OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Who likes it, and why?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i think its a neat round for the AR platform.....in a bolt gun prolly makes more sence to just go with the 308 and download.....was hoping to have a 300BO up and running for killing pigs in April but doesnt look like its gonna happen....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
*shrug*

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
45-70

nuff said

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by rattler
i think its a neat round for the AR platform.....in a bolt gun prolly makes more sence to just go with the 308 and download.....was hoping to have a 300BO up and running for killing pigs in April but doesnt look like its gonna happen....

Agreed, makes a good deal of sense in the AR (I may build one). Due to the fact you can make 300 BA brass from 5.56/223 with relative ease, you don't need different mags etc as you do with 6.8. In a bolt or other gun it is superfluous. If you want a similar/better thing in a bolt I would download 308 to 300 savage levels.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Keep that up an you'll achieve curmudgeon status in no time....

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

That was for George... Seriously, though, I'd like to hear from anyone who's put it to use.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got an Encore barrel for a steal from Bergara, haven't got it up and running yet but I'm going to play with it. If I really like it I might get me an upper for my AR and a can to go with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned a couple, still have the Daniel Defense, which a few other members have shot at a gathering. The DD is quite accurate and reliable. The CMMG shot about like an AK smirk

I got it as a house gun, in lieu of a pistol caliber carbine - more rounds onboard and shorter than a pump shotgun, plus easier on your ears, at least with the subsonic loads. Uses readily available 5.56 mags. You can either run it subsonic, or run it supersonic and approach the power of a 7.62x39.

Some general comments:

1. I know the old .300 Whisper gurus suggested 220gr target bullets were very effective, due to tumbling when they hit game. So far, I am unconvinced. Might have something to do with a wounded doe running onto the next ranch, a couple years ago. Sierra might actually know what they are talking about, when they say not to use Matchkings on game. smile Place your shots exactly, and watch the trajectory.

2. Mine have shot more accurately, loaded to magazine length, rather than the suggested OAL of 2.08". They ran 100%, too.

3. I'm going to try the Outlaw State bullets, which are a 220gr segmented jacket designed for subsonic Blackout loads, and are guaranteed to expand at subsonic speeds. Shown on the middle right:

[Linked Image]

I think it's an interesting caliber smile

And KW, why aren't you attending the Hog Hunt next month? smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have five friends who love it. All of them just plink for now. When making brass from .223 we had case neck tension inconsistencies until we used a Lee crimp die. Reliability skyrocketed and the cost saving are enormous. Around here a twenty round box goes for $40.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, sierra does NOT know what they are talking about with the SMK vs game. But thats not the issue here, expecting a 220 to open at those speeds won't happen. And tumbling is totally a combo of speed and twist. When a 55 fmj tumbles in a target out of a slow twist AR, it does a LOT of damage. You can imagine what a 220 would do, just have to make it so that it tumbles. 240 might be easier to get to do that.

I haven't anything yet, but have a can on the way. Will put an AR together but think that a bolt or encore barrel might be best for many situations, no action noise that way.

So I'll probably end up with 2 of them. Run pre fragmented bullets in either and life will be just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I have five friends who love it. All of them just plink for now. When making brass from .223 we had case neck tension inconsistencies until we used a Lee crimp die. Reliability skyrocketed and the cost saving are enormous. Around here a twenty round box goes for $40.

What neck tension issues? What size bushing are you using that wont' give enough tension? I need to order some to play with I suspect after reading this.
LC brass or other?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The problem with using .223 is that the case body wall is not made to be a case neck, so you are not going to get the reliability you are looking for by cutting down 223 cases. Obviously they work but not how they are supposed to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting you never heard anything about Whisper rounds having that issue some 30 years or so ago?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Nope, sierra does NOT know what they are talking about with the SMK vs game. But thats not the issue here, expecting a 220 to open at those speeds won't happen. And tumbling is totally a combo of speed and twist. When a 55 fmj tumbles in a target out of a slow twist AR, it does a LOT of damage. You can imagine what a 220 would do, just have to make it so that it tumbles. 240 might be easier to get to do that.

a tumbling bullet can be quite effective....IIRC Aagaard used a military 303 Brit FMG load that was designed to tumble when hitting flesh.....was quite happy with its performance on critters up to zebra size(650lbs give or take)....so the theory is solid

Last edited by rattler; 02/04/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

Curmudgeon status in my early twenties, who could be so lucky?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by fixitquick79

Agreed, makes a good deal of sense in the AR (I may build one). Due to the fact you can make 300 BA brass from 5.56/223 with relative ease, you don't need different mags etc as you do with 6.8. In a bolt or other gun it is superfluous. If you want a similar/better thing in a bolt I would download 308 to 300 savage levels.

^This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And KW, why aren't you attending the Hog Hunt next month? smile

If that's the one in Tennessee, it may be that I'm fearful they'll discover that I'm originally from Kentucky. You know how they get jealous of their natural-born superiors... If it's in East Texas, I know people there. They scare me... ;-)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by fixitquick79

^This.

300 savage is not subsonic. IMHO the ONLY use of the 300 whisper( now called blackout for some reason ) is for subsonic uses.

If I wanted a 300 savage, I'd buy one rather than download a case. Often we've had issues with accuracy when downloading, though I will say trying the blue dot theory one time so far to get a quieter round, it did work nicely. Just kinda seems weird to have a case that will hold 35 or 40 grains of powder, holding 12 or such... seems that variations in location of powder vs primer ignition would create some inconsistencies.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The sole purpose of .300BO is for subsonic/suppressor use. Sure AAC tried to sell people that it was useable at supersonic speeds but this was a marketing ploy intended for idiots.

If you don't have a Suppressor and don't have a need for subsonics, buying a .300BO is like buying a Yugo to add to your Ferrari collection.

The .300BO is not comparative to the 6.8spc or Grendel. It's not even on the same planet as those two rounds.

It is a niche round and it does a pretty good job within that niche, but it's not the only answer to the subsonic question.

It's just the most widely known answer because a silencer company, who wanted to sell more suppressors and who is owned by the same company as Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS and thus had the marketing and industry knowledge and wherewithal to market a round, specifically aimed it at suppressor use to sell more suppressors.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.