-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing wrong with Tupperware for that application. I don't own a 260 never had. But I had and shot and still shoot a 6.5 x 55. You would have to shoot a few Arks full of herbivores to be able to tell the difference between a 270 and a 6.5. I call my swede a pocket 270. Its winter, its cold in most places in the lower 48. I got a broken ankle so what else is there to do but to talk on the fire. This is what we do. For a big game hunter its really a toss up, I would lean toward the 270/ 7mm RM because ever gas station in areas where big game is hunted, you will more likely than not find a box of those should the need arise, not aways the case with the newer commercial cartridges like the 260.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever notice all the comparison's to the 270 winchester, this one is better, that one is better. The 270 just rocks from this layman's point of view. Put cross hairs on animal, pull trigger, bang and dead animal. Pretty simple really. grin

Yes I know there are a lot of cartridges that will almost do the same thing. laugh

Last edited by raybass; 01/30/14. Reason: duh moment

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
gm -

Sorry to hear about your ankle >> get well soon.

Yes sir, it's COLD here too. We've been in the single and double digits at night with hi's in the 20-30s AND wind. Today we made it to 50* but wind at 25-30 mph.

I've had 270s since the mid 70s and have multiple 270s today. I also HAVE a 6.5X55 that's a sweet rifle and shoots well.

My experience is similar to Prairie Goat's. The Win 70 with 22" bll. has NOT given the velocities 'TOUTED' here. I'm using 129 H Ils and 2800-2850 fps is about tops. I can get between 2900 and 3000 fps with 150 gr 270s.

OTOH the 270 Win with 130s >> 3100 fps is 'common' and easily attained.

I prefer the higher vel. and 'flatter' trajectories. I like and hunt my Swede but it ain't a 270 Win.

That difference is real in trajectory and retained energy.

I agree with you as well, just try to find 260 Rem or 6.5X55 ammo in A LOT of places near good hunting areas.

I will STOP right here before rant begins.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if the 260 will pick up a little steam with Remington introducing the SPS 260 with an 8 twist 24" barrel for *one* year <<< that is just my guess but they do have a history of introducing good stuff and killing it soon thereafter.

Dave

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob, do you not find it amusing that todays Loonie are still trying to find something to compare to or compete against an 89 year old design smile

Randy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Randy if we haven't found something that improves on the 270 Winchester in 89 years of trying, then shame on us. smile

Generally I think they have but it's funny how it takes a lot of modern technological tweaks to do it; yet when the same things are applied to a 270.....well....then it isn't somehow kosher. grin

The BC's won't hold up...(how do they know this?)....comparing a 150 gr 270 with a .625 BC to a 140 Berger at .618 isn't fair( Well shidt don't blame me! Tell Berger!)

And a .625 BC is fabulous in 7mm;smart shooters build rifles around it! I shoot a lot of 162 Amax myself these days.

But..... give a 270 bullet a .625 BC and the sniping begins! grin

NOW, it's only "one bullet" (I have never been able to fit more than one bullet down the bore at one time. If it's fine to concentrate on a 162 Amax in 7mm, why is it not OK to do the same thing with a .625 bullet in a 270?)..... and the BC won't hold up and the twist is too slow(easily remedied with nothing more than a check payable to Krieger, and a 9 twist 277 barrel is yours!).

So, we are expected to look at the 270 the same way, leave it with slower twists, use standard old bullets with modest BC's, while critics stack the deck with other cartridges/bullets that are faster and with higher BC's.... and then say the 270 sucks. Mmmmm....... smile Something about that is not exactly kosher to my way of thinking. frown

We'll set aside, for the moment, that the 270 Winchester with shidt bullets has slapped more game into the freezer or put more trophies on the wall than any 6 of many of the pets on here combined.

Talk this stuff up, and suddenly you are "jamming" the 270 down everyone 's throats....not the case. Just pointing out flawed thinking. If you are na�ve enough to have anything on here jammed down your throat, you need to get out and kill more animals with more stuff.

No, I suspect that many folks are simply resistant to change.....get entrenched in beliefs, been doing things a certain way with certain things, and the thought that something as old as the 270 could be brought to modern standards does not resonate. It's just too old to ever be modern....interesting. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/31/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post Bob!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
If you are na�ve enough to have anything on here jammed down your throat, you need to get out and kill more animals with more stuff.

Bob, good post but you do realize that exactly the same point could be made from the other side of the coin?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe the 6.5x55 is older than the .270 Win..... is it not? As is the 7x57 on the other side. The .270 has always been sandwiched between two better rounds.... and marketed as a solution to a problem that never existed... because it doesn't use the metric system. You could go so far as to say the .270 is a racist and anti-European statement round. "Buy a .270 or a .30-06..... don't be a commie."

