Print Thread
Hop To
#8541881 02/03/14
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Gotta put a set of pads on my Dodge Cummins. I got 70K on the originals. What's a good brand? Seems like you can get a set of fronts anywhere from 30 bucks to over 100. Don't want to wear out the rotors with them either.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are they original? Go with those if you like their performance.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At either advanced auto parts or autozone they offer a set with lifetime warranty, basically when they wear out you swap the out for a new pair for free. That's a nice deal depending on how long they last and how much you mind swapping out your own pads.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wagner's are pretty good but the Akebono's are the ticket

low dusting and great brakes.

check out Rockauto for their prices.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've used Hawk replacement pads for years with great results. Here's where to get them:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...oup=HP+SuperDuty+brake+pads&cat=Pads

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 444Matt
At either advanced auto parts or autozone they offer a set with lifetime warranty, basically when they wear out you swap the out for a new pair for free. That's a nice deal depending on how long they last and how much you mind swapping out your own pads.

Read the fine print. It's a lifetime warranty against defects, not if you wear them out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stay away from house brands, they are mostly cheap junk in my experience.

Mid grade NAPA pads worked well for me. The super pads from NAPA tended to squeak and eat rotors. OEM pads are also surprisingly good. Remember to turn the rotors and change out the fluid.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootinurse
I've used Hawk replacement pads for years with great results. Here's where to get them:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...oup=HP+SuperDuty+brake+pads&cat=Pads

I second the Hawk pads. I have them on my truck now. A nice improvement in braking performance. I'm using the Hawk LTS pads on my Excursion. They're also available on Amazon where the reviews are very positive.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Seems to me if you got 70,000 out of the factory pads, you should find what you are looking for at the Dodge parts counter.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hawk or EBC, most of the "long lasting, low dust" pads are crap in terms of braking performance.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawk, etc or Napa golds are what I ran on my Cummins really liked the hawks

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've used Hawk pads, and they certainly are better than what you're going to get at the parts stores.
Once I tried Porterfield, I've never bought anything else, for any vehicle. They're very expensive, for very good reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Stay away from house brands, they are mostly cheap junk in my experience.

Mid grade NAPA pads worked well for me. The super pads from NAPA tended to squeak and eat rotors. OEM pads are also surprisingly good. Remember to turn the rotors and change out the fluid.

most rotors cant be turned anymore.they are made to the minimum thickness without any extra for trueing.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 444Matt

I second Auto Zone.... I have them on all 5 of my vehicles and have installed them on other people's cars for them....wife's women friends who have no husband and no budget for car repairs...

I get good mileage out of the fronts and the back ones...but nowadays, I just change them every 50,000 miles.. sometimes with a lot of wear left in them, and sometimes less... but they never ever question it...

the two cars I personally drive get the most miles on them...
the Camry has 325,000 miles on it... and its on its 4th pads in the front, and 3rd in the rear...the original pads were $20 or less....

same on my 88 4 Runner...also change them every 50,000 miles also, and they still have plenty of wear left in them, but they never question me...

plus I don't even have to keep the original receipt, and they cross reference the warranty via my phone number...

do the same with spark plug wires which were about $20 a set originally... both vehicles being 4 cylinders...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I replaced the original OEM pads on my 2004 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 at 175,000 miles with another set of OEM pads. They appear to be holding up like the originals, as they now have 85,000 on them and are not worn more than 1/3 of their original thickness. The cost of the pads was in the neighborhood of $100 if I remember correctly.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get Wagner, OE, or Hawks. Don't get the cheap ones, don't go for any of the super duper hyped crap either. As to wearing out your rotors, they will be toast on the next set anyways. You can usually get one turning out of the rotors depending on how you drive. (@ 70k on the OE's, you are probably good to go). Do turn them though, put new hardware on, and lube the pins or guides with good brake grease. (not wheel bearing or anti-seize)

Sean

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 60 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.