Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Layers and wool. You will have to wear orange per state law if big game hunting during the rifle season. Chances are pretty slim that you'll need worry about rain but gaiters to keep bottom of your pants dry as you slog through the snow are great.

The other thing to consider is an outer shell with a hood to keep snow laden trees from dumping snow down your back if you hunt in the timber. I typically skip the early season rush and spend my time out the last 10 days of the season as the weather is usually colder and snowier.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone use the WildThings windshirt as a rain/wind stopper (I know its only water resistant and not for hardcore down pours)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you're referring to the one made out of EPIC fabric, yes I have. It's ok, not great--my main gripe is that it doesn't dry out as quickly as I expect a windshirt to. DWR doesn't need re-applied as often as most due to the sil-encapsulated fibers as opposed to coating. On the flip side it probably needs washed in tech-wash more often for the same reason.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Im referring to this one..

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/products/m-hooded-windshirt

Also as far as Sitka gear, do you think for sept bow hunts one could get away with only wear a Core LS, Traverse LS, and a down vest in the mornings?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hunting from a wall tent in Montana, I wear a good set of long underwear, shirt and jeans, and a Cabelas windshear wooltimate coat. I love that coat! I also usually carry an extra layer for my upper body (hoodie in my daypack). Beanie and gloves. November in Montana can vary quite a bit. It could be -0 and it could be +50. Layer up with quality fabrics that wick moisture and you should be fine. Other than maybe gaiters (which I don't use either) Ive never had a need for a special "waterproof" outer layer or rain wear at that time of year...oh yea, and lots of Orange.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JWP58
Im referring to this one..

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/products/m-hooded-windshirt

Also as far as Sitka gear, do you think for sept bow hunts one could get away with only wear a Core LS, Traverse LS, and a down vest in the mornings?

Nope mine's different; EPIC is the same thing the BD Firstlight series tents are made of. The one you have is 50d Toray. I had an Outdoor Research windshirt that used toray and I liked it fine.

You could "get by" with a down vest I suppose but I think sleeves get you a lot of comfort for very minimal weight penalty. You end up losing a lot of heat out of the veins/arteries in your armpits and forearms without them. It also buys you some wind protection on top of your Sitka "action suit". I'd look at something like the Montbell Frost Smoke for down or MB Thermawrap for synthetic. I've also been enjoying the Rab Xenon but it's typically in loud colors. That's my two cents.

I have a down vest but only use it under a light synthetic parka so I can add horsepower without committing to a big puffy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Nerd... wink laugh

Ha, seems likely.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by matt_allen
I was wondering what you guys would recommend for camo clothing for a baapack hunt. im going to Montana the week of thanksgiving. I like the Sitka gear but out of my price range. any help would be great.
Thanks Matt Allen

This is what I wear 90% of the time.

Under Armor top and bottom. Some sort of easy drying t-shirt over the under armor top. A merino wool long sleeve shirt. And an Under Armor sweatshirt. If it's really, really ass cold, I wear a faux wool jacket on top the sweatshirt. I also make sure I have a good beanie and some sort of scarf to cover my neck. Rain is unlikely IMO.

A very packable down jacket is advisable for lots of glassing and doing camp schit at night.

I prefer brown Carhartt jeans for winter.

Wool socks, obviously. And buy some gaiters. I like Kenetrek but Outdoor Research are great as well.

I live on the prairie but this is what I wear everywhere in Montana when it is cold. And IMO the prairie is a helluva lot colder than the areas that hold mountains.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Originally Posted by pointer
Nerd... wink laugh

Ha, seems likely.
I'm pretty sure I'm in the, takes one to know one category... wink

