Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry if I am beating a dead horse. What say you?

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For long trips I like Tuffpack. You can fit 2 or more rifles and lot of stuff in it(it will be heavy) but it has wheels and most people don't realize it contains firearms.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
For long trips I like Tuffpack. You can fit 2 or more rifles and lot of stuff in it(it will be heavy) but it has wheels and most people don't realize it contains firearms.

I've never flown with a rifle before, but in preparation for a possible safari I purchased at a Safari Club auction a Tuffpak a couple of years ago. I will be trying it in May. smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tuffpak.
I have taken mine on numerous trips to Canada, other parts of the USA and Africa once.
I don't think there is a better option for multiple guns plus some gear, or one gun and more gear/clothes.

I have had mine well over 10 years.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I took a tuffpak too. Worked great and holds a bunch

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I finally sold my Tuff Pak, which was a pre-TSA lock model.

Yeah, they hold a bunch of stuff, alright, but having to haul it all out for rifle inspections and repack everything is a real PITA, especially if you are in a hurry. Even with the inner sack, it was more trouble for me at least, than it was worth. I've since gone to using ICC aluminum cases, with no problems at all.
If you have a lot of stuff in your Tuff Pak in addition to your rifle(s), it never gets re-packed the way you had it all carefully organized when you left home.

If you are flying within the US, on direct flights, it might be okay, with only one airline inspection per flight to deal with. I used mine on a couple of international trips, involving plane changes, customs inspections, etc., which are a different story.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've used a Pelican 1750 for 2 trips to TX, one to AK, and a cousin used it on a fairly long train journey. Once from TX and from AK we've shipped the case w/2 guns inside home. So far, a shotgun and 5 different rifles have made it to/from destinations without any trouble. Pard has the same rifle case and has used it to travel from TX to ND a couple times, TX to AK once, and shipped stuff from TX to ND a couple times as well. Again, things made it to/from without any issue.

I realize that these weren't int'l flights, but, all of the trips involved connecting domestic flights through hub airports in MLPS, HOU, DVR, ANC, and FBK. In the case of AK we were on 4 commercial planes before getting into bush planes. In the cases of shipping we've used Fed Ex, USPS, and UPS.

Last edited by horse1; 02/02/14.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bighorn,

Your experience is exactly as most peoples. Odd that on the internet people only seen to report the minority of great experience. Rarely see the majority posting the struggles.

I travel back and forth frequently. The amount of really PO'd guys watching TSA stuff and jam everything back into those tuff paks is disturbing. The amount of worn off bluing on guns and the anodized finishes rubbed off scopes is actually not unusual.

Folks can fit and pack everything carefully at home, but odds are if TSA cannot see every detail in that case it's all coming back out on the inspection table. With dozens of cases lined up to inspect in time for their departing flights these guys don't have the care or concern the original packing had. I have seen more then one TSA guy staring at things not yet packed and the case was full. They start shoving and stuffing and getting angry because now they have to pull it all back out and try again.

They don't ever that I have seen simply slide the gun out and check only the gun. They take everything out. Think about how many times they open a simple two rifle case and check under the foam or even pull the foam out of the case. This with a simple easy to see minimal content.

