

Maybe so, but there are some mavericks out there, and they cause lots of trouble..Aint talking out my azz here, I drove wrecker for a few years, a famous hill close to here called rattlesnake is a killer, and usually someone bare footing up or down it too fast.

I do agree with Scott tho, those trucks in the pics dont look like an OTR rig during the winter months.

I remember the first time I came down the hill on I80 into Salt Lake in the winter. Every bridge was like a carnival ride with 45,000 pounds of bottled water helping me along.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I admit, trying to get around ATL or Birm in an ice storm would be nearly impossible..hell its nearly impossible in good weather.

Birmingham would be a special nightmare with all the hills, some pretty good slopes in that city.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't heard anybody mention sand and salt? You don't plow ice, you sprinkle sand and salt on it.....

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76

Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work wink What I bolded in your post is comedic..people crash, wreck, get stuck because of their own stupidity...simple as that. Laws of physics haven't changed since the beginning of time. Armchair quarterbacking? You are a part time comedian ? Don't give up your day job......

So you drove on a crowded interstate with 1.5 million other cars this morning trying to get home so their kids aren't trapped at school or alone mostly in passenger cars with summer tires? Sorry - I call bullshit on that...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
You absolutely had to be here to actually appreciate the severity. It was literally a sheet of ice and gridlock. I know folks at Blue who didn't get home for 24 hours and many who actually slept in their cars.

Just think millions of fair weather folks dropped into the North Pole with their cars and SUV's. shocked

Plows were of no use. If anything, they made it worse.

So youse guys don't know the coefficient of friction reduces with ice? smile Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work shocked Neanderthals....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by rosco1

I remember the first time I came down the hill on I80 into Salt Lake in the winter. Every bridge was like a carnival ride with 45,000 pounds of bottled water helping me along.

Scott, they have a "death counter" road sign on that stretch now, I cant remember what its up to this year, but it gives you the pucker factor going down that canyon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have common ground,......I owned and operated a Towing and Recovery outfit in Alberta.

Know Roger's Pass WELL,......
Lake Louise
Sunshine
Kananaskis
Scott Lake Hill, West of Calgary,....etc.

WTF were the Ga. HIGHWAY PATROL,.....and WTF did they not CLOSE the highways , immediately the conditions went that bad, or more savvy-like ....BEFORE ?

Poor management, this.

Note that I did not say government,........THAT is what CAUSES this kinda' chit.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,575
Posts18,510,821
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.