Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyskt100
RH Clark. There's not (m)any high BC .25 bullets available. So, having said that, 25-06 factory loaded stuff is at a disadvantage to start with. Add to that the large jump outa the case and to the lands of factory stuff, you're a little behind before you start. Now that bedding, and mechanical integrity is confirmed(mounts�) it's time to address the ammunition "problem" you have. :-)

I am by no means looking to pick a fight against your above post and it may have been posted as tongue in cheek but........I have been a campfire member for approx 7 years and have enjoyed learning and sharing on here since I joined. I am probably one of the few guys on here that doesnt hand load, not that I haven't done it, just don't place a lot of importance on it when factory ammo shoots so well. I have successfully killed a lot of chit both small and large and every single critter has been killed with a factory loaded bullet. I have never even thought twice about it either. So while I appreciate your enthusiasm about the process of making good ammo, I find it a bit silly when guys act as if one is so inherently disadvantaged by bullet BC's and factory loaded ammunition. For reasons such as cost,availability and such I see the value in hand loading but if your not killing chit past 400 yards regularly, I just don't see the utmost importance in BC's. Of course YMMV from mine but aside from price and availability I have been a pretty happy camper killing chit with factory ammo and I have an extensive photobucket library to prove it. I intend to reload my ammo very soon and that's merely because ammo is becoming so scarce and prices constantly rising that it just makes sense. But if you think that I'll think twice about killing my next 20 critters with 20 factory loaded bullets, that just isn't the case!

HR IC

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
RH Clark. There's not (m)any high BC .25 bullets available. So, having said that, 25-06 factory loaded stuff is at a disadvantage to start with. Add to that the large jump outa the case and to the lands of factory stuff, you're a little behind before you start. Now that bedding, and mechanical integrity is confirmed(mounts�) it's time to address the ammunition "problem" you have. :-)

I am by no means looking to pick a fight against your above post but........I have been a campfire member for approx 7 years and have enjoyed learning and sharing on here since I joined. I am probably one of the few guys on here that doesnt hand load, not that I haven't done it, just don't place a lot of importance on it when factory ammo shoots so well. I have successfully killed a lot of chit both small and large and every single critter has been killed with a factory loaded bullet. I have never even thought twice about it either. So while I appreciate your enthusiasm about the process of making good ammo, I find it a bit silly when guys act as if one is so inherently disadvantaged by bullet BC's and factory loaded ammunition. For reasons such as cost,availability and such I see the value in hand loading but if your not killing chit past 400 yards regularly, I just don't see the utmost importance in BC's. Of course YMMV from mine but aside from price and availability I have been a pretty happy camper killing chit with factory ammo and I have an extensive photobucket library to prove it. I intend to reload my ammo very soon and that's merely because ammo is becoming so scarce and prices constantly rising that it just makes sense. But if you think that I'll think twice about killing my next 20 critters with 20 factory loaded bullets, that just isn't the case!

I was answering R.H. Clark's request for a translation. I missed the quote button and didn't feel like doing the cut and paste thing...

Last edited by nyskt100; 02/04/14.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ohhhh, well then my bad, sorry for the confusion. No sense in debating this with Boxer, as I know he likes pushing the envelop ALL the time, and there's no way to do that with factory fodder.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I do agree with him though... If you decide to start loading, he put up a post under the False Shoulder topic that's a helluva place to start.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I do agree with him though... If you decide to start loading, he put up a post under the False Shoulder topic that's a helluva place to start.

Yea, I saved that for future reference as I intend to get into reloading as soon as space becomes available. I need a shop. Like AlaskaCub, it just hasn't been a priority yet since I get very good accuracy with factory loads at the limited distances I shoot here.

100 yards with factory Hornady from Sako 270
[Linked Image]

100 yards from Sako 243 with Federal Premium.
[Linked Image]

Doesn't matter though as I'm always wanting to learn more about anything gun related and I do appreciate the translation.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Clark,

I cain't know,whatcha' cain't know...so pinpoint that which ain't clear to you and I'll clarify.

I'm never not crystalline.

'100,

"Mexican Match" is one of the oldest of the Old Injun' Tricks and reliably bears lotsa fruit. It were derived many moons ago and is most oft attributed to the Sillywet Crowd,which is likely the very case.

In it's most simplistic form,one simply sources a goodly supply of what is typically Factory Ammo(I personally wouldn't shoot anyone else's Reloads on a [bleep] dare) and lovingly yerks the issued boolits outta them. Lotsa ways to do this,but my preference is a collet puller,so as to be nice to primers and curtail beating on live rounds in general.(grin)

One can then swap out the pulled boolits,for one of superior quality,form or terminal affects...or all 3 attributes. The Sillywet Crowd's focus was on 308Ball ammo and the FMJ's was removed and sumptin' akin to a SMK seated in it's place,retaining the issued case,primer and powder charge. In the days of dirt cheap Ball Ammo,it was a great way even then,to stretch a buck and realize MUCH improved performance.