What I wear is not too far off with what 'flave listed. However, I usually opt for a nylon type pant. I'm pretty partial to REI Adventure pants. Generally try to avoid the zipoffs since my fat legs rub and the zipper is generally located where they rub. For camo, I use Microtex. Just get it big enough to layer how you want underneath.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Patagonia layered clothing. Very comfortable and durable too. For rifle hunting I have a Patagonia nano puff jacket in a very bright orange. For general backpacking and angling I like the Patagonia "alpha green" color.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A very packable down jacket is advisable for lots of glassing and doing camp schit at night.
I prefer a synthetic jacket over down. It's not as warm for it's weight but it can sure pay off if I get caught in the rain.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SnowyMountaineer, "complicates ecophysiology equations" ... I had to pull out the dictionary for that one!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some other tips. Gearing up from scratch can end up being expensive for good stuff. Especially if you are paying full price. If you can take your time and watch out for good prices you can get good stuff pretty cheap.

I've had much better luck buying stuff from backpacking oriented stores than hunting stores. Hiking gear tends to be better quality than gear designed for hunters and can often be found in subdued colors such as greens, grays, browns and black which works great for hunting.

Because of changing styles and colors last years stuff can often be purchased dirt cheap. There are 3-4 smaller backpacking shops near hear that mark down winter gear 50% off starting June 1. Anything left is 70% off on July 1 so they can order for the following winter. I've picked up several high end jackets and other gear at Walmart prices.

I paid $75 for these boots 7 yeas ago and am still using them. Better built than any "hunting" boot I've ever owned. Too bad they no longer make them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Mens-Baffin-Backpacking-Boot/dp/B0020MMJ96

Consider joining REI, especially if a retail store is within driving distance. Once a year I get a 10% dividend that can be used toward gear. I can keep it up to 2 years to build up money. Also get a 20% off coupon in the mail twice a year. There is a store about an hours drive away and I've ran across some really good closeout deals in the store not available online if in there at the right time. June and July are the times here to get deals on winter gear.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of merino base layers and cabelas microtex pants/shirt. Add a puffy jacket and rain gear and you are there. Don't need much else for anything.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SeanD
I'm a fan of merino base layers and cabelas microtex pants/shirt. Add a puffy jacket and rain gear and you are there. Don't need much else for anything.

I wish Cabelas would make microtex in something other than camo.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by snubbie

I wish Cabelas would make microtex in something other than camo.

+1 If Cabelas made microtex in solid colors, I'd wear it every day.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sounds like you guys are trying to make a fashion statement by not wearing camo.

While I question how useful camo really is, I don't think it scares game away!

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sounds like you guys are trying to make a fashion statement by not wearing camo.

While I question how useful camo really is, I don't think it scares game away!

No I don't think it scares game away. But I think it adds to the costs of garments and is utterly unnecessary. We've been conditioned, in the hunting world, to believe we NEED camo when we don't. It's all about marketing and selling product. Mossy Oak and Realtree are registered brands and any product using their patterns pays to use it. This drives up the price.
As far as a fashion statement, the camo companies have LONG been making a "fashion statement" with camo. Look at all the camo products. Everything from seat covers to underwear, none of which has any useful function as far as the camo is concerned. It's all about marketing.

When I come out of the woods, I may want to stop for a meal or stop in a store. Dressed in camo I look like a goober. Why would anyone dress in camo to go to the Outback Steakhouse? Nobody would and anyone who did would look like a goober.

And so I personally just oppose it on principle. I own some camo, just rarely wear it anymore, and thus wish the clothing manufacturers catering to hunters would make more non-camo gear.

Besides, all the cool dudes don't wear camo. cool

Having said all that. I have no issue whatsoever with anyone else wearing it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It all depends on how you hunt. If you're calling animals in close, it's better than a solid blob of a single color.

And I disagree with the goober comment. To me, a guy dressed in camo just looks like a hunter. I have no qualms about going into a store or restaurant wearing camo, and hereabouts, merchants have no problems taking my money because hunters are important to their business.

When I do go into a place where hunters are not part of the normal clientele, wearing camo, all the better.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I stated, I have camo but rarely wear it anymore and I have no issue whatsoever with anyone else wearing it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,612
Posts18,511,758
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.