Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Righty typically closes left eye and vice versa for south paws...any of you knobs do it in reverse? I know a dude who does it opposite and said it is because of reversed eye dominance.

Interested to hear the opinions.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

It caused me to start out shooting a rifle left handed. (which I still do)

I didn't understand why for a long time.

I shoot a handgun right handed.

It's never caused a problem,...but it made me have to crane my neck a bit when shooting the Creedmore position in IHMSA matches.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Interesting!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Bristoe...when shooting a pistola, do you close your left eye to aim?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No,...I always sight with my left eye.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am cross dominant. left eyed, right handed. I shoot right handed by default and never had a prob. I 'use the force' and concentrate on the sights or cross hair. i no longer need to close or squint my left eye.

i use my left eye shooting handguns, though.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just switch the firearm to the dominant side and shoot with both eyes open. It will take some time to overcome muscle memory, but will make hurry up stuff like snap shooting rifles and shotgunning a lot easier and effective.

I can and have gone against nature in some shooting instances, but it takes 3 or 4 times longer for me to get things properly aligned. Not all that critical when hunting, as most of us don't live/die by the gun. In a firefight or facing down dangerous game, however, I'd not want to be thinking my way though a shot.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/03/14.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
eye dominance does not automatically trump hand dominance. degree of dominance of both hand and eye need a thunk.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm right handed and left eyed. I don't shut my left eye, just squint a very little bit. I went to the eye doctor last year to get contacts but they never got my scipt right. I was gonna only put the right one in when bird/duck hunting so I could try and shoot with both eyes open the way your supposed to shoot a shotgun. I got sick of going back for a different contact. I don't know if it will work or not but it sounds like it should.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Just switch the firearm to the dominant side and shoot with both eyes open. It will take some time to overcome muscle memory, but will make hurry up stuff like snap shooting rifles and shotgunning a lot easier and effective.

I can and have gone against nature in some shooting instances, but it takes 3 or 4 times longer for me to get things properly aligned. Not all that critical when hunting, as most of us don't live/die by the gun. In a firefight or facing down dangerous game, however, I'd not want to be thinking my way though a shot.

Right hand, left eye dominate. I shoot rifles with my right eye and have started shooting my handgun with mt right hand and left trying to remember to keep both eyes open. Add to that I have to use the middle lens of my trifocals to see my hand let alone the front sight. I have it on good authority it can be unnerving to be the range officer when I shoot bowling pins but sometimes I can get lucky and still make the pins fly.

I may play around trying to switch to my left hand when the weather gets better but at almost 65 this old dog may not learn that new trick.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Cross eyed dominance is very common. Non-issue in most cases but you know you might have your work cut out for you when a right hander grabs a rifle and keeps sliding his face over the comb to use the left eye.

Those shooters typically need more help than others.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to switch for archery endeavors at about age 30. The first 2 or 3 days were a bear, but accuracy went way up. No way I could go back now.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/03/14.

1Minute
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've shot like that before I knew anything about it other than I could see better out of my left eye as a kid.

It is what it is, I make due. The only time I have a real issue with it is at long range.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You will never shoot to your abilities if you use the non dominant eye. Pretty simple.

That being said most folks don't come anywhere near their ability to start with and very few NEED or WANT to anyway, so its often an non issue.

I hear it can really mess you up with a shotgun though.

I've shot a few deer lefty, and I"m right, right. My BIL even learned to shoot his bow left when he was a righty. ANd took a few deer, due to opportunities that arose.

Of course it doesn't take much ability to shoot a deer with a gun and thats about all most folks ever really desire anyway. Accuracy wise.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was in the military I smashed my right hand. Go figure, It was time for me to rifle qual. Now I actually shoot pistol better with my left side, although I am still right eye dominant. I try to shoot with both eyes open, but looking through a scope I tend to close my left eye. Hence, I'm a better pistol shooter than rifle as a lefty.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Ok...great replies....

Let me ask this....is it a better habit/skill/choice to shoot with both eyes open and not closed one or squint it? Pistol or rifle? Or matters not on either?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
hmmm,...I don't know.

I do it both ways.

Plinking with a handgun, I usually keep both eyes open, but if I'm shooting a rifle at distance, I usually close one eye.

,..may not be the accepted method, but it's what works best for me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm cross eye dominant (right handed/left eye). I have to close my left eye at least for a moment then I can open it again but only for a few moments before it takes over again.

So I shoot rifles with my left eye closed.

I'll not discuss wingshooting as it is a MF'r being cross eye dominant.

Handguns are the easiest, I shoot right handed with a handgun but with both eyes open. I turn my head enough so the left eye is in line.

I've shot more than a few deer/turkey left handed whilst hunting too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Ok...great replies....

Let me ask this....is it a better habit/skill/choice to shoot with both eyes open and not closed one or squint it? Pistol or rifle? Or matters not on either?

Any time you can keep both eyes open it is preferable, but that has more to do with being better aware of your surroundings than anything else.

If you are right eye dominant and close your left eye, nothing is going to be altered as opposed to leaving both eyes open. The only disadvantage is losing some of your peripheral.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
My first shooting love is the scattergun and eye dominance, IMO is thee issue when pointing a gun. Cross dominance, in my experience, is rampant in the female crowd.

Were it me, I would learn to shoot off the other shoulder. Hard as that is, I believe it to be easier than all the other "fixes". Remember, with a shotgun you would actually be pointing with your dominant hand. I have done it enough to know it is possible.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,759
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.