Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gaswamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I have an old Weaver 3 x 9 with AO made in El Paso that has some issues. I was wondering if it was worth sending in to Iron Sight Inc. for repair?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Leupold fixes Leupold scopes for free.

Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ste_vel

Now there is a relevant and helpful post.

To answer the OP, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a period correct scope fore a particular project, It may well be worth it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would add to what McMurph said and also da that it depends on the EXACT model of Weaver scope.

If it is one of the 1960s versions with the plastic AO ring.. Forget it. Not worth fixing.

If it is one of the of the 1970s All steel or Steel lite LL scopes then it WOULD maybe worth servicing if you really wanted that scope on your rifle..

These days, the cost of fixing the many of older Weavers is more than their value.

A pic of your scope would help.

G
gaswamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

yes I have Leupold scopes and love them but that is not relevant to my question

IC B2

G
gaswamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by jk16
I would add to what McMurph said and also da that it depends on the EXACT model of Weaver scope.

If it is one of the 1960s versions with the plastic AO ring.. Forget it. Not worth fixing.

If it is one of the of the 1970s All steel or Steel lite LL scopes then it WOULD maybe worth servicing if you really wanted that scope on your rifle..

These days, the cost of fixing the many of older Weavers is more than their value.

A pic of your scope would help.

worth vs value vs cost....No doubt. It is all steel. Just trying to figure out if I would be disappointed in the optics after spending the money compared to todays optics. However the scope was my father in laws and thought maybe the kids would appreciate it someday

Last edited by gaswamp; 02/02/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
From a pure value vs. results factor it's probably not the most economical thing to get an old Weaver fixed. But from the sentimental side it may be worth it to you, you have to decide. Also realize that you will never get the money you spend fixing it out of it but then again it doesn't sound like that matters to you. I've "wasted" plenty of money on sentimental things and never regretted it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several places work on Weavers. I'd shop around a bit. Prices can vary greatly. So can quality of work/warranty....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh, you paid for it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Oh, you paid for it.

Oh no- It's "free"..

Just like Obamacare is "free".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If u already have it then it's probably marginally worth fixing. The optics are ok but nothing like what you get from a new leupold. I got an old k4 fixed with iron sight and it took a year, the optics are fine til it gets low light then you start getting a little handicapped. But I hunt hogs in texas at night but for deer 30 minutes after sunset it's mostly ok, just not as bright as newer scopes. Mostly I stick with the leupold so or zeiss unless I have a rifle that somehow seems to fit with a vintage weaver.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one that went belly up for the second time, I'm not going to fix it. If fogged back in the mid 80's and the guy in Texas rebuilt it. That's still holding but now the adjustments don't seem to move right, although they seem to hold once in place.

I already yanked it off the hunting rifle it was on, I might put it on my 10/22 since that only goes to range. Sight it in and leave it alone. But I'm not paying to fix it, I'd rather have a newer scope for hunting.

Dale

This space for rent

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O

I have a friend that has a leupold that won't hold a zero. He's had it on different rifles with different mounts with the same results. It's been back to Leupold twice and it's still not right. Now I'll admit this is rare but it does happen.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had Iron Sight in Tulsa repair an old El Paso K-8. Cost $80 and took a year. The K-8 MAY be worth $80. I haven't mounted and used it.

DF

G
gaswamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
thanks for the feedback guys. I'm leaning toward not getting it refurbished.

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smart move! I had an old K-10 repaired, wasn't worth it. There are tons of decent optics available for not much more than the repair bill.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
First centerfire scope I ever had was a Weaver. Think it was 2.5-7x?? Bought it in the 1970s but that's about all I remember about it.....except the optics. When light was dim it was all over. You'll find better optics on a current clamshell pack Tasco for $39.99 than these old Weavers. YMMV

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a K10 restored by Iron sight, about $85, took 14 Mo.
When the gentleman called to tell me it was shipped, he said they had between 1000 and 1200 scopes waiting to be repaired at all times.

http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

[Linked Image]
G
gaswamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by ClaysEtc
I had a K10 restored by Iron sight, about $85, took 14 Mo.
When the gentleman called to tell me it was shipped, he said they had between 1000 and 1200 scopes waiting to be repaired at all times.

http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

were you happy with the scope? Would you do it again?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back when Mr. Ruiz would make them better than new for $20 in 3-4 weeks, yes. Nowadays, no!

We live in a throw away world. Spend a little extra for brands that warranty their stuff forever.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.