Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hello All,

I'm farsighted with roughly 20/30 vision and 35 years old. I prefer to wear my glasses (have both clear and sunglasses in RX) when hunting so I can see crystal clear details. My problem is my longtime Leica binoculars don't work with my glasses so I have to take off the glasses every time I want to use the bino's. This is a nightmare for when still hunting even when using some croakies.

What I mean by not working is even when I pull the eye cups out instead of seeing a full field of view I get maybe 1/4 of a field of view. I've tried cups pressed in, cups pressed out, my glasses rammed up against my eyeballs and no matter what it sucks.

I've read that different binoculars will work great for some people and not others. For example my Dad who wears glasses says his bino's (same ones as I have) work great while wearing his glasses.

I'm thinking that I will probably have to sell the leica's after I find another high quality pair that I don't have to remove my glasses every time I raise my bino's to my face.

Anybody else have this problem? If so what models work for you? Any better ideas of what I can do?

P.S. I can shoot through a scope with or without glasses. It doesn't matter.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just try some of in the store. Swaro binoculars always work for me. I currently use geovids with no issues

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lewdogg21
Hello All,

I'm farsighted with roughly 20/30 vision and 35 years old. I prefer to wear my glasses (have both clear and sunglasses in RX) when hunting so I can see crystal clear details. My problem is my longtime Leica binoculars don't work with my glasses so I have to take off the glasses every time I want to use the bino's. This is a nightmare for when still hunting even when using some croakies.

What I mean by not working is even when I pull the eye cups out instead of seeing a full field of view I get maybe 1/4 of a field of view. I've tried cups pressed in, cups pressed out, my glasses rammed up against my eyeballs and no matter what it sucks.

I've read that different binoculars will work great for some people and not others. For example my Dad who wears glasses says his bino's (same ones as I have) work great while wearing his glasses.

I'm thinking that I will probably have to sell the leica's after I find another high quality pair that I don't have to remove my glasses every time I raise my bino's to my face.

Anybody else have this problem? If so what models work for you? Any better ideas of what I can do?

P.S. I can shoot through a scope with or without glasses. It doesn't matter.

Do not have an issue with Zeiss or Swaro but definitely had issues with Leica binos.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Lewdog, I know what you mean re glasses and binos. It used to bug the heck out of me and I did a lot of reading on eyeglasses and field of vision when I picked up my last pair of binoculars around the turn of the century (Gawd that makes me sound old). Anyway I ended up with a Pentax DCF WP 8x42. They have remarkable field of view with their cups down in eyeglass position. In fact I cannot discern ANY loss or difference in field of view when wearing glasses with eyecups down vrs eyecups up without my glasses. I have been so happy with those binoculars while wearing eyeglasses that I have never even looked at any others since.
I know at the time those Pentax had a good reputation from eyeglass wearers for full field of view. IIRC when I was researching binoculars I got a lot of good reviews and information off bird watching forums. Those folks do like their glass!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use swarovski all the time with eyeglasses

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A couple different sets of Swaros have worked well for me now that I wear glasses.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have an eye anomaly that forces me to wear spectacles 100 percent of my "awake" time. There are several individually focusing binoculars whose eye relief and field of view are acceptable for the most demanding user. I can identify some via PM if you ask.

Since I prefer central focusing, I have identified the single binocular that is satisfactory. "Satisfactory" must include a large, competitive field of view. A binocular that yields tunnel vision is close to useless. The binocular is Zeiss 7x42 B/GA T*P*. Although discontinued in 2004??, its Abbe-Koenig lenses allow it to continue to be among the finest, sharpest, clearest binoculars in existence. All earlier versions of this binocular - that is, without T*, P* or both coatings - are also very good. But the last version is the quill. The binocular is light for its power and size, water resistant, but not to the degree of Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF (Bundeswehr sponsored binocular that became a commercial success). The downside to the binocular is its cost. Even today, a good one will cost upward from $800.00. But since it is a lifetime investment, cost per day is chump change.

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You need at least 17mm eye relief on whatever you choose, not may choices. The Nikons, Leupolds have long eye relief . minimum 17mm, 18-20 is better. 8X will be easy, 10X a little harder to find.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can confirm that the Pentax 8x42 DCF works great with glasses. I wear glasses and have a pair of the Pentax. I am looking to replace mine since I chipped the objective lenses. I have a large nose and deep set eyes so I am looking for 20 mm of eye relief. Zeiss's tend to run short of that. The Swarovski EL Swarovision's have long eye relief.

How much eye relief you need depends on the shape of your face. You really need to try some to find out what you need. Most manufacturers give eye relief in their specs.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
lewdogg21,

I'm with Buzzaw on this one(17mm eye relief or more should solve your problem).

I own and love my Minox German HG 8x43BRs. With the Minox's 19mm eye relief I see the full field of view before my eye glass lenses hit the rubber eye cups.

Another good one is the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42s(18mm eye relief). And, yet another good one at roughly half the price of the Minox and Zeiss are the Vortex Viper HD 8x42s(20mm eye relief).

Depending on how old your binos are, any of the above 3 binos will likely be very close(if not equal) optically to your Leicas and should solve your problem.

As was mentioned earlier, stick with 8x. 10x will be hard to find without compromising eye relief.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have no problem with eyeglasses and 10x Swaro El Ranges and 10x42 SLCs. I compared 8x and 10x sets of El Range binos, and didn't see any practical eye relief advantage with the 8x's.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the 7x42 but all the ones I have are now discontinued models.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for the help guys. I will check out some glass at sportsmens this weekend.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look at the new Leupold McKinley's. I have a pair of the 10X42 and they worked for me this year with my progressive eye glasses. They are at Leupold now getting the slack taken out of the diopter. They have re-done these with a new model, fixing the problem I had. I'm hoping they will send me a new pair !!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use my Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42, with my glasses, no problem.

T
T
I was the winner of a nice set of Zeiss binos in January. That pair of binos works very well with my eyeglasses as they have a long enough eye relief for eyeglass use.

One of the most aggravating things for me as an eyeglass wearer is that many binos and spotters have such short eye relief that you must remove your glasses to be able to get a full field of view. One of these days, maybe optics companies will realize that everyone should be wearing glasses when shooting for safety if nothing else and design their optics for the situation.

EJ

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. I've found that the zeiss conquest provide the best full field of view from what they had at my local sporting goods store to look through. I also will look at the zen ray prime HD's since they list 20 mm of eye relief.

Consequently I'm selling both my leica's.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8663283/F_S_2_pairs_of_Leica_binocular

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Like other posts mentioned, you need minimum of 14mm eye relief from the binoculars to make sure there is no issue with glasses. I use my 10x43 ZEN ED3 with my glasses on without any problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lewdogg21,

I also wear glasses. After looking through several which cost considerably more, I purchased a Bushnell 8X42 Legend Ultra HD Rain Guard. The only one I considered better was the Swarovski. The price difference was more than $2,000, though.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I tried the zen ray prime in 10x42 which advertise 20mm eye relief. I then compared them to the zeiss 8x42 conquests in person and it was an easy choice b/c the zeiss gave me a full field of view. Now keep in mind maybe it's b/c I was using the 10x42's but I scored a demo pair of conquests from Cameraland so I'm done looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.