Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Damn local store quit carrying pro plan diet that we feed the 13 year old lab.

Its now an hour drive to find any, and we can't keep much on hand or we get weevils.

We typically don't drive that way often enough to not have to make special trips.

Can we switch his food to the best diet food we can find at WalMart? IE not old roy etc... I have no clue what they have.

We have very little of the pro plan left, and if we can switch, how do we make the switch?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a vet Jeff but I know you want to blend a new food in with the old to change or they can get diarrhea from the switch.

Bump to the top for the vets to answer.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could order the food online.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not a Vet but...
I keep my bulk food sealed in a large trash can inside a plastic trash bag, in my case to keep mice out.
Purina O.N.E. is great food, used it with all my dogs for many years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
You could order the food online.

Dat's what I was gonna type. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the recalls on the poison they are putting out that they call dog food. Get off your ass and make your dogs food if you give a damn about them. IAM's and Eukanubafuckawhatcee just had another recall this week. Its an on going long story. Half this sh i t is made in or has ingrediants from China. Wake up people.

The sh i t you feed you dog.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/05/14.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With just a little research you can get quality dog food, online if need be. Amazon.com has lots of types available for order. You can go all the way up to the 'raw diet' if that's your desire. I don't think one has to go that far.

You can get made in the USA dog food with no corn or fillers.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jeff,

How far are you from a Tractor Supply? We switched to 4Health dog food for our critters and they offer an older dog option. Our dogs like the taste and it doesn't have corn or wheat in it, reducing allergies and inflammatory issues.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Look at the recalls on the poison they are putting out that they call dog food. Get off your ass and make your dogs food if you give a damn about them. IAM's and Eukanubafuckawhatcee just had another recall this week. Its an on going long story. Half this sh i t is made in or has ingrediants from China. Wake up people.

Good advice.

Except how do you do that?> You've provided an azz chewing and no further info....

RE ordering, yes, we thought of that, but then what if amazon or such doesn't have it... its even worse than having to drive an hour one way.

RE the plastic bag and trash can, yes we do all that, the food is in the house. We get weevils in our flour in the house after a few months.... its just unavoidable unless maybe I vac sealed it too.. but weevils cut through ziplocs as is.

Spare room in freezer would work but don't have that...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Good advice.

Except how do you do that?> You've provided an azz chewing and no further info....

RE ordering, yes, we thought of that, but then what if amazon or such doesn't have it... its even worse than having to drive an hour one way.

RE the plastic bag and trash can, yes we do all that, the food is in the house. We get weevils in our flour in the house after a few months.... its just unavoidable unless maybe I vac sealed it too.. but weevils cut through ziplocs as is.

Spare room in freezer would work but don't have that...
Order here www.chewy.com there are also customer reviews on each dog food.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try any of the Blue Buffalo offerings. Expensive, but probably the best dog food on the market. For any dog food, look at the protein and fat content of it vs what other grains that are used as fillers are in it. Then decide what your dog's needs are: puppy, active, adult, senior, etc.

Dog foods such as Purina, Old Roy, are mostly fillers. That is why you have to feed more of them, then it passes thru the dog and you end up with just bigger piles to clean.

The better dog foods, you feed less but they get more out of it. As recommended,any switch in food, do it gradually.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Am considering blue buffalo for sure. For the time being we are going to make a drive tongiht, so that we don't have to digest all this overnight...

As to Purina being bad, it was highly recommended by a couple of breeders and dog handlers at the time we got the lab pup. I may have made a mistake there, but more than a few said it was a good food.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Am considering blue buffalo for sure. For the time being we are going to make a drive tongiht, so that we don't have to digest all this overnight...

As to Purina being bad, it was highly recommended by a couple of breeders and dog handlers at the time we got the lab pup. I may have made a mistake there, but more than a few said it was a good food.

Jeff. Just look what's in the Purina and compare. I fed it for years until I got educated

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/05/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Not a vet here either but....no, wait! scratch that. laugh

If you're going to buy it at the Wal-mart, stick with Purina (looks like they sell Purina One).

At least you can be sure that Purina makes all their own stuff here in the U.S. at their own mfg facilities and isn't outsourcing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Plan-Sens...=8-1&keywords=pro+plan+dog+food+diet

If you have Prime, shipping is free.

I use the Hi-Standard stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse, before than most foods gave him the squirts.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nutrisource Super Performance for ours. Not cheap but like Blue Buffalo its top rated human grade contents, made entirely in the US and has some of the highest nutrient levels available.

No flies on blue buffalo but it doesn't have enough fat for our dogs. Both of our dogs are field trial dogs thus very high energy and ran hard daily, keeping weight on them without over feeding is a chore. Prior to the Nutrisourse Super Performance (32 protein, 21% fat at 529k/cup) we did feed Blue Buffalo Duck (34 protein, 15% fat at 410k/cup) with good results.

Alot of our local breeders feed Fred Meyers Nutrinuggets / Costco Kirkland Premium which is relabeled Diamond Professional.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
+1 on the Nutrisource, as good or better than anything out there, IMHO. My 3 GSP's have never had anything else. I have used ProPlan for some of my other dogs in the past, but there were some known issues and Purina was too slow to address them.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Not a vet here either but....no, wait! scratch that. laugh

If you're going to buy it at the Wal-mart, stick with Purina (looks like they sell Purina One).

At least you can be sure that Purina makes all their own stuff here in the U.S. at their own mfg facilities and isn't outsourcing.

I'd take brand advice from a vet in a heartbeat too... if we end up switching.

The for the time being thing, while waiting for TSC to get more in only to tell us they never would yesterday... [bleep]... is to make a run to a city at 5 tonight and get a few bags while we decide.

Problem there also being... we are rural enough that we may not be able to find a good food anywhere local either..

Thanks, Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of "pet foods"...

The reason most of our pets die so young and have constant health problems that require veterinary intervention, is because of their diet and the poisons they are fed in "pet food".

Most "pet foods" are made from what we consider garbage before the pet food industry recycles it, and industrial waste products, containing, among other poisons, rancid oils and the bodies of dead animals from shelters and industrial farms. Hig priced or low priced, it's all the same garbage.(Purina, Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc.)These days it's mostly China's garbage.

Many dogs die of cancer, and without going into a deep analysis, I'll just say that you can't destroy a retro virus by rendering, regardless of how many perfumes and colorants you add to it.

So basically, the pet food industry collects up the garbage and toxic waste, recycles it and sells it back to pet owners in painted garbage bags.

There are a few good brands, but by the time you pay the high price, if you want your dog/cat to eat rice and lamb or chicken and rice, it's less expensive to just buy rice and lamb or chicken and rice, with the added benefit of knowing what's really in it.

That's likely some sound advice for the food you eat as well...

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, so second poster suggesting make your own, but not a link at all or advice on how to do it, otehr than buy meat..

I"m still waiting...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.