Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChipM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well I know SAS started this and actually helped me order mine. Finally had a chance to pick it up yesterday and look it over. Fit and finish are excellent, mine is also a 7mm-08 and like SAS's is blued action with stainless barrel. The bolt lift and action are a bit stiff and rough but hoping that will loosen up and smooth out over a little time. The grip area has quite a bit of drop but reminds me of my Weatherby's and something I do prefer, the length of pull is a little longer than I prefer and again, a Weatherby stock which I believe standard at 13-3/8 fits a bit better for me.

I will post pics later on but one thing that did bother me is that I ordered it with a Forest Green stock, when Forbes called me they said there was a snafu and they did not spray enough stocks Forest Green and built it with a charcoal grey stock. I was not happy but accepted it and after receiving glad I did. It looks very sharp and has a bit of speckle to it which I do not think will show in pixs but is very sharp with the blued action/stainless barrel.

More to follow

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My bolt lift is stiff as well. The action smoothed up after cleaning and cycling about 300 times. I don't know of it was the finish on the rails or the milled follower needed some "polish".

I'm betting yours shoots. FWIW -- I like the gray stock too!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Nula's all came with a stiff bolt lift. I'm guessing because of full contact of the lugs.

A couple words of caution. Keep them well lubed in that they will gall easily.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I use just a small drop of synthetic motor oil on the locking lugs ..Melvin uses some kind of grease on them..I use a toothpick to put the oil on..

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How do they feed and eject?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Feeding on mine is awesome. You can drop a piece of empty brass on the follower and it feeds to perfection every time.

Ejection is strong -- and it doesn't hit the cover on the scope windage dial. I've heard this was an issue on a few NULA's, so this is something I watched for.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really liking the looks of the Forbes 20B. I like the looks of some of their custom stock options. I might just have to get rid of some "stuff" I am not shooting.

Dale

The more you know, the less you need.
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Feeding on mine is awesome. You can drop a piece of empty brass on the follower and it feeds to perfection every time.

Ejection is strong -- and it doesn't hit the cover on the scope windage dial. I've heard this was an issue on a few NULA's, so this is something I watched for.

That is good to hear. My 24B is the opposite on both accounts. Won't feed from magazine, and ejects into the scope...even without a scope it nearly hits the rear ring...comes flying out though. It is heading back for a tune up.

It does seem accurate from the first range session.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to have to stop reading Post$$$$

Geez - smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by djpepper
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

That is good to hear. My 24B is the opposite on both accounts. Won't feed from magazine, and ejects into the scope...even without a scope it nearly hits the rear ring...comes flying out though. It is heading back for a tune up.

It does seem accurate from the first range session.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of scope are you using?

IC B3

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tried two: First was a Minox ZA5 2-10x40...brass would hit and land in action. Second was Leupold FXIII 6x42 (standard knobs), brass would hit then bounce off ejection port and land outside.

No scope and just rings, the brass comes winging back, just missing the ring. Comparing it to a Rem 700, which goes out flatter and more perpendicular to the action.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 24B in 30-06 with your second scope, a Leupold 6x42, and after 40 rounds have had no issues. What cartridge is yours?

I hope that Forbes will make it right for you. They have been very responsive when I've had questions for them.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
30-06 as well. I have no doubt they will fix it up. It will go back to the Canadian distributor, Prophet River. They have been quick to respond.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bolt lift on my Forbes 24B .270 Win. was initially stiff but is improving with use. Some roughness on the rails initially caused a gritty feel while feeding and scored cases. Careful application of a ceramic stone has largely solved this issue although not yet quite to perfection.

For an out of the box rifle accuracy has been outstanding and feeding, extraction and ejection have been flawless.

Although it is lighter and stiffer, the Forbes stock is bulky compared to the stock on my 7-08 Montana. I also prefer the thinner, more open wrist of the Kimber. I do very much like the slightly heavier barrel of the Forbes - really settles things down.

Although I really like the Kimber 84M's I believe that the my Montana may go on down the road and that the 24B will become my go-to backpacking rifle.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 02/01/14.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Although I really like the Kimber 84M's I believe that the my Montana may go on down the road and that the 24B will become my go-to backpacking rifle.
Let me know when you want to send it down the road.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Forbes in 25/06 also doesn't eject very well.....has actually left some cases in the chamber.

Forbes is supposed to send me a label to send it in, but I think I got lost in the SHOT show madness, I will get back with them soon.

Double_D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.