As great as the tuff pack is in theory, it's potential to cause havoc for the traveller is far greater in practice!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have used many cases going to Africa but on the last 15 trips I have used tuffpak. I have not had the issues that others speak about. The only thing is with 3 guns it is tight and is hard to take guns out but with 2 it is a breeze. I put guns in soft cases and put in the tuffpak.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use an SKB golf bag case. I added straps on each end on each half. I pile each have full, lay a cased rifle (or three) on top and strap it all tight. A check at the airport results in simply opening the case release the straps and get out the rifle(s). No messing with the rest of the cargo. On my first trip it held my rifle (in its own case) and all of my other stuff. Last trip it held three cased rifles, a couple of pairs of boots, four set of binoc's, knives, coats, etc. Well placed handles and a nice set of wheels.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pelican 1750 for me. Great luck. That or an SKB archery case.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Which cases result in oversize bag fee?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have never had (keeping fingers crossed)TSA or anyone give me any grief on my gun case. When I went over this summer, I used a knock off of a tuffpak, sort of.. mostly because I had more stuff than I could haul, unless it was put in the case. I didn't lock the locks so the TSA guy wouldn't cut them off, which one was about to do a couple of years ago.. anyway, this guy didn't even look in the case. Ran something around the edge of the lid where it closed, and took it over and put it on the conveyor. I hollered at him to put the locks on num nutz.. he had to call down stairs to get that done. In Joburg, they only had me open the case enough to see the serial number..I usually use a Saf-T-Case I bought in the 60s.. heavy gauge aluminum. with foam in it. Straps are (need to get them replaced) canvas straps with buckles. As I said, I personally have had not problem with TSA or anyone looking at the guns. Two years ago, the TSA guy did look, but pretty much opened the case, saw there was a rifle in it, checked the ownership form, and closed it back up. I make SURE I am not going through Europe as hear too many complaints about the guns causing trouble. Don't know why anyone would, when can go direct, from DC or Atlanta, to JoBurg. OH.. the TuffPak knock off, I wouldn't use again, because though it had wheels, was not set up inside like the tuffpak, and had to put rifle(s) in these holders, and strap them down..and the holders, slid into slots and didn't want to stay tight. Clothes, etc.,kept them snug..plenty of protection though as molded fiberglas. weighed about the same as my saf-t-case (15 lbs empty).

Ghost
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Haven't used it yet, but bought a Starlight double case for my trip to Africa. http://www.starlightcases.com/AllCases.html

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Which cases result in oversize bag fee?

??? Never considered when I was dumping $15 to $50k on the trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Want to find a case that I can fly with from AK to South Dakota once a year without $100 each way oversize fees!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pelican! No overweigh chages with two scoped guns, it is heavy when loaded.

Last edited by GSP814; 02/03/14.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Pelican 1750 for me...held 2 rifles plus stuff and weighed right at 49#s...no issues at all.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
GaryO:

It goes without saying each of us has a favorite gun box. My favorite may not appeal to you because I only take one rifle to Africa.
I've used the Storm case made by Hardigg Industries. The model is iM3100. (Hardigg cases are similar to Pelican) Empty weight of the case is about 15#, and it is designed to handle a take-down type firearm. My rifle is a Winchester M-70, and I remove the action from the stock, and the two sections fit quite well within the foam cutouts.
Reassembling the rifle and checking zero requires but a few extra minutes at the range prior to beginning the hunt.
I've taken this case to Zimbabwe 15 times, and it has been tossed by the best (?) baggage handles the world has to offer. In my experience the case is (pardon the pun) bullet proof.
Obviously this case won't accept a lot of miscellaneous gear, but it works for me.
Just another option. Good luck with whichever type case you choose.

J.Schott

Last edited by TSIBINDI; 02/06/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J,

Your gun transport is certainly not in the mainstream, however it's spot on to making TSA comfortable and very satisfied with the safety aspect, they do not have to open it.

There are a number of folks that relate the experience of stuffed cases with guns inside being as no problem. That is the exception rather then the rule. Far more stuffed cases are emptied then those with only a rifle. When the simple ex ray exam can determine contents they zip right through the security system. Just ask any TSA technician at the airport. Chat with them about their training and requirements to safety check luggage.

With 25-35 hunters a year. It's no coincidence that those few guns that do not show up on time at the airport in nearly every case are those that have been packed with plenty of other items.

That 4 hour drive to camp without the case, has the hunter recalling the things he now must do without. " my boots were in there, my hunting pants, my rifles, my shooting six, etc etc, the paranoia of not knowing ....was the case stolen, diverted, just missed the flight?

In most every instance it's delivered the next day, however they had a miserable first day without the contents. I don't know of a single instance where just a rifle in a case by itself was not on time. It's so consistent that when a gun case does not show up with other luggage, the first thing I ask my hunter is " what else was in there"
Reply" all kinds of stuff"
Prior to 2000 it did not really matter, but since then the scrutiny of contents is not getting reduced.

something to consider.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2UP, 160user, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,268
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.