-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I have been putting in for p points for 16 years for a chance to hunt gmu 61. I think we are going to try to put in to hunt this year. I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to share any helpful info or maybe ever semi guide with us in this area. My uncle has hunted it before about 19 years ago but I'm sure a lot has change since then. We were planning to come out early enough to scout for a few days, but I know anybody local or someone who knows the area well would be a great help. Just thought I would give this forum a try and see how it works out. We are from Kentucky if this matters to anyone. Thanks.

Last edited by notofthisworld; 02/04/14.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't help here. I have never hunted that area.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know of any NR hunt that can be had for 16 points. Last year you could be drawn for 2nd/3rd/4th season with 16 points, however only 56% of those with 16 got a tag, and the point creep has been going up at least one point per year. Therefore, probably not all people with 17 points will be picked this year. Hey, but anything could happen. Good luck

The earlier seasons will take 18+ PPs

Venor ergo sum
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It is a great unit that holds some very nice bull elk. Having a guide will be a big help. I would recomend you talk to Ryan Weimer. He offers guided hunts in the unit.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The latest issue of CO DOW Colorado Outdoors Preference Points issue that just came out this week shows 19 points required last year for a NR for 1st season bull tag and 16 for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th season. So add 1 point to that. Cow tags can be had for zero or 1-2 points

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since you probably can't draw this year, I'd try to come out this year to hike the area and scout around. The time slot after archery and before rifle would be a great time to be in the woods a bit. On another note, grab a first come first served muzzleloader bear tag in there and scout for elk while enjoying a bear hunt in September. Bring the shotgun as there has been a lot of grouse in there.

With that many points on the board, I'd either get a guide or be out here scouting a year or two previous. Good luck.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by notofthisworld
I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to ..... maybe ever semi guide with us in this area.

You need to be aware that in Colorado, it's illegal for anyone to act as a hunting guide unless he/she is certified as a guide/outfitter in Colorado. If an unlicensed person were to accept compensation to guide you while hunting and you knew that he/she was not licensed then both HE AND YOU could be jailed and fined.

I'm not a guide or outfitter so I have no dog in the fight. Just thought you should know.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks guys for info. I did not know that about paying for someone acting as guide. I don't mind if someone helps for free. Ha Ha. I for sure want to be legal as they would love to make example out of non residents. I would be willing to help someone in return for free to harvest a west ky whitetail.
West ky did get rated as top state for b/c deer this year. Is that legal?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KC
I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to ..... maybe ever semi guide with us in this area.

You need to be aware that in Colorado, it's illegal for anyone to act as a hunting guide unless he/she is certified as a guide/outfitter in Colorado. If an unlicensed person were to accept compensation to guide you while hunting and you knew that he/she was not licensed then both HE AND YOU could be jailed and fined.

I'm not a guide or outfitter so I have no dog in the fight. Just thought you should know.

KC

True, but I have more than a couple of friends who live in Colorado that have shown me some good places to hunt. And I have shown them some good places to hunt on my ranch in Texas! Great to have friends!

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Unless things change dramatically, you are probably about 2 years out from drawing a tag (2016)

Last edited by txhunter58; 02/04/14.

Venor ergo sum
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind if someone helps for free. I would be willing to help someone in return for free to harvest a west ky whitetail. West ky did get rated as top state for b/c deer this year. Is that legal?

NOTW:

What you're talking about is called a swap hunt and that's totally legal. Just make sure that no money changes hands.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (007FJ, 1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,745
Posts18,514,518
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.