I've done it with bajillions of rounds,in multiple chamberings and still do in 308,now and again. Key things to keep in mind,is that NATO pressure levels are at or exceeding Sporting ceilings. Most FMJ's don't obturate as happily as a typical cup/core offering,so that in itself acts as a pressure bleed of sorts. I've never had anything "weird" pressure wise with 308 Ball in any boltgun,but sloppy headspaced MBR's are another story and not the impetus here anyhow(thus far). You don't wanna pull 147gr Radway Green and stuff it with 175SMK's atop the issued powder charge.(grin)

Here's how I roll and tools of the practice.

A pallet of 308 Ball is a nice way to start. I then pull with the aforementioned collet means(illustrated in pic) and then deburr the mouth and seat a suitable projectile with a Comp Seating Die(shown),in accordance to a given throat.

I'm at ease in yerkin' 147's and substituing same with a 150 mainstream cup/core,which will bleed pressure as cited(due happier obturation). In conjunction with that practice,I'll again bleed pressure off the issued powder charge and componetry(brass volume and primer temp),by going moly and refraining ANY crimp...even in MBR's.

[Linked Image]

Pulled/laquered/crimped boolits,destined for the garbage can and the issued brass/powder/primers awaiting happiness.

[Linked Image]

Cursory run,ready for a Range Trip,to establish initial zero and come-ups,via chronographed feedback.

[Linked Image]

Typical platform

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The backside of the equation,is that you've now got more brass for a given platform,while having reaped vastly improved issued "performance" levels of a given Batcha' Bulk Ball. Win/win/win.

A deviation of the theme,is to pull boolits and then dump the powder in a thrower and re-meter for even more Precison(better ES/SD values)...or to make use of a boolit that's not aligned with the issued charge weight's pressure levels. Very easy to resize to 7-08,243,etc and control neck tension and squirt a killer boolit to boot. Lotsa ways to sking the cat...though I always start at the ass hole.(grin)

Long way of sayin',I [bleep] hate 308's.(grin)

'Cub,

Not all things is equal,that's a certainty.

I get it that some don't 'Load and they gotta suffer,what they suffer. That being said,as Factory fodder goes,there' gonna be som default chamberings that are gonna reliably shine brighter than others,due QC,superior componetry and literal demands. The 223 and 308,the most shining examples there.

My initial point was/is,that I could not in good faith outright cuss the mechanical aptitude of ANY 25-06 boltgun's relative merit,by making it suffer Factory Fodder and weighing that feedback as a sole barometer of mechanical evaluation. It may or may not shine,where with the other chamberings I cited prior,you KNOW WTF is going on,as ammo of repute is readily available. Therein lies the crux.

A guy makes his own "luck".

Hint.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Good read! Thanks! Learn something new every day. Except the .308 part, I was pretty sure of that :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have the bedding checked by a smith that used a dial indicator and bore scope that barrel for copper. free floated barrel? Sorry if you bought a lemon...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'O,

You'll wanna lick more than a little glass,while you [bleep] around in sucha manner...with the 82 Trick Move Goat [bleep].

It's ONLY funny,because you were(are) doing your "best".

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gary O
I would have the bedding checked by a smith that used a dial indicator and bore scope that barrel for copper. free floated barrel? Sorry if you bought a lemon...

I don't get it, do some guys only read the first post of a multi page thread and then reply?

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Gary O

I don't get it, do some guys only read the first post of a multi page thread and then reply?

If one was to borescope noggins little would be revealed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Read only the first page??? Hell, I just look at the first three words of the heading- Then I jump in, disagree with everybody and contradict anybody that hunts or shoots,and demand that the OP do things exactly as I do, and if anyone disagrees, I insult their manhood, family, church and religion, state of origin, political beliefs and anything else that I can think of.
Isn't that how it's done?? smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ha ha ha, great response, pretty damn accurate depiction of the campfire!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
Read only the first page??? Hell, I just look at the first three words of the heading- Then I jump in, disagree with everybody and contradict anybody that hunts or shoots,and demand that the OP do things exactly as I do, and if anyone disagrees, I insult their manhood, family, church and religion, state of origin, political beliefs and anything else that I can think of.
Isn't that how it's done?? smile

That there is spot on!!!!! grin

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 5 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 623 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,515
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.