So, the .270 never quite lived up to the thunder it was trying to steal. They did chamber it in an iconic POS, the 'Rifleman's Rifle'.... that got it kick started. But if JOC hadn't been roped into pimping it (which he hated, the .270 wasn't even his favorite cartridge)... it'd have gone the way of the Lee Navy.

6.5s have (and continue to) put way more fur in the dirt worldwide.... than the .270.... even with you and Billy carrying the torch now. Same with 7s....

I guess sucking hind tit is the best thing the .270 does. Will it kill schitt? Yep, pretty well..... I could even slum one if I had to. But it's hamstringing one's self... intentionally.... kinda like picking the old school hiking boots, rather than the gortex Lowas that are right next to them on the shelf.... just because those are the same boots JOC wore. They're heavier, leaky, and tougher on the feet.... but hey, they work, and have that old school cool.

Technology is your friend my friend.... embrace it. There's nothing wrong with the .270.... they're just building it better now.... they call it the .260.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Randy if we haven't found something that improves on the 270 Winchester in 89 years of trying, then shame on us. smile

Generally I think they have but it's funny how it takes a lot of modern technological tweaks to do it; yet when the same things are applied to a 270.....well....then it isn't somehow kosher. grin

The BC's won't hold up...(how do they know this?)....comparing a 150 gr 270 with a .625 BC to a 140 Berger at .618 isn't fair( Well shidt don't blame me! Tell Berger!)

And a .625 BC is fabulous in 7mm;smart shooters build rifles around it! I shoot a lot of 162 Amax myself these days.

But..... give a 270 bullet a .625 BC and the sniping begins! grin

NOW, it's only "one bullet" (I have never been able to fit more than one bullet down the bore at one time. If it's fine to concentrate on a 162 Amax in 7mm, why is it not OK to do the same thing with a .625 bullet in a 270?)..... and the BC won't hold up and the twist is too slow(easily remedied with nothing more than a check payable to Krieger, and a 9 twist 277 barrel is yours!).

So, we are expected to look at the 270 the same way, leave it with slower twists, use standard old bullets with modest BC's, while critics stack the deck with other cartridges/bullets that are faster and with higher BC's.... and then say the 270 sucks. Mmmmm....... smile Something about that is not exactly kosher to my way of thinking. frown

We'll set aside, for the moment, that the 270 Winchester with shidt bullets has slapped more game into the freezer or put more trophies on the wall than any 6 of many of the pets on here combined.

Talk this stuff up, and suddenly you are "jamming" the 270 down everyone 's throats....not the case. Just pointing out flawed thinking. If you are na�ve enough to have anything on here jammed down your throat, you need to get out and kill more animals with more stuff.

No, I suspect that many folks are simply resistant to change.....get entrenched in beliefs, been doing things a certain way with certain things, and the thought that something as old as the 270 could be brought to modern standards does not resonate. It's just too old to ever be modern....interesting. grin

Bob - All this logic is somewhat ironic, coming from a guy who champions a medium game cartridge that was brought out when we already had the 6.5X55. smile

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I believe the 6.5x55 is older than the .270 Win..... is it not? As is the 7x57 on the other side. The .270 has always been sandwiched between two better rounds.... and marketed as a solution to a problem that never existed... because it doesn't use the metric system. You could go so far as to say the .270 is a racist and anti-European statement round. "Buy a .270 or a .30-06..... don't be a commie."

So, the .270 never quite lived up to the thunder it was trying to steal. They did chamber it in an iconic POS, the 'Rifleman's Rifle'.... that got it kick started. But if JOC hadn't been roped into pimping it (which he hated, the .270 wasn't even his favorite cartridge)... it'd have gone the way of the Lee Navy.

6.5s have (and continue to) put way more fur in the dirt worldwide.... than the .270.... even with you and Billy carrying the torch now. Same with 7s....

I guess sucking hind tit is the best thing the .270 does. Will it kill schitt? Yep, pretty well..... I could even slum one if I had to. But it's hamstringing one's self... intentionally.... kinda like picking the old school hiking boots, rather than the gortex Lowas that are right next to them on the shelf.... just because those are the same boots JOC wore. They're heavier, leaky, and tougher on the feet.... but hey, they work, and have that old school cool.

Technology is your friend my friend.... embrace it. There's nothing wrong with the .270.... they're just building it better now.... they call it the .260.

Bizarre. grin

Reminds me of the revisionist history taught in schools today.

Looking at the numbers: 260-140 Berger .618 BC @ 2800 fps; 200 yard zero,10 mph wind:

Drop at 1000- 283.6. Drift- 67.3"

270-150 gr ABLR .625 BC @ 2900 fps; 200 yard zero.

Drop at 1000-260.1" Drift 62.9".

