doo-wop music."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by contender
Thinking about getting a Remington R1 .45ACP and need some
recommendations (or not). If this has been addressed before, I
can't find it. Comments on accuracy and dependability? Thanks
The Remingtons came out just about the time Remington was getting flamed out on these forums for poor quality, especially after the acquisition of Marlin. I've never heard anything bad about the Remington pistols. I've fondled some fondly, but haven't ever took the plunge. No experience here, but they look good. Everybody seems to favor the Rugers here. I've owned two Taurus PT1911's. They're in the same price range and are full of features. No problems with either of mine. Not real proud of the Taurus brand and they ain't made here. Still, I got no complaints.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have read about a 9MM Remington pistol coming out, but not a .45

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

http://1911r1.com/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't look it up but the 1911 Remington must have been out two or three years by now.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by contender
Thinking about getting a Remington R1 .45ACP and need some
recommendations (or not). If this has been addressed before, I
can't find it. Comments on accuracy and dependability? Thanks

I've got a good friend that purchased their "Custom Carry" model---he loves it. It's by far the best equipped model that they make IMO. I found a used Enhanced Model at a LGS at a good price and bought it. The slide to frame fit was excellent, the trigger was "mushy." Eventually the trigger started to "hang up" and then "click" forward into contact with the disconnector/sear as if you started the trigger pull with the grip safety not engaged and then engaged it. To make a long story intolerable, the Series 80 lever broke off:
[Linked Image]

I have no idea how that part would be stressed, but the facts don't lie. In disassembling the gun the plunger had weird grooves gouged into it:
[Linked Image]

.....all I can figure is that there was a burr in the plunger recess that caused it to hang up (or down in this case) and eventually the added drag caused the lever to break as additional force was needed to move the plunger. That drag must have been the "click" that was felt on the trigger prep I guess.

Anyway, I took all of the Series 80 crap out of the gun and sold it (with full disclosure) to a gunshop.

The accuracy in terms of group-size was ok, however the gun shot FAR to the right. On closer examination (which I should have done when I initially purchased the gun), the front sight was mounted to the far left side of the dove tail (it didn't "drift" there as it was tight as a drum). It's the only gun on which I've ever had to have the front sight centered. Being a fiber optic front sight (and therefore relatively fragile) I didn't want to attempt it myself so took it to a gunsmith.

AFAIK, mine was an isolated "bad apple" but you asked for personal opinions---there's mine.

Last edited by gmoats; 01/29/14.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've never heard anything bad about the Remington pistols.

I have. Stay away. Those idiots don't have a clue how to build a 1911, and won't listen to those who do. This ain't no rumor, and no, I didn't read it on the internet.

If I could not afford a Baer or a DW Valor, I'd buy a Springfield Range Officer.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/29/14. Reason: spellin'
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think it's a poor buy. The basic R-1 has none of the features other similarly priced pistols have, and those are what I happily paid to have done to the Colts in years gone by. After looking at them for awhile, I've decided to go Ruger or Springfield, if I buy another 1911.
Of course, the Colt I have now is just fine, so I'm not doing anything anytime soon.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
G
I got a 1911 r1 last summer and it's great. Not a single problem only thing I did was change to Wilson Mags. Accuracy is good about a 3" group at 25 yds (I'm not any great pistol shot).The trigger on mine is great for a 80 series. My opinion is there good factory 1911's I would say there on par with Para's and Springfield's for quality.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I like my R1 Enhanced and have had no problems with it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

New 9mm is the R51. Not much info up yet on the website. I'd like to handle one.

http://www.remington.com/en/pages/n...onEntersConcealedCarryHandgunMarket.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxaKOVKlOY

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/17/s...ngfield-sig-taurus-sw-walther-remington/

Last edited by shootem; 02/01/14.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shootem

New 9mm is the R51. Not much info up yet on the website. I'd like to handle one...

.....you will be grossly underwhelmed if the ones that they had at the SHOT show were typical of what they're going to deliver. The action (slide to frame) and trigger felt very much like dragging a brick across a cinder block. It's a great idea poorly executed-----another manufacturer could possibly make it viable, but I'm afraid that Remington's quality is just too far down the tubes to rise to the occasion.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem

New 9mm is the R51. Not much info up yet on the website. I'd like to handle one.

http://www.remington.com/en/pages/n...onEntersConcealedCarryHandgunMarket.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxaKOVKlOY

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/17/s...ngfield-sig-taurus-sw-walther-remington/

thanks,that is the one I was thinking about.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 52 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,898
Posts18,498,062
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.