Is .625 BC only ".625 BC" in a 6.5-140 or 7mm-162, but not in .277-150? confused

The comparison may not be "fair"....the 270 is faster outta the box. frown

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/31/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So the .270 is older than both?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 270 is older than the 260, but not the 6.5x55 or 7x57. WTH does that have to do anything - aren't all three are pretty damn old?

Google up some of the arguments on the euro hunting websites and you may be shocked to find they bich about the same things we do on here when comparing the 270 to the 6.5x55. Most, I imagine, are gravitating to the 270 for the extra velocity, etc. etc. Although, it seems one standout euro cartridge that is holding ground in its niche and gaining even more popularity world wide (even the US)is the 9.3x62. I was shocked to find out that they are as high on the magnum speed stuff as most are on this side of the pond because no matter which way you look at it speed is attractive. The 270's speed offers this in a standard cartridge that kills without beating you silly unlike most of the uberboomermclouden magnum cartridges available.

My friend has a 260 and I LOVE shooting it! But I like easy and stress free, which the 270 has all over the 260, especially when it comes to hunting cartridges and all encompassing murphy variables considered.

Speaking of the 270 and 9.3x62, the bullets designed for these two (until very recently) were designed with these two specific cartridges in mind. Hell this even applies to the rifles chambered for them - how many problems exist for the 7x57 when it comes to its differences in figuring out how to throat the chamber and lengthening the magazine and action among the factory manufacturers that do so? All the other calibers that exist have to contend with all the extra cartridges dipping into the pool. Look at the multiple 6.5 chamberings for instance, 6.5BR to the 6.5Nosler pulls from the 6.5 caliber bullets and every bullet made has constraints when stretched across the full spectrum which likely falls to the wayside for most folks who are not rifle loonies; when you look at the .277 bullets they are made for 6.8 SPC, 270 and wsm cartridges specifically.

Last edited by 4winds; 01/31/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I actually feel dumber after having read this shidt.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the 270 is truly American and anti other stuff, then I'm going to run a 270!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Question: Have you ever owned and killed anything with a 270?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am kinda pissed off at 6.5BR for starting this crap. wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LMAO - wink Your welcome!

In all fairness, truth, I have run both, and the Swede, 7/08, 7BR, 7RM, 243, - they all killed fine when I did my part.

PG - no doubt, grab an accurate properly sighted rifle w/good loads and Get R Done!

I think rifle choice - inc. Short vs long action, and recoil tolerance is where it falls. Never yet owned a 7x57, but I have seen some nice ones that get me thinking. That said not much cannot be fell with a properly placed 6.5 if not .277 for that matter. Even a 6mm slug will get the deed done fine - my furthest WT deer was 400 yds, stumbled 25 yds after a 105 Amax turned his lungs into Cambell's soup, golf ball sized exit, started over 28.5 Varget at 2850 mv - 6mm Benchrest.

Shot placement w/a good bullet is where it's at, that said, I enjoy practicing more with a lighter recoiling round, and get more rounds downrange in a session without resorting to a excess blast or recoil.

For a non-reloader, I will concede a 270 in America is akin to a 6.5x55 or 7x57 overseas.....they must go bang or it really is all only MM (mental ....)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A big cutoff I see is whether or not the rifle is going to be used on elk. Specifically big bull elk.

To me, the 260 isn't the best for that proposition. Not that it can't do the job, but when it's loaded with what I would consider "elk bullets", the velocity is down there where the trajectory starts to suck.

Load it with lighter bullets for a flat trajectory, and it starts to get into the "I'd better wait for a perfect broadside shot" situation (though some of the TTSX offerings and the like help a bunch here). This doesn't always occur with elk, especially if they're brushed up.

If those sorts of game are not a primary use of the rifle, then go for it. But I'll take a bit more bullet with a bit more speed for the big guys.

And please refrain from the "6.5s have been used for years in Scandinavia" story, as I've heard it before. Those fellows aren't likely hunting the same way we do....namely having the possibility of picking a rutting, jacked up bull out of a herd in a park, to tracking a lone bull through the fresh snow in a blow down hellhole where all you might get is an azzshot at 40 yards, to making a 500 yard shot across a canyon, all of which could occur within a matter of hours and a mile of country. More power to the guys who choose to go light; I see no problem with a smaller 6.5 when wielded correctly. But it's just not what I want for an all around big game rifle for the west.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 01/31/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This kind of question and arguments is amusing but it mostly lght and heat with little difference in application. Fact is, there's a quantium difference in potential between the old .270 and "new" .260 but for most of it's rational uses the .260 is over kill and the .270 is over kill but dead is dead and they both do that quite nicely most of the time.

The real differences in common hunting cartridge comparisons lie at the trajectory at their respective effective ranges and their way-down range thump. And at their extremes, the .260 is a weinie compaired to the .270. As is the .270 compaired to the .338. Etc.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 58 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,810
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.